GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG ruins it for me

Rob_G

I've had a few complaints in to the dealership about the DSG on my '18 R, but nothing has been done so far. Specifically it's the 2nd to 3rd gear shift that just annoys the hell out of me so much that I have begun to hate driving the car. The very few times the DSG behaves I start to forgive it, but the problem now happens about 90% of the time. Sometimes its more pronounced and other times it is subtle. The trouble is I am so keyed into the issue that even the subtle shit shifts I notice. And it just frustrates me so much. Race mode generally has no issues shifting, neither does manual mode. It's just the Standard mode.

Rob

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
so....what does it do?
right?

OP either use manual mode (car is more fun that way anyways) or you'll probably have to get a dsg tune... idk. Stock tcu programming leaves something to be desired. Been that way with every dsg, the dq381 is no exception.

Last edited:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
My '18 changes daily. Sometimes the 1-2 shift seems "soft" as if it's slipping the clutch on release for 2nd and sometimes it's harsh. Other times 2-3 is the harsh shift and everything after that is peachy. Some days while driving calmly without a care in the world makes me think "WTF is going on there?" (when it should just be lumbering along without weirdness) and other days I don't notice a thing. Mostly I give it a bit more throttle and it shifts fine. At the sacrifice of some MPGs...

So, while it's pretty quick between the gears in general, it's not the most consistent or predictable transmission I've ever driven and seems to do different things on different days at different times. So I'd agree with the OP that it's definitely annoying; but some days it's fantastic. So I've given up caring and just drive it and try not to pay attention to it anymore as it's unlikely I'm going to find something better for less money that I want to trade this for.

It doesn't ruin the experience for me but it does make me a bit disappointed sometimes.

Thurnis

Ready to race!
These are not prude Suzy homemaker cars. They are kinky mistresses like to be spanked and driven hard. They want a man who puts his foot down and tells her what to do. If you are wishy washy, it will try to guess whether you are slowing down or speeding up.

I would say get a dsg tune but if you did have a fault dsg it would probably void a warranty repair.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Can I ask you what is so bad about keeping it in Race mode? That is where I have mine all the time and I love it. You are asking VW to fix something that is not actually broken.
It's the design , not an actual fault. Standard mode is clunky, end of story. You have an engine trying to push against a mode trying to be soft. They don't match well. Manufacturing today of cars is pretty reliable. Its unlikely there is anything actually wrong with your transmission.
Do you really want some mechanic tearing your whole engine bay apart to replace the transmission and end up with a whole bunch of issues, and the same thing in the end?
Leave it in Race mode and you will forget the DSG doesn't like to be in standard. VW is not going to change anything at this point.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Can I ask you what is so bad about keeping it in Race mode? That is where I have mine all the time and I love it.

This would certainly seem like the logical solution. I leave my car in race mode 99% of the time.

Maybe use custom mode and set everything to standard except the transmission logic?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Unless things have changed race mode is the same as toggling the shift lever to S. Doesn't matter what the mode is set to.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
If you're experiencing shift shock I would just try an aftermarket DSG map. However when I had my GTI with DSG, the dogbone insert made a night/day difference for 1-2 shift during normal driving. Shift shock was basically non-existent after that mod.

Be sure to have a long cheater bar (pipe) if you do decide to try the dogbone on your Golf-R. That bolt is super tight.