GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jumping out of gear on take off

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
Can confirm that you can't put my car in second manually while stopped.

i tried tonight out of curiosity, eqt dsg tune. couldnt shift outta first at a stop via paddles nor shift it manually ( +/- )

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I tried to do it today and couldn't. Pretty sure I couldn't from factory either... I recall trying, but that was long ago.
Just seems like an odd factory setting to me - even tuned it will stay in 2 on v. slow rolling stops in D for smooth take offs like many modern autos but from a dead stop that is surprising! I've never seen any standard auto allow take off in second but get why it could be valuable in the snow. I wonder if my Atlas will in snow mode?

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Just seems like an odd factory setting to me - even tuned it will stay in 2 on v. slow rolling stops in D for smooth take offs like many modern autos but from a dead stop that is surprising!
Yeah it will go down to very slow speeds in 2nd, even to the point it's bucking around and the engine is on the brink of stall.

I've never had a need to start a car in second though, even on snow and ice. I get the logic of keeping gearing higher to reduce acceleration, but I've always just used less throttle. The only time I've used anything other than 1st to start in a manual car is when giving the "no throttle challenge" a go!

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Double checked today, Looks like I was incorrect about just grabbing the paddle. I do have to put it in manual mode, but I can start from a stop in second. Though i'm the 09G AQ250 Slush box 6 spd, and not DSG. I recall reading it was for starting in snow or low traction events from a stop, but that could have been the wifes Kia manual I'm recalling. 🤷‍♂️ I'll dig through mine later to see if that's where I read it.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Double checked today, Looks like I was incorrect about just grabbing the paddle. I do have to put it in manual mode, but I can start from a stop in second. Though i'm the 09G AQ250 Slush box 6 spd, and not DSG. I recall reading it was for starting in snow or low traction events from a stop, but that could have been the wifes Kia manual I'm recalling. 🤷‍♂️ I'll dig through mine later to see if that's where I read it.
That explains it

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
@tigeo Not sure if you got this solved or not, but you don't live far from me, I'm in Newport News/Williamsburg area. In the middle of unpacking at a new house now, but sometime in the next couple months should be fine.

If you want to try and put the factory ODIS scan tool on it or an Autel (which is frankly better for logging because better display and less of a pain in the ass to use), let me know. Looking at things like brake pressure versus brake pedal position and/or brake light status might be useful in diagnosis to rule out if it is something holding hydraulic pressure or not (which if so, would make sense why the transmission does not engage a gear or both clutches stay released until the brake is fully let go as far as the ABS is concerned).

If you are throwing codes consistently, we can run the guided fault finding that the factory scan tool recommends. Otherwise just make sure there's nothing goofy that it is detecting that sometimes aftermarket scan tools do not get. I see this pretty commonly.

*Not a VW technician, I do mobile ADAS calibrations and happen to have ODIS online for programming new modules after radars have been replaced, etc. for CP purposes mainly.

Waltari

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Just out of curiosity for you all e experiencing this that do track days and suspect brake bias as a possible culprit, how do your rotors look? I'm running slotted rotors with PP calipers front/rear, stainless lines RBF600, and EBC yellowstuff. I admitted get the brakes pretty heated up during my track days at PIR and noticed my rotors are pretty glazed at present. I'm having the exact same stumbling issue you guys have described. Intermittent, more likely on inclines but still happens occassionally on flat surfaces.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just an update here - recently had some things done on my car that *MAY* be helping this namely 034 full dog bone compliment - pucks, upper/lower inserts, arm (that thing ain't moving!). This goes with my 034 engine/trans mounts. The rest was mainly chassis bits that shouldn't change the character of the car when you release the brake/clutches engage. The dogbone bits (all of it) has made take offs a touch rougher but it's dead solid, there is no movement in the drivetrain felt at all. I haven't had this issue (the momentary jump out of gear bit) in a while. Watch, now that I type that, it will happen today..hahaha

skboarder22a

Car(s)
18 Audi S3
Just read all 15 pages of this thread. Thanks for all the effort you guys put into this. I am glad I am not alone with this issue.

This gear dance has happened to me multiple times over the last 2 years since purchasing my 18 S3. This occurs almost every time after I fuel up (at the same gas station) and am about to pull out from the pumps. It's on a level surface, car is up to temp (oil/dsg) , and car is in either D or S with a mix of manual mode. I had reset my basic settings of transmission multiple times over the years before ever being tuned and after being tuned, it still occurs. I have not performed the other dsg resetS as told by EQT'S guide. I was hoping since getting a dsg tune that it would have taken it away but that does not seem to be the case.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Just read all 15 pages of this thread. Thanks for all the effort you guys put into this. I am glad I am not alone with this issue.

This gear dance has happened to me multiple times over the last 2 years since purchasing my 18 S3. This occurs almost every time after I fuel up (at the same gas station) and am about to pull out from the pumps. It's on a level surface, car is up to temp (oil/dsg) , and car is in either D or S with a mix of manual mode. I had reset my basic settings of transmission multiple times over the years before ever being tuned and after being tuned, it still occurs. I have not performed the other dsg resetS as told by EQT'S guide. I was hoping since getting a dsg tune that it would have taken it away but that does not seem to be the case.

dors it happen immediately after Releasing brake (feathering into 1st gear) or on the 2>3 shift on the first pull after shifting back from P?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
dors it happen immediately after Releasing brake (feathering into 1st gear) or on the 2>3 shift on the first pull after shifting back from P?
The issue being discussed in this thread is brake release to first only....it will *occasionally* come out of gear and go back in causing a strange hesitation. It's described in post 1.

Last edited:

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I was having the 2-3 problem. Has potentially been fixed by bfi motor mounts.

skboarder22a

Car(s)
18 Audi S3
Releasing the brake after a stop feathering into first gear. Just happened again today when leaving a stop sign approximately 20 seconds and leaving my house. Car was warmed up already as I arrived at my house 10 mins before to be told to get food.