GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driving at (and over) the Limit

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
That is hilarious but also terrifying! Crazy that heat in the tires and track can make that much of a difference.
Dew/dust has such a huge impact too. I was honestly dumbfounded by the experience until I talked to a pro, who apparently did the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Made me feel a bit better! Lol.

Here's a track map, T4 is where I lost it on entry and luckily its all prairie around it!
original.jpg

GTI_TRACK_RAT

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
What was the damage? And what kind of tires were you running?
The only damage was part of the plastic underbelly tray.
I drove off and continued to drive the rest of the weekend.
I was running Michelin pilot super sports.

Also, what speed were you going at the end of that straight?! Seemed like it went on forever

I would hit 145mph on the front straight, but when I spun out, I was going around 110mph.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Turn 10, Putnam Park. Early on, it's was the bane of my existence. I had a wreck on the first lap of my first track day. Easy low side at slow speeds. Nothing but a broken shift lever.

A few more track days later, and that was much more comfortable out there, but was still scared of turn 10. And once, when I was going much faster, I didn't look through the turn again...

Track Virgins 453.jpg

Track Virgins 456.jpg

Track Virgins 457.jpg

Track Virgins 463.jpg

I wasn't naturally fast, but after about 10 track days I really had a solid rhythm on that course.

I'm hoping I can eventually get that same flow in a car.

Attachments

• Track Virgins 453.jpg
    Track Virgins 453.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 78

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Reading Ultimate Speed Secrets right now and really enjoying it! Lots of great gems in there; finding particularly interesting the section about learning and evaluating tracks and prioritizing corners. Can't wait to get back out on the track.

Also, I totally agree with you about the autocross. I think it is a super helpful way to feel out your car's cornering capabilities. Was definitely a good learning experience for me in the simple mechanics of high performance driving (like looking ahead, two hands on the wheel, steering with the throttle, etc.). Will definitely be doing more of it moving forward. Just found driving road courses so addicting. Once you've had a taste, it is hard to go back.

I read Bentley's "Ultimate Speed Secrets" and "The Lost Art of High-Performance Driving" over the summer and found it really interesting as well.

Speaking with a few of the instructors at SCDA, they all seem to agree that Covid's push to a lead-follow instruction method is getting people up to speed better than the traditional instructor as passenger.

When I autocrossed years ago, I found it hard to actually apply an instructor's feedback quickly enough to make a difference. For instance, he'd point to a braking point or the right line and by the time he said it, I heard it and my brain processed it, it was too late. I couldn't apply it until the next lap.

With the lead-follow on the track, I found it very easy to see the instructor's braking point and line and could apply immediately. By the end of each session, it became much more intuitive.

Headed to a MassTuning event this sunday and they offer both in-car and lead-follow instruction for the novice group. I'm tempted to stick with the lead-follow.