GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG service - overfilled or underfilled?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Is there any way to check the DSG fluid level without draining the excess fluid? Pretty sure no but I just want to make sure I put the correct amount (didn’t overfill or underfill)

What would be the symptoms if it was overfilled or underfilled?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Typically if either is the case, you will get intermittent, and especially on WOT, hard/lazy shifts with audible clacking. Happened on my previous GTI after I had a 8K mile used DSG installed, and paid for an accompanying DSG flush at Smith VW. Took it to TCR in Jersey and they were like yeah dude... it's underfilled

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I wonder if I should add more fluid to mine. How sensitive is the fluid level? I get some lazy shifts after a cold start where, but at WOT and once warm everything is snappy. Taking off from lights can get strange though.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I wonder if I should add more fluid to mine. How sensitive is the fluid level? I get some lazy shifts after a cold start where, but at WOT and once warm everything is snappy. Taking off from lights can get strange though.

lazy shifts on cold starts is totally normal. that's the engine programming keeping the revs high to get the oil up to temp faster.

describe "taking off from lights can get strange."

have you ever experienced the following, or something similar:
- turn car on, give 10-15 seconds for oil to flow a bit before shifting into D and pulling away
- car accelerates fine through 1st and 2nd, but when it goes to shift to 3rd, the DSG falls on its face, makes a LOUD audible clack, and you personally feel the awkwardness transfer to the cabin/your body, as it's feels like having your foot on the gas and the shifter getting knocked into N.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
lazy shifts on cold starts is totally normal. that's the engine programming keeping the revs high to get the oil up to temp faster.

describe "taking off from lights can get strange."

have you ever experienced the following, or something similar:
- turn car on, give 10-15 seconds for oil to flow a bit before shifting into D and pulling away
- car accelerates fine through 1st and 2nd, but when it goes to shift to 3rd, the DSG falls on its face, makes a LOUD audible clack, and you personally feel the awkwardness transfer to the cabin/your body, as it's feels like having your foot on the gas and the shifter getting knocked into N.
Havent experienced that when driving, but I have experienced that when taking off from a standstill if I dont give it enough gas. Has also happened when trying to take off up a hill, if I dont give it enough gas it tries to take off then it just BANG and feels like it goes into neutral. I was wondering if a DSG tune would fix it.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Havent experienced that when driving, but I have experienced that when taking off from a standstill if I dont give it enough gas. Has also happened when trying to take off up a hill, if I dont give it enough gas it tries to take off then it just BANG and feels like it goes into neutral. I was wondering if a DSG tune would fix it.

yeah you’re describing identical symptoms to me. Never noticed elevation having anything todo with it. Happened to me most often pulling out of my own (flat) driveway lol. Like I said, turn car on, put in d, 1st gear, Coolin. second gear, totally normal. thi-*BANG*really uncomfortable bucking*engage 3rd and no more issues for a week, a month.

A DSG flush at a reputable independent shop (I use TCR - Tin Can Racing by the Jersey Shore) fixed the issue. They noted several bolts on auxiliary parts that have to be removed to get to the trans mount were missing.

I had gotten that DSG installed by Smith VW in Delaware and was charged for hardware, and they left me with less than I had going Into it lol. Figures. Not matter how much people gas up Smith VW, they’re ultimately a dealership. Stealers gonna steal.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you're having issues, I'd check it properly. Get it up to temp, and remove the drain plug (leave the inner part on) while on a level surface, and check. If stuff drains, it was overfilled and let it drain until a trickle. If nothing comes out, it was undefilled. Add a bit in.

A transmission isn't something you really want to take the chance with. Very expensive to replace if it breaks.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
If you're having issues, I'd check it properly. Get it up to temp, and remove the drain plug (leave the inner part on) while on a level surface, and check. If stuff drains, it was overfilled and let it drain until a trickle. If nothing comes out, it was undefilled. Add a bit in.

A transmission isn't something you really want to take the chance with. Very expensive to replace if it breaks.
My understanding is it’s better to slightly overfill than underfill in this scenario.

I’m pretty sure some fluid would come if I got it up to temp and removed the drain plug. I’d like to avoid having to add some back in again redoing this whole procedure...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
My understanding is it’s better to slightly overfill than underfill in this scenario.

I’m pretty sure some fluid would come if I got it up to temp and removed the drain plug. I’d like to avoid having to add some back in again redoing this whole procedure...

What I described is the official VW procedure for checking the DSG fluid level. You wouldn't have to add any back in doing that, unless it was underfilled.

Can read it yourself here. Page 115, section 9.1 - "Transmission Fluid Level, Checking"

If you're concerned about it but don't want to go through the trouble of checking it properly, I'm not sure what you want to hear or want someone to tell you.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
What I described is the official VW procedure for checking the DSG fluid level. You wouldn't have to add any back in doing that, unless it was underfilled.

Can read it yourself here. Page 115, section 9.1 - "Transmission Fluid Level, Checking"

If you're concerned about it but don't want to go through the trouble of checking it properly, I'm not sure what you want to hear or want someone to tell you.
Gotcha. I guess I was wondering if there was a way to check the level with OBD11 or VCDS but I don’t think there is.

I was under the impression that you wanted a bit more fluid than less (without overfilling it).
So the correct amount is leaving the inner plug in, opening the main drain plug and leaving excess fluid out until it’s a steady drip?

When I did it, I got the DSG to temp, let it drain a bit and plugged it back (it wasn’t a small steady drip)