GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG doing funny things lately

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The DSG started acting weird lately. When I let go of the brake from a stop, it seems to hesitate (normally starts to creep slowly), then bang into gear sometimes (usually once a month, today it did it every 4th or 5th full stop!).
I was thinking of doing a battery reset, or maybe even use the OBD11 to do the DSG parameter reset. What do you guys think?
If I use the OBD11, does it matter if this procedure is done with a hot or cold engine?
This shouldn't be related any way to the engine mods, right? I have a JB4, intercooler, and intake pipe and elbow.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
No idea. But I’m in to learn!

I wonder if it’s the cold weather. My dsg on my gti was a bit off every few stops too.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
My DSG is noticeably more finicky in the winter months in first and second gear at low speed... It doesn't bang in to gear, but it's definitely more noisy and not as smooth until it's warmed up a bit. The DSG needs to be up to temp for the reset but it has a wide operating temp range. When I did the reset after I changed TCU tunes from Uni to EQT the gearbox oil showed about 120F. Prepare for a ton of clanging and bangin' and keep your foot on the brake the whole time.

A proper DSG tune might be in order since you've increased output with the JB4.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks guys. Going to do the adaptation in a little while. I'll put a few miles on it and report back.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
One more question. I did a "Basic Setting Of Transmission" using the OBD11.
However, now I see another App (I think it's new) that says "Calibration of Synchro Points". Is that something I should also do?
What does that do?
Going for test drive now to test the "Basic Settings" reset, I'll report back.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
One more question. I did a "Basic Setting Of Transmission" using the OBD11.
However, now I see another App (I think it's new) that says "Calibration of Synchro Points". Is that something I should also do?
What does that do?
Going for test drive now to test the "Basic Settings" reset, I'll report back.
No, I would only do the basic setting for now. Drive it for a few days and see if it improves.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just got back from the test drive, and it is 100% perfect now.
Why does it lose it's settings? I find that strange

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Don't worry, it'll come back soon :).

There's another thread for this running around. I've been tracking and logging behavior and for me so far it's reproducible a week after a reset. After everything is warm on restart, it will engage the clutch and then quickly disengage-re-engage. If I change the driving mode, it goes back to engaging fine, regardless of the start and end driving mode, but it never happens in comfort.

It feels somewhat software related, but it also happens on stock tune. Fwiw, I have a stage 2 unitronic tune, have tracked the car regularly, have a Puck type dogbone bushing, have changed all fluids and done multiple resets, and the car performs perfectly fine otherwise. The starting vibration reduction and hill start assist settings set back to normal helped smooth it out a lot. This also only happens when I dump the brake, and it's possible it might be related to my ridiculously grabby rear brakes, but that doesn't explain why it seems to go away with driving mode changes.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Don't worry, it'll come back soon :).

There's another thread for this running around. I've been tracking and logging behavior and for me so far it's reproducible a week after a reset. After everything is warm on restart, it will engage the clutch and then quickly disengage-re-engage. If I change the driving mode, it goes back to engaging fine, regardless of the start and end driving mode, but it never happens in comfort.

It feels somewhat software related, but it also happens on stock tune. Fwiw, I have a stage 2 unitronic tune, have tracked the car regularly, have a Puck type dogbone bushing, have changed all fluids and done multiple resets, and the car performs perfectly fine otherwise. The starting vibration reduction and hill start assist settings set back to normal helped smooth it out a lot. This also only happens when I dump the brake, and it's possible it might be related to my ridiculously grabby rear brakes, but that doesn't explain why it seems to go away with driving mode changes.
Do you happen to have a link to the thread?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
No problem!

Please feel free to add anything you've been experiencing specifically and if you're actively troubleshooting anything. Any info helps understand it better.

Also, if you hold the accelerator down to the floor until the button activates, go into acc (push button with no foot on brake), wait 20 seconds, and then start the car normally without accelerator depressed, it will reset learning adaptations and be smooth again for 50-100 miles. Just a simple workaround if you don't have obd11 handy.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
No problem!

Please feel free to add anything you've been experiencing specifically and if you're actively troubleshooting anything. Any info helps understand it better.

Also, if you hold the accelerator down to the floor until the button activates, go into acc (push button with no foot on brake), wait 20 seconds, and then start the car normally without accelerator depressed, it will reset learning adaptations and be smooth again for 50-100 miles. Just a simple workaround if you don't have obd11 handy.
Good to know about that accelerator trick. I added my history, and solutions along the way to the other thread. Unfortunately, I don't have much info, but if it starts happening more frequently, I will also be actively involved in troubleshooting. So far, it's perfect again, but I only put on about 30 miles since the reset, LOL

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Posted in the other thread linked here...

Look into the DSG Hill Stop/Assist settings, I'll bet money that your DSG hesitations/hiccups from a stand-still are related to this feature/functionality.