GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Question - Slipping feeling at stop and go?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Just wondering if any DSG owners have experienced any odd "slipping" feeling when you come up to a stop sign, stop, move from brake to gas pedal and push..... Seems like the clutch is slipping and the car is not moving as expected but push a bit harder and it does seem to go. This is primarily when also turning too so there may be some combination of DSG/Haldex interaction that produces this odd feeling. Almost like the clutch packs are slow to respond to the request for acceleration and it's not a quick recovery, I have had it feel this way for 10-20 feet or so of movement before I give it a bit more gas and it goes.

So far, only happens at a quick stop sign and generally a turn involved. Never when stopped at a light for any significant amount of time as the car takes off normally then. This also happens in both D or S modes so that's not an issue as far as I can tell. Just when coming up to a stop sign and a quick stop and go.

I've had the car since April 2018 and it's got a bit over 16k miles on it. No major fluid service has been done yet. No codes (OBD11 or OBDII scanner). Just an odd slipping feeling sometimes.

Note that I am not a "rolling stop" driver and I come to a complete stop but sometimes the transition from brake to gas is very quick when there's clearly no one on the cross streets.

No biggie. Just wondering if I'm the only one or, if not, any input?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
That thread is more for a slightly different issues - jumping out of gear which is not quite the same as a slipping clutch feel in 1st. I have indeed had the car jump out of gear on slow accelerations out of parking lots in the past but that's quite dramatic and a hell of a bang when it does it. This current issue is more of a "not-quite-engaged" feel.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think if it was slipping on take-off you feel less turbo lag. Was it always like this? Perhaps it's a little low on DSG fluid from the factory. Is it a 2018? I'd change the fluids even though you have low mileage. I have a 2016 with only 26K and changed the fluids by time since I have the extended warranty. The old fluid was pretty clear, so yours should be too. If the Haldex was slipping, I think you feel it. You can check the screen on the pump when the fluid is changed, just make sure you have a new pump mounting gasket and IIWM I would change the mounting bolts. I think ECD has a kit. When the DSG fluid is cold I notice the operation is not as smooth as when it's warm, especially between gears if I let up between shifts. That I consider normal, since it can't read your mind.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
So far, only happens at a quick stop sign and generally a turn involved. Never when stopped at a light for any significant amount of time as the car takes off normally then. This also happens in both D or S modes so that's not an issue as far as I can tell. Just when coming up to a stop sign and a quick stop and go.

Note that I am not a "rolling stop" driver and I come to a complete stop but sometimes the transition from brake to gas is very quick when there's clearly no one on the cross streets.

No biggie. Just wondering if I'm the only one or, if not, any input?
2019 DSG R here.
Under the conditions you describe I notice the same thing. I think it is the clutch actually slipping during these basically "quick stops" which don't give the transmission a chance to fully do it's thing with dis-engagement/re-engagement. I always come to a full stop and give it a second or two before driving off.

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
For Golf Rs and GTIs equipped with the 7-speed DSG, the drivability issues described by the OP are known common issues with the DQ380/381 transmissions. The factory 7-speed software is really poorly written. It feels a lot different than a factory 6-speed DSG. I have owned both and the difference is night and day. A DSG tune on a 7-speed is a must-do. I would highly recommend TVS Engineering, arguably the best in the world at tuning VW dual-clutch gearboxes. Their Stage II+ map transformed my 7-speed and cleaned up all the factory drivability issues. In terms of other system interactions, XDS is one to look at. It applies brakes for handling purposes. You can change this with software like VCDS. In the GTI Performance Pack cars with the VAQ LSD, this can also be adjusted separately. This being a Haldex clutch pack, you could look to see if there is similar adjustability in the AWD system of the R. These systems all play into the drivability of the car.