GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dropped part of a zip tie in my gearbox changing shiftknobs

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks! I’ll definitely look into it

I'm thinking of putting a thread on how to remove the centre console...but there are existing bits of info & videos out there...

Also that buy I linked to is just an example..so do your research before buying....

Also if you feel up to it you can also fit the TPMS & ESC switch's whilst the centre console is out..I did guides for this...check my signature...

17Blk.Mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
I'm thinking of putting a thread on how to remove the centre console...but there are existing bits of info & videos out there...

Also that buy I linked to is just an example..so do your research before buying....

Also if you feel up to it you can also fit the TPMS & ESC switch's whilst the centre console is out..I did guides for this...check my signature...
You’re the man golf dave

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
So yes if you are going to take apart the center console I would do what Dave said also. But personally if it was me, this piece of zip tie is going to do nothing in there. I would forget about it and move on. Not worth the headache and time to get it out.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
You’re the man golf dave
Bruh... your account password was in your account profile's "Location" field...

This is the second person who has done this, what the actual fuck.

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
Hey OP, sorry to hear about your zip tie bit. Like everyone else said, the trans in this car is not located directly underneath the shifter. That piece of zip tie will not cause any harm. In any case, if you are bent on removing the entire center console to find it, Bryce Jordan has a really good video documenting the process on YouTube for his Super Pin install.

I'd also recommend that if are going through the trouble to rip out the center console, do the Super Pin modification while you're in there. The OEM plastic one is undersized and creates slop. The Super Pin really tightened up the shifter feel for me. There's barely any play left in the knob and throws are very precise now. Hope that helps!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
How do you remove the shifter surround trim? That was the only part without specific instructions.

It's just snapped in, so I just pulled up. There's no hardware. I also have a poverty spec Golf so I have no buttons on the surround but unplugging those would also be an extra step I suppose.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
It's just snapped in, so I just pulled up. There's no hardware. I also have a poverty spec Golf so I have no buttons on the surround but unplugging those would also be an extra step I suppose.
Thanks. I'm not even planning on doing that job. Your write-up was excellent, but that missing info triggered my OCD.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Thanks. I'm not even planning on doing that job. Your write-up was excellent, but that missing info triggered my OCD.

Thanks!

I've still not gotten around to writing my "how to guide" for this....too many nightmares I think!!...:LOL::oops:

Do you mind if I just posted it here? I didn't want to step on your toes with all the great DIYs you do so I posted it in a very specific sub-forum there.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks!

Do you mind if I just posted it here? I didn't want to step on your toes with all the great DIYs you do so I posted it in a very specific sub-forum there.

Post it here...I'll put my big post up, later & may link to yours also, with credits due.....I'm still re-writing many of my older ones, & am battling a huge draft on the EA211 1.4lt engines & tuning them...AARRGGGHHHHHHH.....!!!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
i'd rather eat my water bottle than take apart the center console again just to search for a ziptie