GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jumping out of gear on take off

skboarder22a

Car(s)
18 Audi S3
Releasing the brake after a stop feathering into first gear. Just happened again today when leaving a stop sign approximately 20 seconds and leaving my house. Car was warmed up already as I arrived at my house 10 mins before to be told to get food.
Performed the whole tcm resets via accessport after being up to temp for both oil and trans.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update: stopped for almost 3 weeks then out of nowhere started up again even now sometimes twice a day.
This is always how mine is. Won't do it for months.....then out of nowhere will do it consistently for a few days.

skboarder22a

Car(s)
18 Audi S3
Have you changed your dsg fluid/filter at all? I changed mine at 38k miles and now I am at 59k miles. Wondering if I should try again. I did do the drain method when at the correct temp.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Have you changed your dsg fluid/filter at all? I changed mine at 38k miles and now I am at 59k miles. Wondering if I should try again. I did do the drain method when at the correct temp.
Have you read all the way through this post? Worth it for you - yes, the fluid has been changed and doesn't seem to have any impact on this.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Grrrr... Been happening to me again recently. Feels like it happens every single cold day after I drop off my kid at daycare and start the car. It seems to happen far more often when on a flat or slight decline. A couple of times now it popped so far out of gear that it took a second or two before the car would even move after the initial jolt.

I don't recall where now, but I read somewhere that someone got their turbo swapped by the dealer and it resolved the issue. What if the entire process is actually happening as a fail safe because it thinks the car is about to stall? My is20 is definitely leaking some oil at the bearing. No shaft play yet, but I'm willing to bet it will let go any month now...

The other day it actually got so frustrating that I spent a few hours debating on selling it for a new manual M3. Too bad they're so hideous on the front end, but I'm still considering it... I just have so much to unmod on the car before selling it :(

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Grrrr... Been happening to me again recently. Feels like it happens every single cold day after I drop off my kid at daycare and start the car. It seems to happen far more often when on a flat or slight decline. A couple of times now it popped so far out of gear that it took a second or two before the car would even move after the initial jolt.

I don't recall where now, but I read somewhere that someone got their turbo swapped by the dealer and it resolved the issue. What if the entire process is actually happening as a fail safe because it thinks the car is about to stall? My is20 is definitely leaking some oil at the bearing. No shaft play yet, but I'm willing to bet it will let go any month now...

The other day it actually got so frustrating that I spent a few hours debating on selling it for a new manual M3. Too bad they're so hideous on the front end, but I'm still considering it... I just have so much to unmod on the car before selling it :(
Exactly how I described my issues throughout this thread. I'm actually surprised there's no recall for the problem.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Exactly how I described my issues throughout this thread. I'm actually surprised there's no recall for the problem.
I'm not convinced it's a "problem" so much as some very specific software condition where it attempts to prevent a stall. Feels like a sudden clutch in and it always happens when the rpms fall as it engages.

Has anyone had this happen in the wet (active rain)? The other day I swear it felt magicly smoother which it was raining out...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Adam.....ironically, this happened to me multiple times in the last two weeks.

At standstill at light, take foot off brake and start to press gas.....it's like it's not even in gear. Then engages, then out of gear, then back in gear and fine.

Very odd.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You don't recall for a goofy one-off (one off in the scheme of a manufacturer's fleet) issue.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

It's just thinking it's goign to stall/doesn't like the myriad of parameters/variables used in the equation basically so jumps to N briefly as a fail-safe is all. Mine does it very rarely and I control it with my foot. Happened 2x the other day on the same drive....hasn't happened for months before. It's just a quirk of an automated manual.

Matt_GTD99

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf gtd mk7 2013
Following this post! I’ve just read up and my mk7 gtd is doing the same
I’ll also try to play with settings and see if I can contribute somehow

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Following this post! I’ve just read up and my mk7 gtd is doing the same
I’ll also try to play with settings and see if I can contribute somehow
It is what it is I'm afraid - this isn't a settings issue...I thiknk we have arrived at that here if you read back through. The answer is simply 1) just do a slight release of the brake first before full release to ensure clutch engagement and 2) it happens sometimes.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I hear what you're saying @tigeo , but I do think a better understanding of the parameters involved could help prevent it to some capacity.

It always happens after daycare drop off for me, and usually on second start of a warm car. I wonder if me always pulling the handbrake gets the rear pads too "glued" to the rotor and causes extra resistance at some stop after... Maybe that extra resistance bogs the engine too much?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Here's how it happens for me. Happens more often than not.

• Engine start/stop enabled. Engine off.
  • Come to a complete stop on an incline or flat surface.
  • Take foot off brakes and then let the mechatronics proceed to jerk between N and 1st. It jerks between N and 1st because the mechatronics unit is trying to prevent the engine from stalling. Give it a touch of gas and it'll enter 1st relatively smoothly or it'll dump the clutch like you're using launch control.
I think I said it before in this thread but I'm fairly sure an ex-VW mechanic said to me that the DSG in my car needed replacing. He's seen this behaviour before and it's a mechatronics issue. However I couldn't get the DSG replaced because COVID hit and now my powertrain warranty is over due to the TCU tune.