GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Shifts Wayyy Past Redline!

Buffa

I bring this up only because I had no idea until I realized it from another post in this forum. I'm not in front of my car right now, but I think if you look closely at the tach, there is a thin red line up to about 7200RPM, and then above that, the red line is thicker. So true redline seems to be 7200RPM where the fuel shutoff mentioned earlier should kick in. I've never seen partial and full redlines on a tachometer until this car. I know some cars do an orange to red transition if I remember right. But the thin versus thick line is super subtle and easy to miss.

Yoliber

Ready to race!
I'm curious about the whole D (Normal mode), versus S (Race, or my custom mode)....

Preference wise, I like to use Race (or my custom mode which is race but softer suspension), but in the winter, those higher RPM on a cold motor makes me unsure it's a great idea.

Should I be warming up and driving along in D until a higher oil temp and then switching to Race/Custom which hits the higher RPM?

Or does none of this really matter?

If you’re talking about your individual driving mode, that doesn’t affect the transmission and you’re fine. If you see engine or drivetrain in the settings what it really is talking about is throttle mapping in the gas pedal. Meaning gas pedal is more sensitive in sport.

The transmission software is changed by pushing the gear lever down past D. This toggles between D and S and is independent of your custom/race mode.

I’m sure the car is fine with S in cold start because the tranny wouldn’t want to nuke itself. Id just prevent playing around in manual mode until the engine is up to tempt.

I'm curious about the whole D (Normal mode), versus S (Race, or my custom mode)....

Preference wise, I like to use Race (or my custom mode which is race but softer suspension), but in the winter, those higher RPM on a cold motor makes me unsure it's a great idea.

Should I be warming up and driving along in D until a higher oil temp and then switching to Race/Custom which hits the higher RPM?

Or does none of this really matter?

Regardless of whether you're in D or S for the DSG, you should try your best to keep it below 2,500 RPM until you get your oil temp up above 175 degrees Fahrenheit.

The Sport mode auro on DSG will bring it past that RPM pretty much every shift. So if you use Sport mode with oil still cold, then just manually shift it yourself before 2,500rpm and that should be fine.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
I'm surprised this car lets you use "S" on a cold engine. On my Subaru, it locked you out of S/S# mode until things warmed up a bit - not the full ~15 minutes or so to get to 180 degrees, but for at least the first 5 minutes or so (I don't recall the temp).

I don't live in a cold climate, but when it does get cold (for us), I try to take things easy until I at least get an oil temp reading on the dash. Unlike someone else's advice, I actually do put it in manual mode more on a cold start.

That way I can keep the RPM in the 2000-3000 range to help bring the oil temp up quicker. As the manual instructs, I just avoid full throttle unless the engine is fully warm. Then again, full throttle situations don't often present themselves during my congested commute :(

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Have you noticed D seems to use more boost than S while in normal/slow acceleration, presumably because it's keeping the RPMs quite a bit lower? Mine seems to use it more in D while driving gently, and I wonder if it's better to be at somewhat higher RPMs with less turbo use until the oil is warm, or lower engine RPMs with a bit more turbo use while still warming up in the winter?

I don't think it does. You just naturally get off the throttle some as your RPMs climb if you aren't trying to accelerate quickly and NA power starts to be enough for normal acceleration without much boost.

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Regardless of whether you're in D or S for the DSG, you should try your best to keep it below 2,500 RPM until you get your oil temp up above 175 degrees Fahrenheit.

The Sport mode auro on DSG will bring it past that RPM pretty much every shift. So if you use Sport mode with oil still cold, then just manually shift it yourself before 2,500rpm and that should be fine.

This makes sense to me. Thank you.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Have you noticed D seems to use more boost than S while in normal/slow acceleration, presumably because it's keeping the RPMs quite a bit lower? Mine seems to use it more in D while driving gently, and I wonder if it's better to be at somewhat higher RPMs with less turbo use until the oil is warm, or lower engine RPMs with a bit more turbo use while still warming up in the winter?

I've noticed this too. It did make me wonder if it's better to keep the RPM's lower or the boost lower until the oil is at operating temp. I would imagine keeping the boost lower is the better alternative if it matters at all.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Bringing up this old thread. I’ve had this happen a few times in the past few weeks and it’s unnerving. Weird that this is normal, I almost don’t even want to race anyone because I’m not sure what will even happen. @Keehs360

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Bringing up this old thread. I’ve had this happen a few times in the past few weeks and it’s unnerving. Weird that this is normal, I almost don’t even want to race anyone because I’m not sure what will even happen. @Keehs360
I trust in the Germans and hope they know what they’re doing 😂