GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drop in mpg on gtd

Graham001

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello, I’ve recently noticed a large drop in mpg on my 16 plate gtd. normally on my way to work I’ll get between 43 to 46 through town on a quite morning. This never differs and it’s been like that since I purchased the car . I now get low 30s trying my hardest to cost up to traffic lights and keep rolling. Same on steady motorway trips as well, where before I’d get low to mid 50s I’m now in low 40s. I’ve noticed no difference in power , car feels the same, tyre pressures good .
Has any body experienced this or any ideas, thanks

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe regens..??

...tbh mine has dropped but I think that's due to the colder weather we are having. Waiting for the car to defrost + heated mirrors + heated seats (on full).

Last edited:

Graham001

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for quick reply, I’ve had no warning signs on dash , is this normal ?.
I’ve just googled the regen you mentioned and I’ve got to admit I’ve been doing a lot of short journeys lately, I’ll give it a good run on motorway in a lower gear and report back.
Is this the normal thing to do , I’ve had no experience with diesels before, thanks

Graham001

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi I’ve given car a good run on motorway a couple of times over weekend then I’ve just been on another round trip on motorway of 40 miles where I stayed between 50 and 70 and tried my best to get highest mpg I could. I averaged 49 mpg which suppose is ok but still think it’s slightly down on what I use to get. I would of expected more 53/54 Ish. How would this compare to any body else’s , thanks .

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Hi I’ve given car a good run on motorway a couple of times over weekend then I’ve just been on another round trip on motorway of 40 miles where I stayed between 50 and 70 and tried my best to get highest mpg I could. I averaged 49 mpg which suppose is ok but still think it’s slightly down on what I use to get. I would of expected more 53/54 Ish. How would this compare to any body else’s , thanks .

Might be something to do with diesel now having winter additives in it! It’s known to cause a reduction in MPG.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

We're you using the heater? What was the temperature?

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed

I left work this afternoon, and drove through terrible traffic on the M62 motorway. I managed this:

52.6mpg Avg Consumption (Since Start)
17m Distance
0.26h Traveling Time
8Deg C

Just note, the drivers heated seat was on full, the heated mirrors where also on.

This morning going to work I only managed very low 40's mpg on the motorway, and Friday I had high 30's but this was on the A roads.
The cold weather will lower your mpg.

One thing I do find, if you just relax, enjoy the drive, stop watching the mpg ...I get better mpg! :)

Graham001

Passed Driver's Ed
I did have the heater on , heated seats were off , mirrors were on as usual I never turn them off , not sure if this will do any harm or not . Outside temp was quite cold probably around 6/7 degree .. I suppose around 50 is ok on motorway but I’ve mid 50 s before without trying,, Thanks

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
I stopped using this app in Jan 2018, but this is 12months worth of readings from Feb 2017...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39991

Found this from another thread I posted sometime ago. The data, and graph is from 2017, but shows how much my mpg fluctuated. Btw, I get better mpg now...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I did have the heater on , heated seats were off , mirrors were on as usual I never turn them off , not sure if this will do any harm or not . Outside temp was quite cold probably around 6/7 degree .. I suppose around 50 is ok on motorway but I’ve mid 50 s before without trying,, Thanks

Usually people think that only the AC affects fuel mileage but the heater does also. So if you are comparing your mileage with the heat on to when you didn't need heat the mileage will drop.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Also: how are you measuring MPG? The computer calculator is pretty rotten at getting accurate measurements as i recall, and anyone wanting real MPG was using an app, like above, and tracking mileage between tank fills.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Also: how are you measuring MPG? The computer calculator is pretty rotten at getting accurate measurements as i recall, and anyone wanting real MPG was using an app, like above, and tracking mileage between tank fills.

Most accurate way is to write down your odometer mileage with a full tank and then when you refill divide the miles driven by the number of gallons to the tenth to calculate your mileage.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Short (under 15mins) & low mph journeys & winter grade diesel....

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
Heated seats mirrors etc all affect mpg as does the colder weather.

also it’s worth turning aircon to eco mode in winter months via driver profile settings!

Graham001

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks everybody for your reply’s , I’m noticing a difference with the colder weather. Probably everything switched on and engine oil thicker.? Thanks again