GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jumping out of gear on take off

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I also had an issue with the DSG stumbling when letting off the brake (especially when done quickly). The first DSG quirks I noticed were when the car was fairly new and 100% stock. When going from D to R or R to D, it would sometimes bang into gear if I didn't make a full stop and hesitate for a second or two. I also noticed that when slowing down, I would hear a subtle clunk when downshifting from 2 to 1. I did the Basic setting reset, and everything went back to buttery smooth and new feeling. However, over time, I have been hearing the 2 to 1 shift again, and feeling a VERY, VERY mild clunk (nobody else would notice), so I've been ignoring it.

Fast forward about 6 or 7,000 miles. I added a JB4 tune, and tweaked a few settings so I can use it on the track. It remained perfect for a few hundred miles since the changes. Then all of a sudden, yesterday, It was doing that "engage, disengage, re-engage" thing when letting off of the brake. It did it about every 4 or 5 full stops! I came home and did another DSG Basic Reset using OBD11, and once again it's shifting buttery smooth, and like new, even the 2 to 1 shift is silent. I'm not sure how long this reset will last, or why it's doing it, but I'm curious to hear if there's any solution. I'm starting to think that it's just a programming quirk.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
DSG Hill Stop/Assist

I had a performance shop completely code this out/off when my Wavetrac went in (my car rolls back on hills). What is being described in this thread is exactly how I would've described my own experiences with my DSG (intermittently) prior to my Wavetrac going in. I no longer have ANY DSG hesitations/hiccups when accelerating from a stand-still.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
DSG Hill Stop/Assist

I had a performance shop completely code this out/off when my Wavetrac went in (my car rolls back on hills). What is being described in this thread is exactly how I would've described my own experiences with my DSG (intermittently) prior to my Wavetrac going in. I no longer have ANY DSG hesitations/hiccups when accelerating from a stand-still.
Tried that, made it worse... But the fact it stopped with the wavetrac is an interesting correlation.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
DSG Hill Stop/Assist

I have played with all the settings including the hill stop from early/late etc. - zero change, still occurs sometimes.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Tried that, made it worse... But the fact it stopped with the wavetrac is an interesting correlation.

I would be surprised if the Wavetrac itself did anything to alleviate the DSG engagement hesitations/hiccups.

I have played with all the settings including the hill stop from early/late etc. - zero change, still occurs sometimes.

I have other mods that may be helping, like the full poly subframe bushing... Regardless, whatever settings they changed while my car was at their shop for the Wavetrac install, altered my car's DSG engagement noticeably. When my DSG is cold (really cold), I may experience the occasional hesitation/lash on a shift (rarely)... but this is clearly different to me/only happens when it's very cold out (<25 degrees outside temp). I've never experienced this when my car (and the DSG) has warmed up.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I would be surprised if the Wavetrac itself did anything to alleviate the DSG engagement hesitations/hiccups.

I have other mods that may be helping, like the full poly subframe bushing... Regardless, whatever settings they changed while my car was at their shop for the Wavetrac install, altered my car's DSG engagement noticeably. When my DSG is cold (really cold), I may experience the occasional hesitation/lash on a shift (rarely)... but this is clearly different to me/only happens when it's very cold out (<25 degrees outside temp). I've never experienced this when my car (and the DSG) has warmed up.
We are likely describing different issues - mine is actually coming out of gear, not just a rough start.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Did this. Haven't had this issue in a while.

Screenshot_20210313-125635_OBDeleven.jpg

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

Attachments

• not-sure-if-seriousa.jpg
    not-sure-if-seriousa.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 98

tigeo

Autocross Champion

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
@tigeo i did that reset as well a good while back and the issue wasn't present for a while, but I think I finally found how to reproduce it every single time and "solve" it in the same drive...

When it's cold out, I take a short drive of 15 mins or so and the engine is warm, but I think dsg isn't fully hot yet (need to verify exact temp). I then have the car in sport mode. When I turn off the car then start it again it will drop into gear, clunk out, and re-engage again on every single stop that it doesn't utilize the hill start assist on. When hill start assist is used, if I don't use enough throttle it will do the in and out of gear dance. NOW, if I change it to normal or comfort everything is fine and it drives fine with no gear dance. If I pop it back into sport, it does fine still and no gear dance. This does NOT apply to when I'm using the lever to move the dsg into sport or d on its own, just for the drive mode itself! This leads me to think it might be related to throttle input and sensors more than actual gear engagement... Or just a bug in the software for drive modes...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
@tigeo i did that reset as well a good while back and the issue wasn't present for a while, but I think I finally found how to reproduce it every single time and "solve" it in the same drive...

When it's cold out, I take a short drive of 15 mins or so and the engine is warm, but I think dsg isn't fully hot yet (need to verify exact temp). I then have the car in sport mode. When I turn off the car then start it again it will drop into gear, clunk out, and re-engage again on every single stop that it doesn't utilize the hill start assist on. When hill start assist is used, if I don't use enough throttle it will do the in and out of gear dance. NOW, if I change it to normal or comfort everything is fine and it drives fine with no gear dance. If I pop it back into sport, it does fine still and no gear dance. This does NOT apply to when I'm using the lever to move the dsg into sport or d on its own, just for the drive mode itself! This leads me to think it might be related to throttle input and sensors more than actual gear engagement... Or just a bug in the software for drive modes...
NOICE! Great info!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Interesting as I don't have the modes on my car (base GSW)...only sport/drive with shift lever.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Thinking about this more - I noted somewhere in this thread above that it seems that once I have this issue on a drive, I have it. And when I don't...I don't. I think this gives some credence to your comments. I also noted that it seemed more tied to Sport mode (trans sport mode for me, I don't have drive modes in my GSW). So maybe it is a throttle issue. I also notice it most when I almost slightly let off then get back on it the brake quickly, like micromovement if you are distracted at a stop light, look up see the light has turned green and release the pedal in a panic but get right back on it b/c you didn't look around if that makes sense. I also note your hill hold description. I like your term "dance"..hahahah

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Thinking about this more - I noted somewhere in this thread above that it seems that once I have this issue on a drive, I have it. And when I don't...I don't. I think this gives some credence to your comments. I also noted that it seemed more tied to Sport mode (trans sport mode for me, I don't have drive modes in my GSW). So maybe it is a throttle issue. I also notice it most when I almost slightly let off then get back on it the brake quickly, like micromovement if you are distracted at a stop light, look up see the light has turned green and release the pedal in a panic but get right back on it b/c you didn't look around if that makes sense. I also note your hill hold description. I like your term "dance"..hahahah
I'll keep a note of it and keep trending. Maybe I can find another correlation to help pinpoint it further. It's definitely a lot less frequent after all the resets and setting back to stock. I'm curious how warmer weather will change things.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
A bit more on this as I try to get to the bottom of it....

I really think this has to do with the pedal/brake connection that tells the DSG when to engage the clutch. Here me out...

There seems to be a variation in how much brake pedal you need to release/move to get the clutch to engage. This varies from when I start it up/drop the parking brake/put in R or D to being full release and it sits there for a second before going to barely releasing pressure from the pedal and seeing the RPM kick up as it starts to engage. When it's the latter is when I get this issue and this makes sense - it's trying to engage the clutch when it thinks the brake is still engaged so it pops back out momentarily. I feel like the ultra-sensitive brake pedal is more often in sport than drive and I feel like I get this issue more in sport. Make sense?