GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Shifter Cap Replacements - OEM+ look for cheap

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
So recently it seems that AliExpress/eBay sellers have started to carry replacement caps for the MK7 shifters. This makes for an inexpensive way to add an OEM+ look to your shifter. I went with AliExpress and I searched "Golf MK7 shifter cap".

Edit The specific seller I purchased from weeks ago has already disappeared so please don't ask for a link directly to the product if you're interested. Just search for what I wrote.

Warning: Removal of old caps was fairly easy though you will break the front bottom clips on your stock shifter trim as I think they are inaccessible and you simply have to pull them off. I personally don't think this is a big deal since, if I'm switching back (and I don't know why I would), the trim is wedged tightly into the bottom outer shifter trim ring and I don't think there would be any movement with that and 3/4 clips in place.

Got this from China to my house in 8 days. Took < 15 minutes to install.

It should be noted that there are less expensive kits with only the side caps and no center leather replacement cap, I got all three at a higher cost because my center leather piece was looking rough after 2.5 years.

Pop the shifter's center cover off by inserting a non-marking trim tool at the bottom of it and pushing upwards, comes right off. Then...

Assembly is reverse, just wiggle the side cap down into the base ring and snap into place. Easy.

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Good job! I saw that piece recently and it's been in my cart. Glad to hear install went smoothly.

Thanks man, definitely pull the trigger. They really don't seem to be any less quality than what came off my OE shifter. I'm sure these are based off of old/stolen VAG part molds or something. Even the "leather" feels the same as what's on the original shifter.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Nice write up, and thanks for sharing!

Did it come with the piece of wood as well? [emoji23]

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Readthebook clearly works in operations, and has either prepared SOPs, toolbox topics, safe work instructions, or all of the above.

Good work. Well laid out. Clear and concise without any added words. Well photographed. I'd hire ya.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Readthebook clearly works in operations, and has either prepared SOPs, toolbox topics, safe work instructions, or all of the above.

Good work. Well laid out. Clear and concise without any added words. Well photographed. I'd hire ya.

QA Engineer :p

Thanks for the kind words.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Got mine on today. Have to say I am a bit disappointed but not surprised. The black pieces are more plastic feeling than OEM, which has a softer leather type feel. For $25 from China was not expecting a basic molded plastic part. Hoping to switch out tomorrow, we will see how it holds up.

Edit:

I might be wrong. I couldn't wait and just switched it out. Following OPs instructions makes it super easy and quick. Inspecting the old pieces I realized the new ones might be same soft touch, but because they are so new it just feels harder like plastic. It's quite nice and fit is solid. I actually realized one side of my stock cover always had a broken clip and the piece shifted back and forth. I always figured it was normal, but definitely is not the case. Nice and tight fit with new cover.

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I retained my leather center, and the soft touch bits on the edge definitely have a different finish on them. However, i also chalk it up to 4 years of wear/hand grease on the center compared to one month of wear/hand grease. i've since hit it with some all-purpose interior cleaner and some leather treatment to soften it. The APC definitely got them closer in finish and suggests they'll approach the same finish eventually with enough use.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I retained my leather center, and the soft touch bits on the edge definitely have a different finish on them. However, i also chalk it up to 4 years of wear/hand grease on the center compared to one month of wear/hand grease. i've since hit it with some all-purpose interior cleaner and some leather treatment to soften it. The APC definitely got them closer in finish and suggests they'll approach the same finish eventually with enough use.

I think even the center is the same - they seem to have a wrap on them that is glued underneath.

AmalgamGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
This is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks for the great guide and pictures. How has the plastic and leather held up over the year? The fitment looks really good, even where they wrapped the leather over the edges and corners on the center cap.

Last edited: