GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dropped Allen Key Set down Engine Bay

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
Welp finally lost a tool to the abyss known as the engine bay. I was doing the manual transmission shifter alignment and had a set of Allen keys resting on the engine cover. Of course right before that I had one of those quick mental conversations:

"Don't place tools there, you'll knock it in...."
"What ever, chances are slim, it'll be quick..."

Of course I'm leaning over messing with the air intake pipe and knock the keys off the front side of the engine bay. I've looked from every angle and can't see them and can't hear anything tapping the plastic undercarriage cover from below the car. Radiator fans are spinning freely.

I'm thinking of starting the engine but of course my transmission is out of alignment and I don't have a similar pin to use... Bless

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
That’s the worst. I started using magnetic trays years ago, and made an effort to always use the tray for small bits, and to not do things like rest a screwdriver on the fender rail.

I picked up a magnetic flex wand, and one with a claw on the end to reach into tight nooks.

Are you able to put the front end on jacks stands, and get under the car with a flashlight and just do some looking around? I’ve found that to be helpful, just crawling under there and trying to shine a light around methodically and looking. Do some good hard looking around anything that moves, axles, etc.

Worst cases scenario you might end up hearing in ping around in a few weeks as it gets dislodged.