GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Stick Change Out - Need some info.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I plan to remove my DSG stick and install the Clubsport model.
I have watch several videos but wanted to see if any one had more info or has best way to do this.

I know the locking ring has to be removed and the trigger pin pulled from the long center plastic rod. I have seen two ways to do this and one video suggested not prying the plastic post off the pin but rather pull trigger toward the radio to remove and to not let the trigger go back in until the new shifter is in place and then install. The new shifter has a new metal clamp ring but I know a special clamp tool is used to tighter it down. Looks like a tool similar to installing hog rings in upholstery work would be used. Is this tool available at local places or is there another tool that will work? I know a zip tie has been used but the metal clamp would be better long term.

Not a hard project but wanted to do my homework before I started in.

Any suggestions and good video links would be nice.

Thanks!

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
If memory serves, the metal clamp is just a oetiker clamp and you can use a oetiker clamp tool to clamp it proper. Yeah don't pry. Take the cover off and do it the way you're supposed to. Images attached.

Attachments

• dsg1.JPG
    dsg1.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,270
  • dsg2.JPG
    dsg2.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,260

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Anybody have extra info?
More info always hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got rid of the stock shifter and installed a Momo knob with a home-made adapter. So you may say I have some experience removing the stock part. If you can elaborate a little bit more on what you are trying to do in regard to the clubsport part, I may be able to provide some input.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I got rid of the stock shifter and installed a Momo knob with a home-made adapter. So you may say I have some experience removing the stock part. If you can elaborate a little bit more on what you are trying to do in regard to the clubsport part, I may be able to provide some input.

My stock DSG handle is developing two small bubbles under the metal trim on the handle top. I have heard others with this issue. I am gentle with my shifter so not sure why it is starting. So I found the CSS shifter number from the forum and ordered one from CSS. So I will be removing OE and replacing with OE.
The CSS comes with the long plastic center rod and a new clamp ring.
I have watched all videos on you tube but wanted to find the correct way.
Info has been provided in this thread which will help, but just seeing if more.
I have the tool to cut of the OE ring and ordered the tool to install and clamp the new ring. I think the best way is to remove the top black leather piece so I can see the thin plastic rod at the top. Pull bottom plate up to cut the metal ring Then pull trigger button out and hold out. One video showed the user sliding a paper clip under to hold it out. I now assum with trigger being out now will free the plastic rod and I can pull off.

Reuse plastic rod or should new be installed. Is it easy to remove the plastic rod?
Then holding trigger out on CSS shifter, slide it on. Make sure pin from trigger goes in top hole. Shifter should feel solid and not move once down in place. Put metal ring in place and crimp down to hold. Put bottom plate in place. Put top cover on stick. Done and enjoy.

My plan. Just waiting on clamp tool.

Neilsdeal

Ready to race!
I swapped my DSG knob to the Clubsport part. It took all of 5 minutes and was really straight forward once I had popped everything open. I recall not removing the plastic rod as it seemed unnecessary; hooking the rod to the new shifter took a few tries, but I was just afraid I was going to break it.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I swapped my DSG knob to the Clubsport part. It took all of 5 minutes and was really straight forward once I had popped everything open. I recall not removing the plastic rod as it seemed unnecessary; hooking the rod to the new shifter took a few tries, but I was just afraid I was going to break it.

Did you wire tie the location the collar is located or install collar provided?

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Clubsport DSG Stick Install. Finally!

Edit: Link to part.

https://cars245.com/en/item/audi-volkswagen-5G1713203QUCX-gear-shift-cover/

First off let me thank everyone for info and help as I was getting ready for install. More info always helps make it easy. Delayed by Christmas and work I had a sunny dry day this afternoon so made the change.

I have always wanted the Clubsport stick and when my OE stick showed some small bubbles under the metal part on top I went ahead and ordered from CARS245. Not sure why they developed as I am easy with the stick. Started at the edge next to top leather cap. I got the part number from the huge Clubsport parts thread. (Thanks again). Part arrived in 2 weeks or less. Hope pics are ok, brightened them so you could see better, as I am using my iPhone 8. Many pics, so let’s get started.

Tools.
In this thread a forum member gives the name of the tool for the metal clamp. I ordered one from Amazon. A good cutter is used to cut existing metal clamp. Interior tool used to remove leather top part of shifter.

Push forward on base of shifter and pull front up. Once up work back end out.

Using interior trim tool put tip in slot on bottom side toward rear of car. Push from this location up. Must go up. Takes some force and comes off all at once. Picked both up from floor of car as they pop off. FYI, old and new tops fit Clubsport should you break it.

Unclip electrical plug and slowly pull out.

Now the metal clamp is cut. I cut at the tightening location. Easy to reach. Get a good hold and clamp hard to cut.

Pull clamp off.

Pin locked in old shifter.

Pull DSG finger trigger out. I used rubber gloves to get better grip. Older hands do not grip as well. When you pull trigger keep holding and pull shifter up. Does not take a lot. As it slides off you hear it click. Trigger now remains out on old stick. Do not force the old stick off or one could break the center plastic plunger piece, which would not be good. New plunger piece with Clubsport does not work. Not sure why different or why with Clubsport as shifter is similar.

This is OE shifter. With trigger pulled out, pin is facing down, ready for reinstall if one wanted to. One person warned, not to pull trigger in this position until installed. Clubsport comes with trigger in this out position.

Install covered in the next thread so pics upload for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Prok

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Clubsport DSG Shifter Install.

Clubsport in the install position. Trigger out.

Clubsport shifter sitting on top. About to push down in place lightly.

After Clubsport trigger pushed in.
Before you pull trigger make sure shifter down. Should feel solid with no rotation. Pin should look like it will slide in once you pull trigger.

Metal clamp comes with Clubsport shifter. Rotate toward right side of car in left hand drive. Easier to clamp from passenger side.

Tool ready to clamp. You can not over tighten easily. Stop toward you prevents this. Firm even squeeze. Clamp now should not move.

Slide leather top on. Straight down as two fingers toward rear seats hook on shifter. Push on smoothly. No super effort needed here. A clean fit.

Plug in electrical plug till it clicks in place. Push boot plate down. Work back seat side into position. Then lower front until about 5mm from being in place. Push down. I used heal of hand to tap in place. Clamps in once down. No brute force.

Now Enjoy as it looks great.
The design is better than USA OE piece. I had the carbon fiber side pieces on my OE stick. So I ordered a new set for the Clubsport. Added them prior to install, as it was easier to do in garage. Ordered from Aliexpress. Just search MK7 DSG Carbon Fiber. Fit perfect like the first set. Use micro 3M tape which comes on parts. Lightly put in place. Check alignment and slowly push down adjusting as needed. Very well made. I like the look and extra thickness. The Clubsport has leather sides like my Autobahn had. FYI.

Might be favorite mod but has some other competition!

Black and White picture.

Last edited:

mensaman

Ready to race!
Great write up as always sandman.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is the only difference the two red stripes?

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Great write up as always sandman.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is the only difference the two red stripes?

Alcantara leather boot.
Red stripes.
Metal strips on top are smaller due to added stripes. So cosmetic.
The shift button on front feels like it is out more. It is correctly in place and working but feels a little taller. Not much but a little.

First picture is from Internet. Show the boot. Dark here now so I cannot get a good picture. You can see part of the Clubsport seats also.

My OE shifter and pics of CF pieces if some have never seen. Located in my build thread also. Cost on Ali-express around $20. Good price for quality part. 100% carbon fiber. Wafer thin.

Last edited: