GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jumping out of gear on take off

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I'm going to try to get the transmission really hot and do the clutch pack reset again.
Be sure that the test is 100% done before attempting to put it in R and rolling into the street and blocking the road until the test is complete...I could imagine this being very embarrassing, lol.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Be sure that the test is 100% done before attempting to put it in R and rolling into the street and blocking the road until the test is complete...I could imagine this being very embarrassing, lol.
I know if you run the basic settings you need to restart the car to get it to go into gear after it completes.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
This is correct. You definitely have to restart the car or it won't go into gear.

So I went out and tried to get the transmission hot earlier. My goal was to get to at least 70C and I really wanted to be closer to 90C. It took 45 mins of driving, shifting the gears up and down constantly, in 51 degree weather in order to get it to 70C. I must have shifted at least a thousand times. I did the reset and the first clunk into the first gear was super noticeable and clunky. The car actually bumped forward so hard (with my foot on the brake still and handbrake on) that it squealed the tires. I don't remember that ever being so clunky before. I took a brief drive afterwards and things seem to be a bit smoother, but it needs more testing.

I really think the key was a combination of the starting vibration reduction and the hydraulic brake assistant. That was a huge difference. Since those went back to stock setting i haven't had a single hard/heavy clutch drop feeling where it feels like the car is lurching and bumping in/out of gear. The biggest power hesitation so far was barely a stutter compared to how it would jump before.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This is correct. You definitely have to restart the car or it won't go into gear.

So I went out and tried to get the transmission hot earlier. My goal was to get to at least 70C and I really wanted to be closer to 90C. It took 45 mins of driving, shifting the gears up and down constantly, in 51 degree weather in order to get it to 70C. I must have shifted at least a thousand times. I did the reset and the first clunk into the first gear was super noticeable and clunky. The car actually bumped forward so hard (with my foot on the brake still and handbrake on) that it squealed the tires. I don't remember that ever being so clunky before. I took a brief drive afterwards and things seem to be a bit smoother, but it needs more testing.

I really think the key was a combination of the starting vibration reduction and the hydraulic brake assistant. That was a huge difference. Since those went back to stock setting i haven't had a single hard/heavy clutch drop feeling where it feels like the car is lurching and bumping in/out of gear. The biggest power hesitation so far was barely a stutter compared to how it would jump before.
I too think the SVR is the key and actually what that adaptation is for. I don't think the basic settings have done a thing for mine - I ran them a few times after my DSG service. So far I've been letting my foot off the brake fast and haven't had an issue after setting it to max. Testing continues!

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok...max SVR out the window. Had the issue 3x yesterday...all on same drive.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I've only driven once since I did the reset the other day but it was tremendously smoother. It always is for 50 miles after so we'll see.

Did you get a chance to check codes right after it happened?

Is HBA on stock or altered setting for you?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've only driven once since I did the reset the other day but it was tremendously smoother. It always is for 50 miles after so we'll see.

Did you get a chance to check codes right after it happened?

Is HBA on stock or altered setting for you?
No codes. HBA is normal currently.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Was it all when trans cold or was it after it warmed up too?

Also, out of curiosity, what were your temps for the tranny before you did the dsg reset and after? I need to play with it more, but I know the exact temp plays a big role in how it adapts. I'm curious if when adapting at any temp between 30 and 100 if it assumes that's your operating temp? The theory being if I adapt at 90C that at lower temps it may try to give more room between clutch slips, assuming the fluid is under lower pressure but higher density inside the case.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Was it all when trans cold or was it after it warmed up too?

Also, out of curiosity, what were your temps for the tranny before you did the dsg reset and after? I need to play with it more, but I know the exact temp plays a big role in how it adapts. I'm curious if when adapting at any temp between 30 and 100 if it assumes that's your operating temp? The theory being if I adapt at 90C that at lower temps it may try to give more room between clutch slips, assuming the fluid is under lower pressure but higher density inside the case.
My temps were operating - it was after driving an hour. My only good observation with this issue is that if I am driving and have it, I keep having it over that driving event. So when I don't have it, I don't have it if that makes sense. When I did the DSG basic settings, honestly I don't know what temp it was - I just got it above 30. I like your thinking on this.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Also of note, I feel like I only get this issue when I have a micro-second hesitation in letting off the brake b/c I'm not on my A game if that makes sense.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
My temps were operating - it was after driving an hour. My only good observation with this issue is that if I am driving and have it, I keep having it over that driving event. So when I don't have it, I don't have it if that makes sense. When I did the DSG basic settings, honestly I don't know what temp it was - I just got it above 30. I like your thinking on this.
I'll note that it took forever to get my DSG up to temp before I did the basic setting. Just something to think about.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'll note that it took forever to get my DSG up to temp before I did the basic setting. Just something to think about.
My take at this point is that this is simply the DSG clutches etc. wearing from launching my car hundreds of times and generally driving the snot out of it. I do go to the settings like it has the wrong calibration which rears it's head sometimes when you take off. There is a basic setting called "start double clutch fast adaptation" and "reset clutch characterization curve" that I can't get to work using OBDEleven but my question really is - does the "basic setting of transmission" include all of the other options under basic settings?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
but my question really is - does the "basic setting of transmission" include all of the other options under basic settings?
I don’t think so because I’ve seen Ed on the EQT page recommend the other reset options after the basic setting to further troubleshoot.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don’t think so because I’ve seen Ed on the EQT page recommend the other reset options after the basic setting to further troubleshoot.
VCDS would be better for this stuff - I love OBDEleven but it's more limited on some of this/has issues.