GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG falls on its face shifting into 3rd

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So last year I had a DTE Pedalbox fitted to my 2015 DSG GTI. Here and there, not too consistently, the transmission would fall flat on its face after shifting into 3rd the very first time I would accelerate after taking it out of P after turning it on. So, again, this would *ONLY* happen the very first time accelerating when the car is on, and it exclusively happened on the 2-3 shift. Happened enough that it scared me and I got rid of the pedalbox.

Fast forward a couple months, and I needed a new DSG due to an entirely unrelated reason (middle bolt on the Roc Euro stabilizer/pendulum bar backed out, sheered the housing).

So, I have a "new" (to me, admittedly it was purchased secondhand from LKQ with 18K miles on it) DSG that has, to my knowledge, never had a Pedalbox or the like used in conjunction with it. I've had it installed since late July, and a few days ago I experienced the same issue as above. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen. It's very jarring when it happens, because I'm accelerating, and the moment it shifts to 3rd, it just "stutters," and seeems to disengage the moment it engages. Very uncomfortable, and it makes an audible clack. 1-2 seconds later it reengages and you're on your merry way.

I also want to take this time to bring up that it sometimes forgets what the hell its doing when manually downshifting from 3-2 in M. I know all about how the DSG works and how to communicate to it so that it knows what my next gear switch will be, so I know that it's not driver error. It only happens while I'm on the brakes, and actively downshifting through the gears from a higher speed (30mph+). I'll go from 6-5-4-3 just fine, all downshifts will work splendidly. Then as I'm approaching ~20mph and downshift to 2 for a low-speed turn, it RPMs just fall to ~1k, and don't go back up until I get on the throttle and THEN the downshift completes. It's also way more common than the above issue. Above issue has happened once and only once in the 8K miles I've put on the new trans, while this issue (3-2 awkwardness, hesitation) happens once every week or so.

Sorry if this is TMI.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Why not just remove the PedalBox? I understand that the throttle response is slow on the GTI's with DSG (I had an Autobahn MK7 until earlier this summer) but it's hardly worth worrying about error that makes your car fall on its face as you stated.

One of the reasons why I sold the car.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Why not just remove the PedalBox? I understand that the throttle response is slow on the GTI's with DSG (I had an Autobahn MK7 until earlier this summer) but it's hardly worth worrying about error that makes your car fall on its face as you stated.

One of the reasons why I sold the car.

You didn't read the whole post. I did get rid of it. The problem never returned, but now I have a new DSG and the issue is back but I never put a pedalbox on this.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
The last issue... Are you braking hard? That happens when I brake hard going below ~18mph, and it just seems like it disengages, expecting a complete stop. I hate it when it happens because it's usually at a left turn on yield situation, and the DSG is like "OH TIME TO GO? OK!" *sudden boost*

Have you tried a DSG reset to see if that helps with anything?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The last issue... Are you braking hard? That happens when I brake hard going below ~18mph, and it just seems like it disengages, expecting a complete stop. I hate it when it happens because it's usually at a left turn on yield situation, and the DSG is like "OH TIME TO GO? OK!" *sudden boost*

Have you tried a DSG reset to see if that helps with anything?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No, I haven't. Hadn't thought about it. I have VCDS, I'm gonna do this now. Thanks!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
You didn't read the whole post. I did get rid of it. The problem never returned, but now I have a new DSG and the issue is back but I never put a pedalbox on this.

Oh, I see. Hummm... sounds like a map issue in this case. Have you considered flashing the DSG with those aftermarket programs? Might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
^this

The second issue you mentioned will be rectified. At least for me it was when I flashed Uni Stage 1 ECU and TCU.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
What is the pedalbox thing you're talking about? Oh some DSG tuner thing well what do you expect, I guess.

Nah, a PedalBox is a thingy that goes in between the accelerator pedal and the ECU. AFAIK, it intercepts the drive-by-wire signals (these things are all electronic, no physical connection) and modifies them to supposedly give you more linear throttle response. Nothing to do with the transmission per se.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Oh one of THOSE thingies... I personally can't really tell the difference between the stock GTI's normal and sport throttle profiles. I am kinda curious what those would feel like but don't trust the concept.

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
Oh one of THOSE thingies... I personally can't really tell the difference between the stock GTI's normal and sport throttle profiles. I am kinda curious what those would feel like but don't trust the concept.

When I test drove my GTI the salesman had it in Sport mode and I thought the transmission was broken. Had never drove an "automatic" like it before. There is a big difference between D and S.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
When I test drove my GTI the salesman had it in Sport mode and I thought the transmission was broken. Had never drove an "automatic" like it before. There is a big difference between D and S.

He said throttle profiles. transmission S and D are not the driver profiles. under Normal and Sport there are ~supposedly~ different throttle profiles, however I do not believe it. I've owned 2 MK7 GTIs and put over 70K miles between the two of them and cannot tell the difference, one manual and one DSG. I just put my car in Individual then set steering to sport and engine to normal to keep soundaktor down

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Nah, a PedalBox is a thingy that goes in between the accelerator pedal and the ECU. AFAIK, it intercepts the drive-by-wire signals (these things are all electronic, no physical connection) and modifies them to supposedly give you more linear throttle response. Nothing to do with the transmission per se.

I wouldn't say "more linear" throttle response lol. It just inverts the shape of the ramp.

OEM ramp looks like an exponential growth model, whereas pedalbox is borderline exponential decay.

it also pre-amps the throttle signal, which actually does a good job of decreasing any sort of drive-by-wire lag.