GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG ruins it for me

Dadbus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 R DSG, 997.1 GT3
Honestly, I think VW makes a fantastic dual clutch gearbox. Driving my R in sport mode, it upshifts very nicely at the correct part of the rev range. I am very surprised and pleased by this car thus far. I think its a better gearbox than my previous F80 M3 DCT.

The best auto gearbox I've experienced was the 991 911 PDK I drove a couple years back, simply amazing.

mattkosem

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'24 GTI
Honestly, I think VW makes a fantastic dual clutch gearbox. Driving my R in sport mode, it upshifts very nicely at the correct part of the rev range. I am very surprised and pleased by this car thus far. I think its a better gearbox than my previous F80 M3 DCT.

The best auto gearbox I've experienced was the 991 911 PDK I drove a couple years back, simply amazing.
You won't experience the very specific thing discussed in the prior posts if you drive in either automatic mode. It only occurs in manual mode (race or normal gearbox), only in a specific rev range (~2700-4000rpms), and only under a specific range of load levels (~4-8PSI of boost). Even manually shifting under the exact same conditions in either auto mode avoids the issue.

They are, in general, great gearboxes. There's just an idiotic software problem that makes it seem far less awesome for those of us who prefer to drive in manual mode 100% of the time.

--Matt

Rob_G

Sorry for late reply. I've been really busy with work because of the pandemic stuff.

Know what it's like when you drop the clutch a bit too quickly and there's a jerk? That's what mine does 2nd to 3rd a lot of the time. It's annoying as heck in city driving and I constantly find myself trying to drive the car in a way to avoid it. S shifting or manual shifting seems to be the way to go. It's probably worse now @15,000kms than when the car was new.

I've been having other gremlins pop up with this car, nothing too serious, but all annoying.

Radio gets 'stuck' with volume only coming out of front left speaker - not fixed (reset helped once, but it's messed up again)
Driver and passenger windows roll down when trying to roll up, like they jammed - not fixed
Creaking front suspension bushings (both A-Arm bushings now replaced)

I don't know if the radio issue is a firmware problem or electronic. I've had it in once already for this problem and it hasn't been fixed. I've brought up the window issue and the service manager thinks it's just the window channel being dirty (I doubt that). I think the window drive mechanism is binding and the safety system rolls it back down. I'm not sure if the rear windows are affected or not.

I also bought a new 2020 Z4 M40i convertible several weeks ago so the Golf R has been getting neglected a lot when the weather is nicer. Originally I wanted a different car with a sunroof. Ended up with a convertible and am super happy with it!

Rob

Last edited:

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Sorry for late reply. I've been really busy with work because of the pandemic stuff.

Know what it's like when you drop the clutch a bit too quickly and there's a jerk? That's what mine does 2nd to 3rd a lot of the time. It's annoying as heck in city driving and I constantly find myself trying to drive the car in a way to avoid it. S shifting or manual shifting seems to be the way to go. It's probably worse now @15,000kms than when the car was new.

I've been having other gremlins pop up with this car, nothing too serious, but all annoying.

Radio gets 'stuck' with volume only coming out of front left speaker - not fixed (reset helped once, but it's messed up again)
Driver and passenger windows roll down when trying to roll up, like they jammed - not fixed
Creaking front suspension bushings (both A-Arm bushings now replaced)

I don't know if the radio issue is a firmware problem or electronic. I've had it in once already for this problem and it hasn't been fixed. I've brought up the window issue and the service manager thinks it's just the window channel being dirty (I doubt that). I think the window drive mechanism is binding and the safety system rolls it back down. I'm not sure if the rear windows are affected or not.

I also bought a new 2020 Z4 M40i convertible several weeks ago so the Golf R has been getting neglected a lot when the weather is nicer. Originally I wanted a different car with a sunroof. Ended up with a convertible and am super happy with it!

Rob

Thanks for swinging back by a month later! :)

nype

Drag Racing Champion

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Unless things have changed race mode is the same as toggling the shift lever to S. Doesn't matter what the mode is set to.
Selecting Race mode changes *all* parameters to Race/Sport (engine noise, steering, DCC, differential lock, etc). Toggling the shifter to "S" changes *only* the transmission. "S" Drive is not full-on Race mode, just part of it.

Last edited:

mattkosem

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'24 GTI
Know what it's like when you drop the clutch a bit too quickly and there's a jerk? That's what mine does 2nd to 3rd a lot of the time. It's annoying as heck in city driving and I constantly find myself trying to drive the car in a way to avoid it. S shifting or manual shifting seems to be the way to go. It's probably worse now @15,000kms than when the car was new
K, yeah, same thing I'm talking about. Maybe contact VW about it? A bunch of other people have the same thing. Not sure if everyone, or what, but they've done nothing (in the US at least) to attempt to solve this so far.

Rob_G

K, yeah, same thing I'm talking about. Maybe contact VW about it? A bunch of other people have the same thing. Not sure if everyone, or what, but they've done nothing (in the US at least) to attempt to solve this so far.

Yeah, I've been in touch with the dealer and they say it's 'normal'. I have to wait until May 12th to get the radio looked at again. That issue I have not seen reported before. And the way the dealership explains the window issue, it sounds like they are trying to say it's not a warranty thing. They don't even seem interested in looking at it.

Rob