GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DRL intermittent issue

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Hi,

I have a mk7 golf R and the DRL on the right is intermittent.

- Sometimes it works fine and both rings light up.
- Other times neither ring lights up.
- Other times 1 ring lights up but the other doesn't. Eventually the one that's lit up flickers a little and goes out

I scanned with vcds and the only issue that I could find related to this was ride height sensor. I have replaced that but the issue is still there after clearing all faults. I have scanned again and the ride height sensor fault is no longer there but the DRL still has a mind of its own. Iv read that it could be the control module for the headlight but wouldn't that cause the DRL not to work all together?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Try swapping your DRL module to the left headlight and see if the issue follows would be the easiest. Could be the module is on it's way out/corroded.

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Yeh I thought it might be. I was wondering if anyone got an errors when this happens as I have no errors after a scan with vcds

Vdubfourlife

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Hello, I think you have no errors because technically they still come on (flickering) it may be loocking for a high/ low resistance and due to no lights out, you won't get a fault.

I know this is a bit much but I would try to just swap out the head light and see if In fact it is the light assembly.
And yes you can remove the Headlight without removing the bumper cover. I've done it,
1. Take out grill and 4 screws on each side bumper to fender liner. and 1each side bumper to radiator support
2. detach bumper cover from the side, the cover will flex enough for you to stick ur hand on the side with a torx tip and wracked to remove screw.
(you will have enough room to snake ur hand in to remove one screw that attaches the light assembly to the fender)
3. remove Headlight assembly upper cross member and you can remove light assembly.

Yes it's work but not that bad or just chance buying a new/used light assembly, hope either one works for you.

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Hello, I think you have no errors because technically they still come on (flickering) it may be loocking for a high/ low resistance and due to no lights out, you won't get a fault.

I know this is a bit much but I would try to just swap out the head light and see if In fact it is the light assembly.
And yes you can remove the Headlight without removing the bumper cover. I've done it,
1. Take out grill and 4 screws on each side bumper to fender liner. and 1each side bumper to radiator support
2. detach bumper cover from the side, the cover will flex enough for you to stick ur hand on the side with a torx tip and wracked to remove screw.
(you will have enough room to snake ur hand in to remove one screw that attaches the light assembly to the fender)
3. remove Headlight assembly upper cross member and you can remove light assembly.

Yes it's work but not that bad or just chance buying a new/used light assembly, hope either one works for you.
Hi, thanks for this reply. What do you mean by swap out the headlight assembly? Switch the sides of the headlight? The problem I have is that sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. When I went to get it checked it was working but after they did all the work and I went down the road it stopped.

Vdubfourlife

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Hello, if possible swap the left for the rite assembly and see if the fault follows, however from what you stated it sounds to me that after a few minutes of the lights being on they are over heating and that's why they stop working, you may need a new assembly, sorry I couldn't be much help and good luck

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I have a mk7 golf R and the DRL on the right is intermittent.
- Sometimes it works fine and both rings light up.
- Other times neither ring lights up.
- Other times 1 ring lights up but the other doesn't. Eventually the one that's lit up flickers a little and goes out
No I moved the control module over but the issue is still on the same side
Which module did you move over? Correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the Golf R has 4 modules on each headlight:
1. Bulb Igniter - 8K0.941.597.E
2. AFS Leveling module - 3D0.941.329.D
3. Inner DRL - 4G0.907.697.F
4. Outer DRL - 4G0.907.697.G
01E100B2-C888-4472-977E-A4A371BF10F1.jpeg

Outer and Inner DRL get powered via Pin10/12 at the headlight plug. Have you checked the headlight connector itself? Are Pins 10/12 seated properly? Any corrosion visible?

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Which module did you move over? Correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the Golf R has 4 modules on each headlight:
1. Bulb Igniter - 8K0.941.597.E
2. AFS Leveling module - 3D0.941.329.D
3. Inner DRL - 4G0.907.697.F
4. Outer DRL - 4G0.907.697.G
View attachment 209007
Outer and Inner DRL get powered via Pin10/12 at the headlight plug. Have you checked the headlight connector itself? Are Pins 10/12 seated properly? Any corrosion visible?
I moved the inner and outer drl modules. The strange thing is, both rings stopped working at the same time. Now I sometimes ione of them decided to work but most commonly both don't work.
It's really annoying because it's an intermittent issue. When I took it to the garage initially they all worked because I got some replacement modules. But 30 minutes later it stopped working again.
The pins appeared to be fine and no sign of corrosion or water damage for that matter.
Interestingly no fault codes are being generated. Do you think the AFS levelling module could be causing the issue? I'll check the pins again when it's back in on Tuesday.
Also my inner DRL was G and outer was H (suffix)
See picture attached

Attachments

• 20210403_113703.jpg
    20210403_113703.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 124

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I don’t think the AFS module is the issue. The likelihood that two DRL modules and/or two LED-U-Elements go bad at the same time is very low I believe. For me it sounds like a loose or bad connection somewhere. Either outside or inside of the housing.
GLW your investigation