GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSOmegaX Mk.7R Build

dsomegax

Ready to race!
Next up was a visit to AU Tuning as it was finally time to give the R both the Stage 1 ECU and TCU tune. In my case, I ultimately decided to go with APR.

I know there will also be discussions about which company's tune is better; to me, at the end of the day, my opinion is that the differences are pretty much negligible, especially since I don't really plan on bringing the car to the track (maybe every now and then). I decided to go with APR due to the local support in my area and my previous experience with their software on my mk6 GTI.

Likewise, there's already plenty of driving impressions from mk7 Golf/GTI/R owners with APR's software, so there's really not much else I can add to the praises already given. What I will say is that what surprises me the most about the car's performance is not the power or the speed, but the way power is delivered; the engine runs as smoothly as it ever has, which makes it incredibly easy to build up speed without realizing it. I'm finding myself checking the speedometer much more frequently than I use to because I'm hitting 85+ without realizing it :eek:. Needless to say, my drives since having the software installed is painting a permanent grin on my face :D.

Last edited:

dsomegax

Ready to race!

Looking forward to this weekend's project. Now that I've driven this car with a stage 1 tune for 3 months, it's time to start progress towards stage 2 by starting with some supporting modifications:

APR intake, turbo inlet, turbo muffler delete
APR catch can
APR boost tap
APR boost hoses
GFB diverted valve
APR boost gauge

Also throwing in double apex's garage door opener into the mix.

I'll be adding on later in the coming weeks/months with the APR intercooler, as well as upgrading the brake pads/lines.

Last edited:

rubbishR

loving your R and BRZ, I have a series10 frs that i'm selling. Thinking about getting either a mk7 gti or A3 2.0 "quattro", I wish I could afford a golf R/S3 at the moment but trying to finish my degree first.

dsomegax

Ready to race!
loving your R and BRZ, I have a series10 frs that i'm selling. Thinking about getting either a mk7 gti or A3 2.0 "quattro", I wish I could afford a golf R/S3 at the moment but trying to finish my degree first.

Thanks man! You can't go wrong with either car (I would recommend the GTI over the A3 to save some money though).

Last edited:

dsomegax

Ready to race!
All the APR items were installed over the weekend with the exception of some of the silicone hoses (throttle body and intercooler hoses). I'll be putting in an intercooler next so might as well do all that together.

I also ended up not installing the DV as well. I was really struggling to get enough clearance with everything concentrated around the turbo (seriously, with the catch can hoses and boost gauge sensor in that area as well, I just couldn't find space to also have the DV). Could be just failure on my part and maybe I'll give it a shot in the future (as I plan to install the VWR Turbo 90 pipe), but seems like the DV has also gotten mixed reviews as far as actual improvement.

dsomegax

Ready to race!
Its been a couple months since the last post, which reflects the slow progress being made to the car. But, I'm happy to say I finally got the car in at AU Tuning and Auto Tuned for its stage 2 upgrades. Had the downpipe, turbo inlet pipe, full silicone hose kit, and intercooler from APR installed into the vehicle. Have to say, the power is just vicious even on 91oct. The car really is just a riot now but the truly surprising experience for me is not just how fast the car accelerates, but how smoothly it gets there (really going to have to be careful or there will be some speeding tickets soon in my life).

Between the upgrades made for both my cars, it sure makes the decision of which car to drive every day harder and harder. The differences between the two are greatly distinct though, and not at all surprising: one is just a sledgehammer in a straight line, the other just connects you to the road in the corners. The power in the Golf R does expose some areas that will need some immediate attention, which are the tires and upgraded engine and transmission mounts. Also thinking of adding the unibrace UB down below as well.

Last edited:

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Engine bay shots are sharp! Glad to hear about the smooth power. Have to imagine STG2 is a riot.

Mak_Attack

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you like the APR Boost Gauge? I'm trying to decide and have heard the APR can be noisy. I do like that it matches well and comes pre wired.

dsomegax

Ready to race!
Do you like the APR Boost Gauge? I'm trying to decide and have heard the APR can be noisy. I do like that it matches well and comes pre wired.

Yeah the gauge kind of makes a constant ticking noise when the car is idle. It doesn't bother me as I almost always have music on (which more than easily drowns out the noise), and even when music isn't playing I don't consider it loud enough to be a nuisance but YMMV. I have heard some on youtube that seem to be overly noisy but those seem to be considered defective by APR and were replaced.