GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driving Mode Retrofit

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey, recently I got myself the original activation kit of Driving modes for my MK7.
Been looking online for some help on how to perform the online activation but I'm left with more questions than answers.
If any of you have any knowledge on how to retrofit that It would be really appreciated.

1. In the manual that comes with the kit It says - Before you do the online activation you must carry out the online update coding of all affected modules: Engine, BCM, ACC, Gateway, Power steering and Infotainment.
What does that mean? SVM? Do You need to run an SVM online coding for each module seperatly?

2. Found a post on drive2.ru that says to make sure before you attempt this retrofit to put the car back to stock, meaning if you replaced your gateway or infotainment, you need to put the original one back in the car.
Do I need to put the stock modules back even If the new ones are coded to my car?(CP Removed)

Hope this Thread could be a guide one day on how to retrofit It.

Thanks!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you follow the procedure in full it will update the coding for all of those modules. They have to be coded (long coding and adaptations) for driving modes to work.
The SVM codes will tell ODIS online how to code/adapt your modules... which leads to your questions...

• SVM = Software Version Management
  • I don't know if you have to run SVM for each module separately or if one SVM code will take care of them all. Although to be fair that's not going to matter, if you're running SVM on one module you can run it on all of them.
  • As the documentation suggests, each module that is capable of different driving modes has to be coded to "respond" to driving mode changes
  • The drive2 post is technically correct... SVM is going to fail if the modules in your car are not those associated with your VIN
    • This is not about CP (you can "remove" CP of any module you connect to the car, even ones your car never came with), it's about the factory spec of your vehicle
    • For example, my car has ACC retrofit (CP "removed" of course) but SVM for the radar will never work on my car is it did not come with front radar
    • As far as VW (and SVM) is concerned, your car always has what it came with

To better understand why all this matters requires some understanding of how driving profiles work. In summary working driving modes requires proper coding/adaptation of modules (manually or via online SVM), FEC activation (online, part of kit procedures), proper gateway dataset (online, part of the kit procedures), and of course the mode button (which is wired to the BCM).
The gateway is the "brains" of the driving profile feature... specifically the driving profile portion of the gateway dataset
  • The driving profile dataset has the information for each mode, and sends out mode requests to other modules (Engine, ACC, DSG, etc.)
    • So you select Sport, the gateway (if coded properly, manually or via SVM) sends a request to the Engine and DSG module to go into Sport Mode
  • But if these modules are not coded/adapted properly (manually or via SVM) they will not respond to that request, so you will not get Sport Mode
  • There are also FEC's (function enablement codes) for each driving mode... these must be enabled, via the activation key with your kit, on-line
  • Note that BCM needs coding (SVM) because the mode button is connected to the BCM
    • which then sends that to the gateway
    • which then sends requests out to various modules
    • also brings up the mode screen on the infotainment

All that being said... you will need someone with on-line access (dealer, independent shop, retrofit company, etc.) to go through the procedures outlined in the kit. Certainly some of the SVM will fail if the modules in your car are not what came installed. If you are fortunate, the FEC activation and gateway dataset portions will work. Your chances are low if your gateway is much newer than what your car came with (ie you've replaced a 5Q0 with a 3Q0). If you just went from mid gateway to high gateway (but the correct high gateway for your car) you should be fine. On modules where SVM fails you will have to manually do the long coding/adaptations. The number of changes will vary with the module, and of is of course dependent on what modules you have. The road ahead is... rocky.

Edit: I should mention that you can "fool" the on-line system into running SVM for a module your car didn't come with, by manually entering the VIN of a car that did come with that module. But that's not really in the scope of your questions.

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
If you follow the procedure in full it will update the coding for all of those modules. They have to be coded (long coding and adaptations) for driving modes to work.
The SVM codes will tell ODIS online how to code/adapt your modules... which leads to your questions...

• SVM = Software Version Management
  • I don't know if you have to run SVM for each module separately or if one SVM code will take care of them all. Although to be fair that's not going to matter, if you're running SVM on one module you can run it on all of them.
  • As the documentation suggests, each module that is capable of different driving modes has to be coded to "respond" to driving mode changes
  • The drive2 post is technically correct... SVM is going to fail if the modules in your car are not those associated with your VIN
    • This is not about CP (you can "remove" CP of any module you connect to the car, even ones your car never came with), it's about the factory spec of your vehicle
    • For example, my car has ACC retrofit (CP "removed" of course) but SVM for the radar will never work on my car is it did not come with front radar
    • As far as VW (and SVM) is concerned, your car always has what it came with

To better understand why all this matters requires some understanding of how driving profiles work. In summary working driving modes requires proper coding/adaptation of modules (manually or via online SVM), FEC activation (online, part of kit procedures), proper gateway dataset (online, part of the kit procedures), and of course the mode button (which is wired to the BCM).
The gateway is the "brains" of the driving profile feature... specifically the driving profile portion of the gateway dataset
  • The driving profile dataset has the information for each mode, and sends out mode requests to other modules (Engine, ACC, DSG, etc.)
    • So you select Sport, the gateway (if coded properly, manually or via SVM) sends a request to the Engine and DSG module to go into Sport Mode
  • But if these modules are not coded/adapted properly (manually or via SVM) they will not respond to that request, so you will not get Sport Mode
  • There are also FEC's (function enablement codes) for each driving mode... these must be enabled, via the activation key with your kit, on-line
  • Note that BCM needs coding (SVM) because the mode button is connected to the BCM
    • which then sends that to the gateway
    • which then sends requests out to various modules
    • also brings up the mode screen on the infotainment

All that being said... you will need someone with on-line access (dealer, independent shop, retrofit company, etc.) to go through the procedures outlined in the kit. Certainly some of the SVM will fail if the modules in your car are not what came installed. If you are fortunate, the FEC activation and gateway dataset portions will work. Your chances are low if your gateway is much newer than what your car came with (ie you've replaced a 5Q0 with a 3Q0). If you just went from mid gateway to high gateway (but the correct high gateway for your car) you should be fine. On modules where SVM fails you will have to manually do the long coding/adaptations. The number of changes will vary with the module, and of is of course dependent on what modules you have. The road ahead is... rocky.
Wow that's a lot of info.

First of all, Thank you for taking the time to explain that.

1. How will the SVM Process know how to code the modules to work with the driving modes If It Isn't Activated yet? The FEC Activation Is after the SVM.

2. If I just Put the car back to stock, When I Then remove my factory Mid gateway and install my Retrofitted Highline gateway, The FEC isn't there, so There's an extra step if you've ever changed you gateway right?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Wow that's a lot of info.

First of all, Thank you for taking the time to explain that.
No problem, I retrofitted driving modes, not via the activation doc as there's no support for that in the states. But initially I had a "less than reputable" retrofitter do it. They managed to get the current mode showing at the top of my infotainment and to show up in the dash. But modes were not actually changing as the other modules were not coded. This can be seen in the real-time measuring values of a given module. I basically paid for nothing. So the info I now know comes from nerd-ing out to get this working on my car. Culminating in me creating my own custom dataset (which has since been revised several times to fix mistakes I made, but people don't care about that, haha). My car is Frankenstein of retrofits so none of the stock datasets fully applied.

1. How will the SVM Process know how to code the modules to work with the driving modes If It Isn't Activated yet? The FEC Activation Is after the SVM.
SVM probably doesn't "care" about the FEC. The logic being that you wouldn't run an SVM code associated with a FEC you do not have (or plan to have) activated. The coding of other modules is separate from the FEC, although they work together. For example, you can code driving profiles active in the steering module (manually or via SVM) without having the FEC (or even a driving mode button). There will be no negative impact though, because the steering module will never get the request to change modes. It will happily continue to operate in Normal.
2. If I just Put the car back to stock, When I Then remove my factory Mid gateway and install my Retrofitted Highline gateway, The FEC isn't there, so There's an extra step if you've ever changed you gateway right?
That is correct. But if you've done the FEC activation via the official document that FEC should be tied to your VIN. So with on-line access (you, or the shop, whoever) should be able to restore FEC's to your gateway. This assumes your new gateway is one that applies to your VIN. If you have installed a gateway that never came in your car SVM might fail.
  • Keep in mind, as a general rule VW only stocks high modules for replacement. So if your mid gateway failed and you went to the dealer to fix it they would install a high gateway.
  • It would be the highline gateway that VW calls out as the replacement for your mid gateway.
  • And they would then take care of CP, SVM and FEC restore to that new (now highline) gateway.
  • And because SVM and FEC restore is tied to your VIN the new gateway would get coded to function just like your old (midline) gateway.
  • Of course, this new highline gateway is capableof more, but VW's system will not code it to enable features your VIN does not have.
    • You could then manually code that gateway for whatever features you want and/or systems you've retrofitted.
So really, if your current retrofit highline gateway is one VW calls out to replace your original mid... you don't have to put the old one back in before using the activation document.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
No problem, I retrofitted driving modes, not via the activation doc as there's no support for that in the states. But initially I had a "less than reputable" retrofitter do it. They managed to get the current mode showing at the top of my infotainment and to show up in the dash. But modes were not actually changing as the other modules were not coded. This can be seen in the real-time measuring values of a given module. I basically paid for nothing. So the info I now know comes from nerd-ing out to get this working on my car. Culminating in me creating my own custom dataset (which has since been revised several times to fix mistakes I made, but people don't care about that, haha). My car is Frankenstein of retrofits so none of the stock datasets fully applied.

SVM probably doesn't "care" about the FEC. The logic being that you wouldn't run an SVM code associated with a FEC you do not have (or plan to have) activated. The coding of other modules is separate from the FEC, although they work together. For example, you can code driving profiles active in the steering module (manually or via SVM) without having the FEC (or even a driving mode button). There will be no negative impact though, because the steering module will never get the request to change modes. It will happily continue to operate in Normal.

That is correct. But if you've done the FEC activation via the official document that FEC should be tied to your VIN. So with on-line access (you, or the shop, whoever) should be able to restore FEC's to your gateway. This assumes your new gateway is one that applies to your VIN. If you have installed a gateway that never came in your car SVM might fail.
  • Keep in mind, as a general rule VW only stocks high modules for replacement. So if your mid gateway failed and you went to the dealer to fix it they would install a high gateway.
  • It would be the highline gateway that VW calls out as the replacement for your mid gateway.
  • And they would then take care of CP, SVM and FEC restore to that new (now highline) gateway.
  • And because SVM and FEC restore is tied to your VIN the new gateway would get coded to function just like your old (midline) gateway.
  • Of course, this new highline gateway is capableof more, but VW's system will not code it to enable features your VIN does not have.
    • You could then manually code that gateway for whatever features you want and/or systems you've retrofitted.
So really, if your current retrofit highline gateway is one VW calls out to replace your original mid... you don't have to put the old one back in before using the activation document.
Ok so It all sounds pretty simple but what Is an SVM Code? I've seen a few videos of someone performing SVM and inputting a code to tell Odis what to do, but the manual says to just run an online coding update.

Should the manual list the SVM Code?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
In simple terms the SVM Code is the set of numbers (code) that tells ODIS online what changes need to made on that specific module.

For example, you need to run SVM Code 3874 (I made this up) on 5F - Infotainment.
In ODIS (online) you would go to special functions, select 5F, select update using SVM Code, enter 3874
ODIS (online) will check that code 3874 applies to your 5F module, and if so the required changes to the module will be made
- I suspect the SVM code includes anything that can/needs to be done to a module (updating software, loading datasets/parameters, long coding, adaptations, etc.)
- This is likely why the drive2 post says to go back to stock... if the hardware doesn't match SVM may fail straight away

I don't know what manual you are referencing. I have to assume that once VW/your shop/you (if you have ODIS online access) begins the following the procedures for the retrofit, which I assume is mostly guided functions, you will be provided SVM codes as/if necessary.

Coding via SVM will be faster, and eliminates the possibility of making the wrong changes. But that means being module (and sometimes even software version) specific. It automates what could be (in the case of the BCM adaptations) thousands of changes. If you are looking to find out what a specific SVM code did I think the only way would be to scan a module (coding and adaptations), run the applicable SVM code, then re-scan the module (coding and adaptations) to see what changed.

