GOLFMKV

DSOmegaX Mk.7R Build

dsomegax

Ready to race!
DSOmegaX
2016 Volkswagen Golf R DSG DCC+Nav
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited | Build Thread

Introduction
Hey everyone, starting this thread to document my Golf R build, is a Tornado Red, DSG, DCC+Nav model and serves will as my daily driver after replacing my previous DD (2015 WRX). Modifications installed are listed with links to purchase for those interested. I was a previous mk6 GTI owner up to 2013, which was build on full APR bolt-ons and a k04 turbo, so this time I decided to get the car I wanted originally, an R :). My weekend car (although back to daily driver duties until the R arrives) is a Subaru BRZ, which has been built using all parts from the JDM-only STI BRZ tS. If you guys are interested, the full BRZ build can be found in the link provided.

Vehicle History
2015 Subaru WRX | JDM S4 Build (SOLD)
2010 Golf GTi | Full Stage 2 + k04 Turbo Build (SOLD)
2003 Mazda3 (SOLD)
1999 Nissan Maxima (SOLD)

Engine/Drivetrain
APR Stage 2 ECU Upgrade (LINK)
APR DSG TCU Upgrade (LINK)
APR Downpipe (LINK)
APR Intercooler (LINK)
APR Carbon Fiber Intake System (INTAKE | CF INLET PIPE | COOLANT HOSE)
APR Oil Catch Can System (LINK)
APR Turbo Inlet Pipe (LINK)
APR Turbo Muffler Delete (LINK)
APR Silicone Boost Hose Kit (FULL SYSTEM KIT)
APR Boost Tap (LINK)

Chassis/Suspension
MSS Sports Fully Adjustable Spring Kit (LINK)

Wheels/Brakes
Volkswagen GTI Clubsport Center Caps
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires 235/35-19

Exterior
Volkswagen European R Tail Lights (TAIL LIGHTS | HARNESS | REAR FOG)
Volkswagen Power Folding Mirrors (MIRROR ASSEMBLY | MIRROR COVERS)
Tint: Formula One Pinnacle 30 (LINK) AIR Blue Windshield (LINK)

Interior
APR Boost Gauge (LINK)
Volkswagen European R Headlight Switch (LINK)
Double Apex Garage Control (LINK)

Miscellaneous
SunTek PPF C Full Front End (LINK)

Last edited:

dsomegax

Ready to race!
So after what seemed like the longest wait, I actually received my car a week ago. Some interesting occurrences happened up to the point of receiving the car:

1. The dealership called me two weeks before my car actually arrived because the GM mistaken another red R as mine (it was a base manual). As the dealership I chose is actually pretty far from my house and it was a spur of the moment, I had actually spent $80 to uber it over. They ended up reimbursing the ride (good) and provided me a ride home even though it was at least an hour away.

2. It turns out that my car was released from port the day after I had made that initial trip to the dealership. For some reason though, it took another 9 days for the car to actually be loaded onto the delivery trunk to the dealership, and this is after my dealership called the port company a couple times to find out what the hold up was. We never got any information as to why. Needless to say I did a thorough inspection of the car when I did pick it up to make sure it wasn't due to damage or anything.

3. My original salesperson actually left the dealership in between when the car arrived in the US and when it actually made it to the dealer. He had told me he was leaving but never gave me an actual date so I was surprised that I called in one day and they told me he had already left; however, he did transfer everything to another salesperson, who ended up being just as great!

Here she was the day she finally arrived!

Ended up getting her for 40k even + tax, title, and license. Despite the frustration of not receiving the car near the estimated date, I was just incredibly relieved to finally pick her up. The first steps was to naturally protect her best I can, which meant it was in for tint (30% all around, 80% blue tint windshield), paint correction, paint sealant (opticoat), and clear bra (suntek ppfc on the full front end, side skirts, and the piano black trims because those things swirl like no other)

And here are the cars together!

