GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG oil change things we got to make it easy

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
Is there a good video on how to do this myself? I have the kit from FCP euro with all the fluid , filter ,tool and orings but I don’t have a computer to tell me fluid temp. Nervous to try to attempt this on my own. Don’t slay me guys , just don’t want to make any costly mistakes.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
No need to be nervous, its just an slightly more elaborate oil change. If you can change your engine oil and filter, you can do this too. Major difference is removing parts to get at the filter (airbox, battery, battery tray etc.). And since you take all this stuff out, it really makes it super simple to do a top fill method of replacing fluid.

Here is a ShopDAP video showing bottom fill with fluid pump:

And Charles (my fav) doing his thing:

Best and most accurate way to do this without ability to check fluid temp is to measure how much you drain and put that amount back in + about .1qt. for fluid still left in filter, ie; drain 4.7, fill with 4.8. Once you fill, just button everything up and no further need to get under the car, level all 4 corners, measure fluid temp etc. Harder to do with bottom fill method and tool since it's a tad most difficult to measure, and why most just fill with 5qts. and then drain overflow. But that requires being able to measure fluid temp within a very specific range. Plus bottom fill is way more messy than top fill. I've done many DSG changes, most with top fill and they have been pretty spot on when checked with VCDS/overflow method.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
No need to be nervous, its just an slightly more elaborate oil change. If you can change your engine oil and filter, you can do this too. Major difference is removing parts to get at the filter (airbox, battery, battery tray etc.). And since you take all this stuff out, it really makes it super simple to do a top fill method of replacing fluid.

Here is a ShopDAP video showing bottom fill with fluid pump:

And Charles (my fav) doing his thing:

Best and most accurate way to do this without ability to check fluid temp is to measure how much you drain and put that amount back in + about .1qt. for fluid still left in filter, ie; drain 4.7, fill with 4.8. Once you fill, just button everything up and no further need to get under the car, level all 4 corners, measure fluid temp etc. Harder to do with bottom fill method and tool since it's a tad most difficult to measure, and why most just fill with 5qts. and then drain overflow. But that requires being able to measure fluid temp within a very specific range. Plus bottom fill is way more messy than top fill. I've done many DSG changes, most with top fill and they have been pretty spot on when checked with VCDS/overflow method.
Thank you!!! Exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate it sir. Definitely going to tackle it myself now.

Monty9120

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf mark 7 gtd
I did the top fill on mine it took a lot longer but not as messy

I noticed from taking the sump plug off about 300ml came out which is said to be overfill from factory

I undid the gauze and emptied the oil out the bottom and put into a 5 litre container

once the filter was changed I fill up what was taken out plus about 100ml

ran the car to warm the oil a bit then undid the sump nut and let any excess from the gauze insert

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I did the top fill on mine it took a lot longer but not as messy

I noticed from taking the sump plug off about 300ml came out which is said to be overfill from factory

I undid the gauze and emptied the oil out the bottom and put into a 5 litre container

once the filter was changed I fill up what was taken out plus about 100ml

ran the car to warm the oil a bit then undid the sump nut and let any excess from the gauze insert
All good, just be sure to do the excess drain while car is running. Fill, run car through P-R-N-D and back, leave car running and remove big drain plug and let excess out. If you stop the car and drain, too much excess will come out and level will be too low.