GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jumping out of gear on take off

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Makes sense.

re: Parking brake - I was just thinking it seems to always be worse on my first start of the car for the day, which would most likely have to do with temperature, although it is intermittent at times. When you all mentioned the brakes and sensors. It got me thinking about the parking brake and how the car may measure brakes on vs. off.

For me i generally start my car, then review the parking brake - if the car measures brake pressure and zeroes/set control when the key is turned to account for pad wear (no idea if that's how it works), might i be using more brake pressure/depth of brake pedal at start, than a typical brake and takeoff - therefor confusing ecu/tcu of when to switch to 'go'.

Flipside of that, by leaving brake pads touching rotors with the parking brake, it is creating dry/sticky spots on the rotor that while not normally noticeable by a driver, it's causing the car some confusion....

i don't know - random thoughts with too much coffee.
This is great stuff and things I hadn't thought of. I just can't get a defined set of parameters that seem to always give me the issue.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I actually found a way to reproduce the problem. We got a huge snowstorm in Toronto and I got a bit stuck in the snow. Naturally, the DSG wants to engage 1st and have the clutch slip so the vehicle can creep but because of the snow, the vehicle couldn't creep, thus the DSG was jerking around as it bounced between slipping, fully engaged, and disengaged. Again, I've given up on trying to solve the issue. On my final year of "warranty" even though I'm tuned so I'll just leave it at that.
Was the display showing it going from "D1" to "D" and back as it flipped out?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I actually found a way to reproduce the problem. We got a huge snowstorm in Toronto and I got a bit stuck in the snow. Naturally, the DSG wants to engage 1st and have the clutch slip so the vehicle can creep but because of the snow, the vehicle couldn't creep, thus the DSG was jerking around as it bounced between slipping, fully engaged, and disengaged. Again, I've given up on trying to solve the issue. On my final year of "warranty" even though I'm tuned so I'll just leave it at that.
Did you know that you can take off from a standstill in 2nd gear in the DSG? Works in mine.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Did you know that you can take off from a standstill in 2nd gear in the DSG? Works in mine.
So you can set it to second in manual mode when you aren't moving? Mine won't allow that.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yes. Can't remember if I can do the same in Sport mode. Discovered by accident.
I'll have to mess with it - I have the 6-spd DSG and a Uni tune on it.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You should be able to select 2nd from a stand still with a DSG. I Can do it with the 6spd Slush box. I just grab the paddle, even in drive/sport without throwing it into manual mode.

Edit: Unless the Uni tune changed something. I believe all VWs can select 2nd from a stop for snow traction. Mine states it in the manual. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You should be able to select 2nd from a stand still with a DSG. I Can do it with the 6spd Slush box. I just grab the paddle, even in drive/sport without throwing it into manual mode.

Edit: Unless the Uni tune changed something. I believe all VWs can select 2nd from a stop for snow traction. Mine states it in the manual. 🤷‍♂️
I'll mess with it tomorrow.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Was the display showing it going from "D1" to "D" and back as it flipped out?
I didn't look unfortunately. But usually does in any other situation.
Really? I never tried that. I think DSG tune removes that possibility. Ever since I flashed DSG tune, I never started from a complete stop in 2nd gear, whether automatically or manually.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I didn't look unfortunately. But usually does in any other situation.

Really? I never tried that. I think DSG tune removes that possibility. Ever since I flashed DSG tune, I never started from a complete stop in 2nd gear, whether automatically or manually.
My EQT DSG tune still allows it. It's for slippery conditions like snow. You manually put it in second gear and then take off very slow. It's not for normal driving situations.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Can confirm that you can't put my car in second manually while stopped.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Is a second gear start really needed with 4Motion?