GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jumping out of gear on take off

bryanviper

I have the same issue and I'll post below my topic and it explains my issue. Mind you I have not had the issue for probably around a month now. before it could happen a few times a week then other times not for a while.

2016 Golf R
Any owners with the GTI or Golf R with DSG noticing the transmission engaging in a rough manner? When I take my foot off the gas from being parked or engage reverse, engine sometimes wants to stall as the transmission engages the gear very roughly and the whole car shakes.

This has been happening randomly for the past 2 ish years but its so random there is no way I could show this to the dealer as it would likely not happen. Have about 74,000km on it and have done filter & oil twice on the DSG in its life, recently was this spring. Also have done the DSG relearn procedure twice which did not help.
Any ideas? Powertrain warranty will be done next year & I dont want this thing to fail on me after that.
Update: just found this info.... Put *** on the important part

Mechatronic Unit Failure
Although it's not a widespread issue, the most serious and typically most expensive problem that can arise on a DSG transmission is a failure of the Mechatronic unit itself. Failures can result in a number of issues, ranging from hard or jerky shifting, ***failure to shift or engage from a stop,*** or complete and total transmission malfunction.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have the same issue and I'll post below my topic and it explains my issue. Mind you I have not had the issue for probably around a month now. before it could happen a few times a week then other times not for a while.

2016 Golf R
Any owners with the GTI or Golf R with DSG noticing the transmission engaging in a rough manner? When I take my foot off the gas from being parked or engage reverse, engine sometimes wants to stall as the transmission engages the gear very roughly and the whole car shakes.

This has been happening randomly for the past 2 ish years but its so random there is no way I could show this to the dealer as it would likely not happen. Have about 74,000km on it and have done filter & oil twice on the DSG in its life, recently was this spring. Also have done the DSG relearn procedure twice which did not help.
Any ideas? Powertrain warranty will be done next year & I dont want this thing to fail on me after that.
Update: just found this info.... Put *** on the important part

Mechatronic Unit Failure
Although it's not a widespread issue, the most serious and typically most expensive problem that can arise on a DSG transmission is a failure of the Mechatronic unit itself. Failures can result in a number of issues, ranging from hard or jerky shifting, ***failure to shift or engage from a stop,*** or complete and total transmission malfunction.

Maybe the idle is too low.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Interesting observation. When I have this issue, I tend to have it over the whole start/stop cycle. When I don't I don't. So if I go out start my car and run some errands and get this issue, I'll have it frequently over that drive. But the next time I start it up and drive it I may not. Strange.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I cant recall having heard of a mechatronic unit failure on the DQ250...

The mechatronics failure was a frankly common occurrence on the DL501 DSG in the B8/8.5 S4/S5 so much so that audi created a special service kit specifically for mechatronics repair. In the early days it was multiple thousands to repair a failed mechatronics unit some dealers opting to replace the entire transmission instead! eventually it was just a few hundred bucks for the kit plus some labor.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I cant recall having heard of a mechatronic unit failure on the DQ250...

The mechatronics failure was a frankly common occurrence on the DL501 DSG in the B8/8.5 S4/S5 so much so that audi created a special service kit specifically for mechatronics repair. In the early days it was multiple thousands to repair a failed mechatronics unit some dealers opting to replace the entire transmission instead! eventually it was just a few hundred bucks for the kit plus some labor.
Otherwise it's 100%, I'm chalking it up to DSG weirdness and moving on.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Interesting observation. When I have this issue, I tend to have it over the whole start/stop cycle. When I don't I don't. So if I go out start my car and run some errands and get this issue, I'll have it frequently over that drive. But the next time I start it up and drive it I may not. Strange.

I noticed I can replicate the issue more easily if I'm starting on an incline. Start/Stop does not change the DSG behaviour in my situation.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
My new hypothesis - b/c it seems to do it consistently/not do it consistently over a single drive, I wonder if this is a "learned" deal w/r to clutch adaptations per drive session?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update. Have done rear pads and front rotors so brake work (not break work..hahahahaha) and haven't experienced this issue now in quite a while, will continue to monitor. I keep going back to brakes....like something to do with how they release and the switch that tells the DSG to engage the clutches.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Definitely not related to the brakes. I was backing out of my driveway just now and as soon as I put it into drive, the car moved a few inches, popped out of gear, jerked, and then continued moving forward as normal.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Do you have a dogbone bushing in? That sounds like clutch drop in the dsg without something soft and bushingy to cushion it. Try releasing the brake more slowly so it doesn't drop so fast; how does it feel then?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Do you have a dogbone bushing in? That sounds like clutch drop in the dsg without something soft and bushingy to cushion it. Try releasing the brake more slowly so it doesn't drop so fast; how does it feel then?
Yes, I have the APR lower insert. It is not the clutch drop, it is jumping back out of gear momentarily (you can see it in the display) before re-engaging.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Mine feels like what you're describing but I haven't looked at the dash to see it change back and forth on the gear display. I'll have to try it again and look. Mine only occurs when warm, when the steering wheel is straight, and when I release the brake quickly. In sport mode it's far more prevalent.

I also noticed it coincides with the dogbone bushing breaking in. When I had the lower insert it was fine at first then got really rough. I added the upper insert and it got crazy rough and would rattle on takeoff like no other. I went to the revo bushing and everything was buttery smooth until it broke in and now I experience a periodic stutter like the clutch was released too quickly. I've worked at reducing vibrations on this car for a bit and my next attempts are:

Loosening the pendulum mount bolt, getting the car on ramps, and retightening the bolt to spec with the engine running

Turning back on the starting vibration reduction

Resetting all the brake adaptations and the changes I made previously. I noticed previously one of the brake changes everyone recommends (don't recall which one exactly, but I can try to hunt it down later) resulted in me needing to press the brake very far and very hard while stopped to get the dsg to disengage clutch.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Nope. My car has no mods aside from what is listed. It's definitely more producible in the cold and most easy to trigger when starting on an incline. Happened twice last night. I'm wondering if a DSG tune would fix this but if it's a warranty item, then bye bye warranty. Should also note what I'm doing is I'm going from reverse, to neutral for a second, and then D so my car is fully stopped when I engage D.

Resetting the DSG adaption doesn't help.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Nope. My car has no mods aside from what is listed. It's definitely more producible in the cold and most easy to trigger when starting on an incline. Happened twice last night. I'm wondering if a DSG tune would fix this but if it's a warranty item, then bye bye warranty. Should also note what I'm doing is I'm going from reverse, to neutral for a second, and then D so my car is fully stopped when I engage D.

Resetting the DSG adaption doesn't help.
Are you on the brake when you go from n to d?

If you're having issues, a tune is the last thing you want if you have a warranty.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Again - when this was happening, it was when I came to a stop then released the brake/engaging the clutch to take off. I have a DSG tune and you can see the gear indicator on the dash so you would be in D1 then momentarily it would hiccup and flash to D before going back to D1 and taking off. Like it's starting to engage and the DSG says "wayment...ok good now!".