GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG-Paddles.com Custom Replacement Paddle Shifters - review

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
I picked up some replacement DSG paddles from DSG-paddles.com and went with what they call their "Custom Replacement" model (these specifically: https://www.dsg-paddles.com/collect...dsg-replacement-paddle-shifters-for-mk7-r-gti). I wanted them because I liked the looks and color offering and because I wanted paddles that offered at least a bit more range for use for shifting. I particularly liked that the silver ones match the silver details on the steering wheel.

These arrived from the land Down Under to the northern Midwest US relatively quickly, but it's also because I'm an impatient man and opted for the expedited DHL shipping (I think it was ~$10). I ordered these on 8/14 and they arrived just under a week later, today (8/20). I also got ~$15 off using the code "15OFF" at checkout, so that covered the shipping cost and a bit more and it's what helped me justify the expedited shipping anyway. Who knows, it might've been just as fast if I went with standard. Oh well.

Anyway, I took a quick drive and they're pretty nice! Fitment is good, no noticeable wiggling or looseness and they work when pushing them from the upper or lower edges to shift. The clicking when shifting is a bit dulled since these are heaver/bigger than the stock plastic paddles, but you can still feel the click when you press them to shift.

These don't revolutionize the driving experience, but they do offer just enough extra range (for me anyway) to make shifting via the paddles a bit easier while the wheel is turned.

There's plenty of cheaper options out there, but I don't like the idea of sticking paddles on to your existing ones and I don't like the looks of the ~$25 paddles out there (though others might of course).

I've found that these met my requirements very well and I'm glad I got them! I also like how the hollowed out/skeletonized design is actually functional in that you can see the labels on the control stalks behind them. Granted, most of us have probably memorized what those controls are anyway. Still a nice touch.

All that said, I'd say these are worth the price I paid. They don't feel cheap and they don't seem overpriced like some of the other ones do to me. I'd recommend these to anyone looking for something with a clean look and more middle-of-the-road pricing compared to other options out there.

Thumbnails (click for full pic):
20200820_165508174_iOS.jpg 20200820_165527323_iOS.jpg 20200820_165545307_iOS.jpg 20200820_165612251_iOS.jpg 20200820_171125361_iOS.jpg 20200820_171130986_iOS.jpg 20200820_171134917_iOS.jpg

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Good find! I didn’t think to check AliExpress. I personally tend to be hesitant to order from there, but plenty of people have found stuff that works for them there.

For all I know DSG Paddles and the AliExpress seller may use the same supplier.

Oh well, I’m still happy with the purchase regardless