GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driving profiles modification tool!

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
A few weeks ago, I opened up www.mqbtools.nl, which I will use to release tools I've made for our beloved MQB-based cars!
The first and most useful one is the FPA editor (FPA = Fahr Profil Auswahl, which is Driving Profile Selection). You can use it to edit gateway datasets for your 3Q0 gateway.

If you have VCP or ODIS, you can have a lot of fun with these datasets, because it allows you to have full control over the behavior of your car in each driving profile.

It all started a few years ago, when I had a Golf GTE with missing GTE mode after I updated to MIB2.... I started reverse engineering this bunch of data here:
1677594962123.png

... and made a template to be used with 010 editor (find it here if you're curious: https://github.com/jilleb/mqb-fpa ), so you could edit it in HEX, and have a translation of the data, like this:
1677595064505.png

But....... it was still a pain in the *** to edit... Even after making about 4000 different datasets, I am still making small mistakes myself... so I decided I needed a tool to edit it all. So I asked chatGPT for some help, on how to do this . And the robot showed me the way! Many hours of coding later, the FPA tool is about 75% done, but it can be used already to make your own modifications, with screens like this:

1677595259538.png

And when you're done making your changes, you can save it as raw binary data, ODIS XML or VCP XML that you can upload using your favorite advanced coding tools. Don't worry about breaking anything. I left out the dangerous settings :D
I realize that's still not something everyone wants to do on his/her car, but if you know someone who likes to do VCP/ODIS stuff... make sure you tell them!

Some things you can do with this tool:
  • See what controls are hidden, but are still influenced by setting the profile. You can unhide controls that are hidden from sight. VW hides a lot of settings, like Background lighting (used for Ambient lighting per profile)
  • Tweak your profiles. For instance: change ECO engine to Sport ;)
  • Rename a profile. You cannot add a profile if you don't have the SWaP code, but you can replace/rename a profile to something else. For instance: change Eco to Race. And there's even a "Clubsport mode" they never used, but is functional:
    1677596165863.png
  • Add controls. Some cars don't have a Soundaktor (fake engine sound) module, Background lighting or ACC. You can add these controls and you will be able to interact with them via the driving profile
  • Add more options in individual-mode:
    1677596330754.png
  • Enable the DCC-slider for additional DCC modes (so you can set it to 0-15 instead of 1,2,3, although you will also need an updated DCC firmware+dataset):
    1677596379068.png
And there's probably more you can do with it, if you're creative.

In the upcoming weeks, I'll add more functionality.
I hope everyone likes it, ideas are always welcome. I'm planning to keep it all free of charge and without banners.
Now you might ask: Where's the catch? There is none. I'm using this project to make my knowledge available for a wider audience. And I'm having a lot of fun while doing this, and I'm inproving my programming skills while doing so. I hope some shops/coders will add custom datasets to their portfolio, and buy me a coffee or make a donation every now and then, so I can continue hosting the site.

Have fun! Feel free to share ideas, questions, feature requests and such.

Attachments

• 1677594529104.png
    1677594529104.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 1677594823986.png
    1677594823986.png
    818 KB · Views: 81

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Whooaaa @Chillout, now how are people going to charge money to use your research for profit? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But seriously, this is awesome. I've been chasing you down with datasets, probably flashed a few hundred of my own, having to fix things on my lunch break, etc. The sooner I can stop looking at 010 editor the better, even though I made myself semi-competent with it.

And because you need more to do, when is the LIN RGB Utility going to be done :unsure:.
Just kidding, kind of, always excited to see what you get up to.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Great job! I was following this project silently and I'm very happy seeing where it is now.

Four questions:

1. Control 16, Engine: FMA (Freewheeling, engine off) - that's coasting/disengaging both clutches when cruising with no load (vehicles with DSG), right?

2. Let's say I want to disable start/stop system permanently in a vehicle. Is the procedure below enough to prepare dataset that will do that?
  • go to controls3
  • Allow control to be set to these profiles → add Dynamic/Sport or Race.
  • Allow control to be set to these profiles → remove Eco
3. Are older datasets supported? Like prefacelift DJ or C9?

4. Which formats are supported for self-provided dataset upload? BIN, VCP-XML, ODIS-XML?

Last edited:

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Great job! I was following this project silently and I'm very happy seeing where it is now.

Thanks!

Four questions:

1. Control 16, Engine: FMA (Freewheeling, engine off) - that's coasting/disengaging both clutches when cruising with no load (vehicles with DSG), right?

Indeed, coasting/sailing.

2. Let's say I want to disable start/stop system permanently in a vehicle. Is the procedure below enough to prepare dataset that will do that?
  • go to controls3
  • Allow control to be set to these profiles → add Dynamic/Sport or Race.
  • Allow control to be set to these profiles → remove Eco

Unfortunately, that wouldn't work. ECO turns start/stop back on, but it can't be turned off like this via FPA. But........ When you set ESC System to offroad, it will disable Start Stop permanently as well. Although this probably has unwanted side effects, because Offroad ESC influences the driving experience.
3. Are older datasets supported? Like prefacelift DJ or C9?

