GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dropped Oil Pan - Found This!

TX16GTI

Does anyone know what the hell this is?

I was getting oil pressure warnings, dropped the oil pan and this was in there with a few small shavings.

I’ve no idea what this and from where it came.

Can anyone give me some (legit) advice, here?

‘16 GTI SE PP/LP MT

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That’s a thrust bearing retainer

You’re the worlds closest to victim of crank walk.

Remove the engine and rebuild it now if you’re keeping it. Next time the clutch was pushed could’ve been it’s last

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Oh.....my......what.....the.....crap?????

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
So what kind of clutch setup did you have in there and for how long?

TX16GTI

That’s a thrust bearing retainer

You’re the worlds closest to victim of crank walk.

Remove the engine and rebuild it now if you’re keeping it. Next time the clutch was pushed could’ve been it’s last

I’m looking around now to see if I can find someone other than the dealer to do so. I don’t have the aptitude nor the tools to do something like that.

TX16GTI

So what kind of clutch setup did you have in there and for how long?

Clutch slip started a hundred miles, or so, before. I flushed brakes and clutch assuming it had gotten air or water - and it had been a while since last flush.

It still didn’t feel right when driving to work the next couple of days and was going to get back under the hood to flush it once more before taking it in. Then, on the way to work one morning (6 mile drive at 35 mph all the way), and got a low pressure warning. Immediately pulled off main road, checked oil level, all good. Turned around and parked it.

I read up on the drums here, and decided to drop oil pan to see if pickup tube was blocked. As soon as I gave the pan a tug to remove it, heard the metal clinging and there it was.