GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Transmission limits

jmal2005

Ready to race!
I'm surprised by the lack of discussion around what the DSG can handle in terms of horse power/ torque.

Launch control on a simple stage 2 already feels brutal on it I couldn't imagine how iffy it would feel on an is38 hybrid or anything else. How much would it suck to drop 5k and get a 450whp car only to grenade the tranny.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Launch control on a simple stage 2 already feels brutal

Yeah, with quattro:D. Gtis just spin with launch control, so its no where near the shock to the gearbox. Seems to be torque over 450ftlb on the dq250 and breaking gears becomes possible. The longer gearing of the a3 actually helps this. Otherwise the clutchs can start to slip over time. Otherwise theyre pretty stout.

jmal2005

Ready to race!
Ahhh I totally spaced out on the fact that ya'll are FWD I can see where the shock is way worse for the AWD system. 450 is quite an impressive threshold nonetheless

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
HP isn't an issue, the torque is. Google and you will find what the DQ250 is rated at. It appears that it is consistently capable of handling more torque than it's rated for. the DQ250 has been around a long time and seems to be a very reliable work horse.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
There's not much discussion because very few of them break.

Plenty of high HP MK7s on the stock trans and the only ones who have issues are the geniuses who try to run 400wtq without a trans tune.

Shaggz

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm surprised by the lack of discussion around what the DSG can handle in terms of horse power/ torque.

Launch control on a simple stage 2 already feels brutal on it I couldn't imagine how iffy it would feel on an is38 hybrid or anything else. How much would it suck to drop 5k and get a 450whp car only to grenade the tranny.
do u have tcu tune? that will clean up the slop

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!

The IS38 might actually be a little easier on the transmission, since the torque curve is a little higher and spool takes a little longer. Torque kills transmissions (and engines) and this little puppy has been around for a long time in mk5/6/CC etc. 400ft/lbs is generally thought to be the upper limit of what is safe. Horsepower is mainly irrelevant as it is a measure derived from torque to measure amount of work done, at least until you get into very high numbers.

If you are looking for safety, lean towards tunes that use timing instead of outright boost. The ECU can retard timing if it's too aggressive (knock detection), but I don't think the same is true for boost. Generally, boost has a more linear relationship with torque than advanced timing IIRC.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
interesting timing on this thread for me. I just went from a map 2 on the jb4 that adds a peak of 5.4 psi of boost up to around 6k to a more aggressive map 6 with a peak of 7 psi around 6k.

I logged a WOT pull in 3rd with a shift into 4th and got two instances of DSG clutch slippage. take a look at the log here.
https://datazap.me/u/jd7/log-1521412103?log=0&data=1-4

Ambient temp was 32 f.

I talked to George Smooth about this and he said slip is unusual for the DSG at the torque generated by this added boost especially for the IS20.

he thinks it could be an under-filled DSG or somehow malfunctioning.

I may get the DSG service just to rule out the under fill potential.

jmal2005

Ready to race!
I've personally had no DSG issues and my TCU is not tuned. Running map 2, e30 blend, intake, downpipe.

What exactly does the DSG slip feel like to you? I'm curious.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I've personally had no DSG issues and my TCU is not tuned. Running map 2, e30 blend, intake, downpipe.

What exactly does the DSG slip feel like to you? I'm curious.

The RPMs shoot up without the car necessarily moving faster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If my math is correct, the drum (and the clutchpack) is spinning at 100 revolutions per second at 6,000 RPM. So if the DSG takes 10ms to shift (probably closer to 8ms but close enough) the clutches slip for one revolution. You might not feel it, but the clutches slip all of the time. If there's insufficient clamping pressure, the clutches will wear out. One second of slip equals 100 spins of the clutches and commensurate wear.