GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG service method....

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Interesting. Can you give me an example of something he does that makes you cringe?.
Impact gun to the strut nut.
I’m super OCD about how I work on my car and I’ve seen a few “shortcut” methods being performed. Do they get the job done? Probably, but not how I would want it done on my car.

markfhp

Buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EH4V0Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006CN9FNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you have a 8mm & 14mm allen head sockets for the drains and 24mm socket for the filter cover.

• Put vehicle on jack stands/ramps on even lift.
  • Pull intake, battery, battery tray.
  • Pull Filter and leave open.
  • Grab drain bucket and pull first 14mm plug. Let drain for 10 min.
  • Pull 8mm plastic drain plug inside 14mm drain plug. Most of the fluid now will come out. Let drain for 15 min.
  • While waiting for fluid to drain clean up filter housing, remove old o ring. Lube up new o ring and install on housing.
  • Once fluid is finished draining grab the plastic plug and install. I recommend this to only be hand tight meaning tighten with the socket and your hand, no ratchet attached.
  • Clean the outer area on the drain and make sure you have removed the old washer. Grab new washer and install with drain plug. Torque to 33 ft lbs.
  • Grab your funnel, remove the inner screen (optional but speeds up the process)
  • Insert funnel into the center tube in the filter base and start pouring your fluid. Once you get 4.6-4.7 ltrs filled remove funnel.
  • Grab filter, lube up o ring inside the bottom of the filter and install. Push slowly to prevent a splash.
  • Grab housing with freshly lubed new o ring and install. Torque to 15 ft lbs.

Reinstall battery tray, battery and intake and you just saved hundreds.
Just did this for first time.
Used the Motul kit from Amazon. Put in 4.7 liters. Took the screen out of the funnel and it flowed right in no problem.
Only issue I had was a slight leak around the filter housing. Took it off a second time, tossed the aftermarket washer and reinstalled the OEM one. (I'm sure it'll last another 40K.) :)
Old oil looked good, but I can feel a big difference (which is kinda scary). Before, when I backed out of the garage, I'd feel a CLUNK as the clutch engaged. This time, I put it into R and ... nothing. I thought, "Dang, it's not working!" But it is. It's just crazy smooth.
Thanks for a great write-up.
P.S. I have a 2017 GTI SE

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EH4V0Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006CN9FNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you have a 8mm & 14mm allen head sockets for the drains and 24mm socket for the filter cover.

• Put vehicle on jack stands/ramps on even lift.
  • Pull intake, battery, battery tray.
  • Pull Filter and leave open.
  • Grab drain bucket and pull first 14mm plug. Let drain for 10 min.
  • Pull 8mm plastic drain plug inside 14mm drain plug. Most of the fluid now will come out. Let drain for 15 min.
  • While waiting for fluid to drain clean up filter housing, remove old o ring. Lube up new o ring and install on housing.
  • Once fluid is finished draining grab the plastic plug and install. I recommend this to only be hand tight meaning tighten with the socket and your hand, no ratchet attached.
  • Clean the outer area on the drain and make sure you have removed the old washer. Grab new washer and install with drain plug. Torque to 33 ft lbs.
  • Grab your funnel, remove the inner screen (optional but speeds up the process)
  • Insert funnel into the center tube in the filter base and start pouring your fluid. Once you get 4.6-4.7 ltrs filled remove funnel.
  • Grab filter, lube up o ring inside the bottom of the filter and install. Push slowly to prevent a splash.
  • Grab housing with freshly lubed new o ring and install. Torque to 15 ft lbs.

Reinstall battery tray, battery and intake and you just saved hundreds.

Huge thanks for this! Just finished the job in my garage with the Amazon funnel and kit from FCP Euro. Hardest part was getting the battery tray out. :ROFLMAO:

I had the car level up on ramps/jack stands and I have OBDEleven, so even though I did the top fill method, I brought it up to 100ºF, left it running, and cracked open the trans to make sure I had the correct amount of fluid in. A decent amount came out so I'm glad I did that.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
For anyone who comes across this, the Pentosin kit is still only around $100 at RockAuto, no need to overpay for VW labels on the bottle. Or buy the kit from
FCP and just pay shipping to send the old oil back.
1679624613674.png