That is effectively what is being done when people compare scans of Car 1 with feature X and Car 2 without feature X. The things that are different would have been taken care of automatically on Car 2 by running the SVM code for feature X (after installing the proper module/hardware).

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
In simple terms the SVM Code is the set of numbers (code) that tells ODIS online what changes need to made on that specific module.

For example, you need to run SVM Code 3874 (I made this up) on 5F - Infotainment.
In ODIS (online) you would go to special functions, select 5F, select update using SVM Code, enter 3874
ODIS (online) will check that code 3874 applies to your 5F module, and if so the required changes to the module will be made
- I suspect the SVM code includes anything that can/needs to be done to a module (updating software, loading datasets/parameters, long coding, adaptations, etc.)
- This is likely why the drive2 post says to go back to stock... if the hardware doesn't match SVM may fail straight away

I don't know what manual you are referencing. I have to assume that once VW/your shop/you (if you have ODIS online access) begins the following the procedures for the retrofit, which I assume is mostly guided functions, you will be provided SVM codes as/if necessary.

Coding via SVM will be faster, and eliminates the possibility of making the wrong changes. But that means being module (and sometimes even software version) specific. It automates what could be (in the case of the BCM adaptations) thousands of changes. If you are looking to find out what a specific SVM code did I think the only way would be to scan a module (coding and adaptations), run the applicable SVM code, then re-scan the module (coding and adaptations) to see what changed.

That is effectively what is being done when people compare scans of Car 1 with feature X and Car 2 without feature X. The things that are different would have been taken care of automatically on Car 2 by running the SVM code for feature X (after installing the proper module/hardware).
Ok I Get it, pretty simple.

As I said before, I Have the original kit from VW, nothing on the manual about an SVM Code, That's the only weird thing about the retrofit, The manual asks you to perform an online coding update, That's It.

If there is no SVM Code In the manual then how can ODIS Know I need the correct coding/adaptations for driving modes and not for ACC or whatever.

This Is the Manual for reference and for other people online needing it. (Hope It's clear enough)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
These are the only pages in English? Doesn't the activation document with an activation code and PIN. I have not ever gone through this process myself, but I assume these have to be entered at some point.

Maybe these are what you're looking for. I have an activation document for App Connect (bought before I knew anything, haha) and there are codes and a PIN number in there.

Just digging around on the internet... there's a comment on a youtube video about SVM that says "SVM codes are provided via ElsaPro under the TPi section"
Maybe someone with more knowledge about this can shed some light on what that means, if anything... could be nonsense.

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
These are the only pages in English? Doesn't the activation document with an activation code and PIN. I have not ever gone through this process myself, but I assume these have to be entered at some point.

Maybe these are what you're looking for. I have an activation document for App Connect (bought before I knew anything, haha) and there are codes and a PIN number in there.

Just digging around on the internet... there's a comment on a youtube video about SVM that says "SVM codes are provided via ElsaPro under the TPi section"
Maybe someone with more knowledge about this can shed some light on what that means, if anything... could be nonsense.
Yea these are the only pages in English, There are activation codes but Isn't it related to the activation itself? There are 3 different codes.

This guide Is written for VW Techs so I Assume the full process should be there, Doesn't really make sense to hide the full process from the tech.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I would have to disagree with the suggestion that anything is being hidden. The procedure is not written for us (not VW techs) to follow. It was written for VW techs to follow. And even then it won't be the tech that (at the current point in their training/career) only does routine servicing. A trained tech is expected to have a certain knowledge level and familiarity with the work.

I'm an aircraft avionics technician. The huge majority of maintenance manual tasks I follow cannot be completed if you don't have a base knowledge level about the aircraft and/or the system being worked on. I've been doing this since 2007 and there are plenty of non-avionics tasks where would I would need my hand held (at some point) to complete.

