GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jumping out of gear on take off

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I still need to transfer the tune to my name and get the dongle. The weird thing is you are a 6 speed dsg right? Mine is the 7 speed and having the same type problem. One difference is mine has only happened in sport mode. Twice on launches and once regular driving. Scared the crap out of me when wot and suddenly in neutral at 7k rev limit.....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I still need to transfer the tune to my name and get the dongle. The weird thing is you are a 6 speed dsg right? Mine is the 7 speed and having the same type problem. One difference is mine has only happened in sport mode. Twice on launches and once regular driving. Scared the crap out of me when wot and suddenly in neutral at 7k rev limit.....
My issue is only when taking off.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Mine is the 1 to 2 shift.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
To me, logically, this has to be something to do with the
Any other recent changes besides the DSG service? Did you drop the pan for the service or just change fluid? I can't speak for a tuned DSG, but maybe check the Trans temp sensor to make sure the harness isn't loose.

As for software - Maybe something ticked over somewhere and it bugged - Granted if that was the case I think you'd hear more cases of it by now given the age of the tune. Just spit balling, I do PC software troubleshooting not automotive ECU/TCU.
Just the typical DSG service - filter change and drain/fill using bottom-fill/overfill/drain method.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Mine is the DQ250 6-speed. Mine will happen in all 3 modes and only as I stated in OP - just letting off brake to go to gas from a stop...it's v. brief but does kick out of gear sometimes. Yours seems like a different issue.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Drove to work today 47 miles, some start/stops, all v. smooth. Will continue to monitor/update. There were some other strange DSG behaviors that started recently so maybe a good ole' fashioned reflash is what it needed?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
No change after a week or so of re-flashing, adpating, whatever. It seems to be most prevalent in sport mode. Also seems to be 100% related to how quickly I release the brake. Other than that, seems to be working normally.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Have you tried adding more fluid to the transmission? I've seen this occur with low fluid on friend's cars I've worked on.

Also, flash back to stock, does it occur?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Have you tried adding more fluid to the transmission? I've seen this occur with low fluid on friend's cars I've worked on.

Also, flash back to stock, does it occur?
I was thinking the same - just get a liter of fluid and overfill/drain at temp again to set the level - was the issue with your friend's cars exactly the same as I have described? Letting off brake to take off and it momentarily comes out of gear before engaging? I have not flashed back to stock but at some point can or even just down to the stage 1 DSG tune first.

Edit. Ordered a liter of fluid, easy enough to make sure the level is correct.

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I was thinking the same - just get a liter of fluid and overfill/drain at temp again to set the level - was the issue with your friend's cars exactly the same as I have described? Letting off brake to take off and it momentarily comes out of gear before engaging? I have not flashed back to stock but at some point can or even just down to the stage 1 DSG tune first.
I'd go straight back to stock and see how it does. You're not talking at wot shifts. Ruling out anything aftermarket should always happen first imo.

I've worked on 2 dsg and 2 tq converter types. They all exhibited different symptoms, but hard shifts, laggy shifts, snappy shifts (like it's trying to shift and can't then suddenly shifts and feels like it got the rpm point wrong), grinding noises, and high rpm before shifting were common to at least two of them. To me it sounds like you're dealing with lag in between clutch actuation, which could be due to the pump losing some pressure from low fluid or trapped air bubble.

Just make sure to get your transmission fluid as hot as possible before doing the drain. The temp does drop a lot, so if you were on the edge of it, it may not be an accurate fill. Just drive around shifting up and down at higher rpm. More rpm=more force=more friction=more heat.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'd go straight back to stock and see how it does. You're not talking at wot shifts. Ruling out anything aftermarket should always happen first imo.

I've worked on 2 dsg and 2 tq converter types. They all exhibited different symptoms, but hard shifts, laggy shifts, snappy shifts (like it's trying to shift and can't then suddenly shifts and feels like it got the rpm point wrong), grinding noises, and high rpm before shifting were common to at least two of them. To me it sounds like you're dealing with lag in between clutch actuation, which could be due to the pump losing some pressure from low fluid or trapped air bubble.

Just make sure to get your transmission fluid as hot as possible before doing the drain. The temp does drop a lot, so if you were on the edge of it, it may not be an accurate fill. Just drive around shifting up and down at higher rpm. More rpm=more force=more friction=more heat.
Good info and thank you for your comments. The issue is simply that when I let off the brake quickly it begins to engage then for a split second stops engaging ("hops out of gear" in my description - you see the indicator on the dash go from "S1" to just "S" for a split second then S1 as I take off) then engages - almost like it senses something it doesn't like. All other shifts, performance, and launch control work perfectly/normal. I'll report back....need to do regular oil change/tire rotation next week so will take the time to get it up on ramps/blocks to do the DSG. I just follow the temp range for setting the level per the available DIYs out there.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Also, the other thought just using logic - the software can't really change (although I can certainly flash to stock easily) to cause this. This started to be an issue after I did my DSG service so I think the fluid idea is the best place to start.