So now comes the fun part. I have the euro LED tail lights on order as well as the rear fog wire and switch on its way for retrofit. I will be following that up with the power folding mirrors with the chrome silver covers. Then comes the actual modding, most likely starting with VWR springs and mounts. Still haven't chosen what direction or company I want to use for power mods but I am taking this build slowly overall so plenty of time to think it over.

dsomegax

Ready to race!
European Golf R Tail Lights

First mod in! (well, second really but putting in the switch took less than 10 seconds)

Since this mod is pretty much de facto there's not much for me to really add. Smooth and easy install, just takes time to safely remove and put back all the interior trim and to wire and tuck everything nice and neat. Definitely a little nerve racking when removing some of the trim since the car is still new, meaning some panels required a little more force to pull off than what I'm usually comfortable with.

Overall, the tail lights were much needed over the stock USDM ones, especially for Tornado Red in my opinion, since the red shade on the stock tail lights blended too much with the overall body. Now there's a proper contrast here.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Workhorse [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You reward yourself kindly sir [emoji106] really wish they'd do a STI version of the BRZ, not just the "blue series" but an actual production version. I glanced your parts and mods list over and wow, quite a project. It's a definite work of art!

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
I'm from Lake Forest btw, born and raised, saw you're in Irvine...I live in Charlotte, NC now though...miss driving down PCH

dsomegax

Ready to race!
Hey, nice cars! I saw your BRZ at Cars and Coffee Aliso a little while ago I think...?

I've only gone once so you must have caught me that one time haha. I most likely will be hitting up one of them this coming Saturday (either Aliso Viejo or Costa Mesa).

I'm from Lake Forest btw, born and raised, saw you're in Irvine...I live in Charlotte, NC now though...miss driving down PCH

Oh nice. For some odd reason, lately I seem to be meeting people who now live in other cities but came from Lake Forest. Must be a VW thing :D

dsomegax

Ready to race!
Night shot before driving the other night. Loving the tail lights on the cars.

Wanted to get the folding mirrors and silver caps in December, but I've got a lot of maintenance items coming up on the BRZ. Hopefully I can still fit the mod in

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Those tails look slick, like the BRZ's especially, like that shape. Does the BRZ have any engine upgrades, turbo or anything since I know you were going for the STI version thaSubaru should of came out with? [emoji6] Didn't remember seeing anything about that...

dsomegax

Ready to race!

So its been 1 year without mods until now, and only out of necessity :D. The car was recently sideswiped by a drunk driver while my car was sitting on the street sigh, but fortunately the overall damage was minor enough that it was fixed with PDR and some detailing work (no bodywork needed to be replaced or repaired).

What did get destroyed was my driver's side mirror. So rather than having it replaced back to USDM OEM, I decided to use it as an opportunity to upgrade to the OEM power folding mirrors available in Europe/Asia. In addition, added the brushed silver mirror covers. This was a mod I've been wanting to do since I wanted to match the silver trim at the front of the car (and is why I have a silver colored banner applied to my car).

With this in mind, I am hoping to really start actually modding the vehicle. My time has really been focused on finishing up my BRZ which is why the Golf has been neglected; but with Black Friday and the holidays coming up, I'll be sure to take advantage of the numerous sales going on to pick up some parts.

Overall though, I've really just been enjoying the car for what it is. It's now at about 12000 miles after a year of ownership.

dsomegax

Ready to race!
I am happy to announce that after my year of ownership, I finally added my first performance modifications to the R!

First up is the MSS Sports adjustable spring kit. I decided on this kit based on the following:

1. It was recommended to me from a few of my friends who own Audis.
2. Reviews for MSS springs appear to be overwhelmingly positive.
3. The kit is compatible with the R's DCC system.
4. The adjustability of the kit intrigued me. Most importantly, I was looking for a kit to give the car a subtle drop and of course, being an adjustable kit, I would be able to tweak it exactly where I want it to be.

With the springs in, I got exactly what I wanted. The car feels more firm and planted, yet the ride quality remains more than comfortable. If anything, I feel as if the DCC options have shifted over 1 setting from what it was stock; what I mean by that is the system set at "Comfort" feels where "Normal" was, "Normal" feels where "Race" was, and oddly enough, I can't feel much difference between "Normal" and "Sport."

I ended up setting the car to the default height from MSS: 350mm at the rear and 345mm at the front for a very slight forward rake. With the springs settled, there is between a one and two finger gap between the tire and fender.