This activation isn't a task VW ever intended for customer x to be able to complete. And in fact customer x cannot complete it without an online account anyway. Since customer x can't do SVM at home why do they need the SVM codes? I fully expect dealer/independent shop X to know where to get the needed information if they're going to do this activation for their customer.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I would have to disagree with the suggestion that anything is being hidden. The procedure is not written for us (not VW techs) to follow. It was written for VW techs to follow. And even then it won't be the tech that (at the current point in their training/career) only does routine servicing. A trained tech is expected to have a certain knowledge level and familiarity with the work.

I'm an aircraft avionics technician. The huge majority of maintenance manual tasks I follow cannot be completed if you don't have a base knowledge level about the aircraft and/or the system being worked on. I've been doing this since 2007 and there are plenty of non-avionics tasks where would I would need my hand held (at some point) to complete.

This activation isn't a task VW ever intended for customer x to be able to complete. And in fact customer x cannot complete it without an online account anyway. Since customer x can't do SVM at home why do they need the SVM codes? I fully expect dealer/independent shop X to know where to get the needed information if they're going to do this activation for their customer.
Oh ok. I Understand.

Been digging online for more info and trying other languages and I found one guide that shows the SVM Process, When performing SVM He is asked to enter a module address, and ODIS Codes it to factory default(from what he said)

Also, He said that you need to put all stock modules back but you need to remove CP from the stock modules, then code them online, Perform the FEC Activation, then reinstall your retrofitted modules and remove CP Again??
I Thought that the stock module will stay tied to your VIN, even after you replace it, or am I Wrong?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Might helpful to look at this post... https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/20209/#post-177997

The gateway is the CP master. So if you replace (or reinstall) a gateway then you will have to match CP again.
- Theoretically if you were to remove all modules that have CP (and the gateway) and then put them all back in the car later, maybe CP would not trigger.
- But you won't be doing that for Driving Profile retrofit... so you'll have CP when original gateway installed, and again with your new one

Also once you put your retrofitted gateway back in you will have to restore FEC's, which will now include your new FEC's for driving profiles.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
May I have a bit OT question about Driving mode retrofit? I want to add the button by myself since I will also change some part nearby. I have genuine instruction paper and when looking at multiple languages versions, there is no mention to disconnect battery prior to installation (I understand also the ultimate German version, which is master among others). Why is that warning missing? Common sense would call to disconnect the ground when working with car electronics. Thx for remarks

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Might helpful to look at this post... https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/20209/#post-177997

The gateway is the CP master. So if you replace (or reinstall) a gateway then you will have to match CP again.
- Theoretically if you were to remove all modules that have CP (and the gateway) and then put them all back in the car later, maybe CP would not trigger.
- But you won't be doing that for Driving Profile retrofit... so you'll have CP when original gateway installed, and again with your new one

Also once you put your retrofitted gateway back in you will have to restore FEC's, which will now include your new FEC's for driving profiles.
Ok so from all the information you provided these are the steps( correct me if i'm wrong)

1.all the modules that are involved in the driving mode system need to be stock( as from factory, doesn't matter what you retrofitted, just get it stock) and make sure to remove CP.
2. Go Into ODIS, And perform An online coding update for the above modules( Make sure to do a full backup of all modules coding and adaptations incase you need to revert something)
3. Install the driving mode switch by following the manual.
4. go into ODIS Again and perform and FEC Activation( I Believe ODIS Calls it Function Clearing System or FES), write the 3 codes In the manual and if you did everything correctly this should work.
5. reinstall your retrofitted modules back, Remove CP once again, and if you changed your gateway then you need step 6.
6. Perform an FEC Restore, this will restore all the options you have back to your current gateway and now will also restore the retrofitted driving modes.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
May I have a bit OT question about Driving mode retrofit? I want to add the button by myself since I will also change some part nearby. I have genuine instruction paper and when looking at multiple languages versions, there is no mention to disconnect battery prior to installation (I understand also the ultimate German version, which is master among others). Why is that warning missing? Common sense would call to disconnect the ground when working with car electronics. Thx for remarks
Its Always a good idea to disconnect the battery when working on your cars wiring, you might touch ground with something that shouldn't touch ground, and that might be expensive :)