GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dumb Hub Centric Ring Question

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Apply a generous amount of anti-seize to the hubs and the metal ones will not weld themselves to your car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've had the plastic ones for 60,000 miles and they haven't melted.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I used plastic ones the entire time too, only time I had metal ones are the ones Tire Rack installed on the wheels and they pretty much stayed with the wheels. I'd more worry about the aluminum one getting stuck to the hub overtime, probably less of an issue if you remove them frequently and inspect and reapply anti-seize as needed.

I replace my plastic ones maybe once every couple years.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have aluminum ones, but my wheels are off the car 2 to 3 times a month, so not an issue. For long term use on a street car, I'd use plastic. I tried plastic on my old non-PP car and the heat from track use melted the center cap and plastic hub ring.

It comes down to use case.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I have plastic ones that are aging a bit (came with my wheels, and were used on a dedicated track car), and most of them have started to crumble. Almost all of them are cracked or split in some way, and they still need anti-seize. Personally aluminum makes more sense to me so you don't need to replace them over time.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I have plastic ones that are aging a bit (came with my wheels, and were used on a dedicated track car), and most of them have started to crumble. Almost all of them are cracked or split in some way, and they still need anti-seize. Personally aluminum makes more sense to me so you don't need to replace them over time.

Plastic doesn't need antiseize, full stop. It's actually possible the antiseize actually caused stress corrosion cracking, which would explain the crumbling/cracking PC spacers (polycarbonate is VERY sensitive to many chemicals). Or you hit em with brakekleen at some point...

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Metal made more sense to me, until I was in my driveway, in the dark, with a mallet and chisel, trying to remove a metal ring that wouldn't budge. I ended up using a very large flathead screwdriver, prying it between the ring and hub, and twisting it to release the ring. Not fun when you have an early snow storm coming and summer wheels/tires are still on the car, lol.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Metal made more sense to me, until I was in my driveway, in the dark, with a mallet and chisel, trying to remove a metal ring that wouldn't budge. I ended up using a very large flathead screwdriver, prying it between the ring and hub, and twisting it to release the ring. Not fun when you have an early snow storm coming and summer wheels/tires are still on the car, lol.

Metal is a bad idea for a DD. Metal is the right answer for people that track/autocross and wheels are swapped often.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Plastic doesn't need antiseize, full stop. It's actually possible the antiseize actually caused stress corrosion cracking, which would explain the crumbling/cracking PC spacers (polycarbonate is VERY sensitive to many chemicals). Or you hit em with brakekleen at some point...

I never used anti-seize, but they still stuck to my wheel hub so bad I needed to break them off with a chisel and hammer after soaking them in WD40 (in a very similar situation to Faceman). Maybe anti-seize is a bad idea for other reasons, so never mind on that, but just because they're plastic won't prevent them from sticking to your hub.