Not yet. I don't have a 5Q0/5QE gateway in a car near me, otherwise I could compare the dataset with the stuff on the screen. But if you have some examples of datasets and how they are represented on the screen: please send the info!
4. Which formats are supported for self-provided dataset upload? BIN, VCP-XML, ODIS-XML?

These formats indeed. The big XML files from the factory aren't supported, as they can contain multiple FPA datasets.

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Nice! I'm also a silent follower :)
Just to be sure, you still need a FW >= Q, right? Still need to find some time to change my GW, currently on L..

Before I swap my GW, do you need something of it? Like dataset or something?

After the swap I'm willing to help and test.
Currently not at my desk, so I can't check, but I can imagine that their is still a lot of data that needs to be tested.

Also one question, but not directly to you, maybe someone else can answer it, but are Lear and Conti GWs interchangeable?
I have a Lear gw but got a Conti one for free (AA). Otherwise I still have to buy one.
If no one knows the answer I'll just try it. :)

dvw.r

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You'll need dataset and FEC's restored if you change gateway, component protection of course.

What is your gateway hardware? I had to upgrade from 5Q0 gateway to 3Q0 on my Mk7. But I have updated firmware on my 3Q0 without issue, did not have to reload dataset, CP or anything. Updated firmware, cleared faults and went on my way.

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
CP and FECs are not a problem, I have ODIS Online. Basic settings aren't possible because of a not VW approved replacement but I have datasets available.

Currently running a 3Q0907530C with FW 3Q0907530L. An update to Q is not possible I guess because of the HW version, 436 (LEAR).

I have a 3Q0907530C with FW 3Q0907530AA as a replacement (HW 521 Continental).

dvw.r

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Not yet. I don't have a 5Q0/5QE gateway in a car near me, otherwise I could compare the dataset with the stuff on the screen. But if you have some examples of datasets and how they are represented on the screen: please send the info!
Sadly, I have only some XML files that I found over the internet. And my MK7 is not equipped with Drive Modes. Otherwise I would experiment with this.

Keep up the good work!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Sadly, I have only some XML files that I found over the internet. And my MK7 is not equipped with Drive Modes. Otherwise I would experiment with this.

Keep up the good work!
All I read was that you need to retrofit driving modes 🤷‍♂️. My Mk7 (also 2.0 TDI) came without, now it has them.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
All I read was that you need to retrofit driving modes 🤷‍♂️. My Mk7 (also 2.0 TDI) came without, now it has them.
Actually I'm planning to sell my MK7 and get Audi A3 8V. My unfinished mods and pending reviews are holding me up right now. So, as soon as I finish old projects, I will sell my MK7, get A3, and start the Drive Mode experiments.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
MQBTools.nl keeps getting updates and fixes in the last weeks. Mostly, I've been working on the FPA (Driving Profile) tool. Previous updates were mostly about new functionality, but now I did a lot of bugfixing and small improvements.

Here's the summary:

XML export fixed!
I mostly work with binary files, for manual editing... so I didn't notice the exported XMLs were not working with VCP and ODIS. Whoops! Now it should work.

Grouped controls
Controls (like Engine, Gearbox, Background Lighting, Steering) can exist in groups, with a main control that will show up in the infotainment screen. For instance, "Drive" on your screen can have "Engine", "Gearbox", "Interior Engine Sound" and "Exhaust Valves" as a control underneath, hidden from sight. Setting "Drive" to a different mode influences the way all these sub-controls behave.
Untitled.png

It's possible to change the "main" control to something else, or to add additional profiles.
Screenshot 2023-03-08 144621.png

The subcontrols are there too:
Screenshot 2023-03-08 144653.png

Allow control to be set to a specific profile. Allow to be reset to a specific profile

Some controls aren't allowed to be set to a specific profile. And some controls aren't allowed to return to a specific profile upon restarting. You might recognize this, when you return to your car, the gearbox is never in S mode, but always in D.
I added these settings to the sub-controls section, where you can change it for every control.
Screenshot 2023-03-08 150927.png

Expert mode
I included "expert mode" that unhides all unused profiles and controls. The screen can become cluttered with stuff when all unused profiles and controls are shown, so I uncluded this feature for the more experienced users. I called this "PRO mode" first, but a friend told me this implied a paywall.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 151105.png

Request values highlighted
All values above 0 now are highlighted, which makes it a bit easier to see any relevant values in this screen.
Screenshot 2023-03-08 151019.png

More example firmwares
Currently, I have 64 example datasets. Some are a bit more useful than others, I'll add an overview of features of each dataset soon. If you have any datasets I don't already have, feel free to share them with me.

Enjoy!

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
@Chillout going to play around with my GW this weekend.
A dataset from a Golf 7.5 R with firmware version L, can you use that? Otherwise I'll pull the dataset from ODIS online first before replacing it.
If you don't need it, I'll skip that step.

Btw. No monero address? :)

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
@Chillout going to play around with my GW this weekend.
A dataset from a Golf 7.5 R with firmware version L, can you use that? Otherwise I'll pull the dataset from ODIS online first before replacing it.
If you don't need it, I'll skip that step.

Btw. No monero address? :)
Datasets are always welcome! Curious what dataset is on it!

And I'll add a Monero address 😅