GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jumping out of gear on take off

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Currently getting an intermittent issue with the DSG in my 2018 Sportwagen. Car is tuned with Unitronic software (ECU/TCU) and has the customary bolt-ons. From a standstill in D/S/M, occasionally when releasing the brake to pull away, it will momentarily hop out of gear before jumping back in gear. Since I have a Unitronic Stage 2 DSG tune, I get the gear indicator on the dash (D1 etc.). When I take it out of park and move it to D when this issue occurs, I will see D1 on the dash then a quick flash to D then back to D1. No other shifting drama or operational issues beyond the occasionally DSG weirdness. Car has 44K on it and I did the DSG service at 40K. I was having this v. rarely before that but now after it seems more frequent. I’ve done the basic settings using OBDEleven. No codes beyond an intermittent P173400 “starter release from the selector lever sensor system”.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
@tigeo You're usually the "go to" person for a lot of info, but have you tried reflashing the DSG to stock w/o getting into your bigger power and determining if the flash might have corrupted in some way? If that doesn't prove to be promising perhaps the shift boots of one of the gearing are creating a "drag" and not shifting over quickly enough? I hope it is the latter though.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
@tigeo You're usually the "go to" person for a lot of info, but have you tried reflashing the DSG to stock w/o getting into your bigger power and determining if the flash might have corrupted in some way? If that doesn't prove to be promising perhaps the shift boots of one of the gearing are creating a "drag" and not shifting over quickly enough? I hope it is the latter though.
I have thought about reflashing it to just to reset it all. Not sure on the shift boots - maybe? I was worried I didn't get the fill level right when I changed it and have considered doing another overfill with a liter of fluid and then resetting the level.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Reset all your DSG parameter with VCDS and do full adaptation.
I did the basic settings but I think I'll do all of the available resets etc.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
There is like 9-10. Do them all. Turn off he car, drive in each gear for a while, drive in 5 for a while and in 6th for a while. Do a hard stop. There as a bunch of little things like that.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Subbed. Having almost the same problem with my uni stage 2 2018 R.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Call Rachael at PMW and see if they’ve (Uni) communicated anything to the dealers. Definitely reflash

tigeo

Autocross Champion
For the reflash...why all of a sudden? Its had DSG software for 40k miles.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
For the reflash...why all of a sudden? Its had DSG software for 40k miles.
No idea.... software doesn’t just change. Wonder if it’s looking for a signal and something in the return signal is off

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Any other recent changes besides the DSG service? Did you drop the pan for the service or just change fluid? I can't speak for a tuned DSG, but maybe check the Trans temp sensor to make sure the harness isn't loose.

As for software - Maybe something ticked over somewhere and it bugged - Granted if that was the case I think you'd hear more cases of it by now given the age of the tune. Just spit balling, I do PC software troubleshooting not automotive ECU/TCU.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
No idea.... software doesn’t just change. Wonder if it’s looking for a signal and something in the return signal is off
Ok...reflashed because why not. Takes 5 min. Seems much smoother....we will see!