GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dropped part of a zip tie in my gearbox changing shiftknobs

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ohh yes. I was clipping the zip tie and it fell in.

So you were inside the car in the cabin & removed the gearstick knob & gaiter. You then fitted a new gearshift knob & gaiter & was zip tying the gaiter under the gear knob & cut the zip tie & plastic fell down.???

It won't do any harm...

This is what the gear shift shaft looks like with out the knob & without the gaiter...is this what you mean?? (ignore the bits of metal that I am holding as this is from a modification that I did to my car & happens to be the only picture I have of this area)...

DSCF0530-reduced-for-web.jpg

17Blk.Mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
So you were inside the car in the cabin & removed the gearstick knob & gaiter. You then fitted a new gearshift knob & gaiter & was zip tying the gaiter under the gear knob & cut the zip tie & plastic fell down.???

It won't do any harm...

This is what the gear shift shaft looks like with out the knob & without the gaiter...is this what you mean?? (ignore the bits of metal that I am holding as this is from a modification that I did to my car & happens to be the only picture I have of this area)...

View attachment 204644
Yes so the smallest inch of the zip tie fell to the left side of the box.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yes so the smallest inch of the zip tie fell to the left side of the box.
Yeah it just fell in between the console and the carpet... it’s like it fell between the seat in a sport you just cannot reach.
View from below *shifter box is not stock but this give you a reference of what below the assembly.
2CE7675A-034B-42C0-8D9F-E5194426D067.jpeg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If it’s worth it I’ll do it haha. Any idea of where to start ? Thanks for the help by the way

Its a big job, but if you're going to remove the centre consol then you might as well fit the two best modifications....1. the Dieselgeek superpin......& 2. the VW USB ports for the rear vent panel.....(China eBay)

17Blk.Mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Its a big job, but if you're going to remove the centre consol then you might as well fit the two best modifications....1. the Dieselgeek superpin......& 2. the VW USB ports for the rear vent panel.....(China eBay)
I’ve been looking into the superpin but know nothing about the usb ports.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate