GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Assistance Sensors

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Thank you all for the responses and feedback. This morning I hit the same spot going about 25mph and, while it still was rougher than I'd like, the sensors did not go off.

I have 27,000 miles on the car and have done the recalibration with my 20k miles service. I have as much of that stuff disabled as possible through OBD11 or by unselecting them in the settings. I'm due for an oil change in 2K miles and will check all the sensors at that point, maybe even have another calibration done just for piece of mind. I think the 40-sidewall tires and 19" wheels certainly don't help!

Thanks again.

-Bake

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
So sick of all the software in my 2021 GTI, had the Lane Assist (which you have to defeat every time you start the car) Merging onto a 4 lane freeway the Lane Assist thought that a painted traffic island was the road edge and forced me onto the freeway before it was safe to do so. All these options that are supposed to make driving safer are looking like a goldmine for dealer's service departments..
Lane Assist is to become mandatory in some countries - from next year I think - so many manufacturers are fitting it now. There’s more to come in some countries, including speed limiters;

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/speed-limiters-driver-monitors-become-mandatory-eu

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The saga continues. My sensors came back on this morning while just driving normal. I’ve scanned them, cleared and even pulled the battery for a while. It is saying the driver assist system is not available and I can’t even change settings with OBD11. Looks like a trip to the dealer sometime this week unfortunately. I checked the sensor behind my front VW emblem and it looked fine. Is the other sensor behind my rear view mirror??

breadbooze

Car(s)
'18 R, '17 allroad
thr ACC sensor behind the emblem is near impossible to dislodge without a direct hit to the front grille. it does self-calibrate as you drive and it is possible your car's alignment was thrown off by bumps. it will go away on its own in 100 miles or so but if not a trip to the dealer will be needed for the ACC calibration. obd11 can "trick" the system into thinking the alignment angles are fine but the error will return when the system performs the self-calibration.

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
thr ACC sensor behind the emblem is near impossible to dislodge without a direct hit to the front grille. it does self-calibrate as you drive and it is possible your car's alignment was thrown off by bumps. it will go away on its own in 100 miles or so but if not a trip to the dealer will be needed for the ACC calibration. obd11 can "trick" the system into thinking the alignment angles are fine but the error will return when the system performs the self-calibration.
unfortunately after about 500 miles the cruise control and front end collision indicators are still on. The system says these applications are not available. so, trip to the dealer it is.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
unfortunately after about 500 miles the cruise control and front end collision indicators are still on. The system says these applications are not available. so, trip to the dealer it is.

Yeah, something is wrong with the sensors behind the emblem.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
I totally read the year wrong. That's my bad.

Crazy you can't turn off the assist feature permanently. I can disable it on my 2019, and it stays off, like you stated with your GLI.

This might be a question for the dealership. Also, you can easily override the lane assist system by just turning the wheel against the direction the car is trying to take you. I'm sure you already know this, but you said - "forced me onto the freeway before it was safe to do so" leading me to believe you may not know you can manually override the system by just turning the wheel.

Just pay close attention to those areas where you know the car will try to follow unintended lines. You'll get to know most of them on your daily routes. Also, I'd compare the system to your GLI. Take the same drive with both cars and see what differences there are with the systems. Just because your car is brand new doesn't mean the system is calibrated properly from VW.
Terrible when early Apexing...In the 2021 manual there are instructions on turning the lane assist off but when you get there it won't let you.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
No, I have an open ticket about the missing PMI with VWCA. Someone in another thread posted that VW states a software update is due to fix it this summer.
Hi. Any joy with Volkswagen Canada? I have written 3 times and talked to them on the phone...Absolutely no help at all, I am a diehard VW person but the after sales policies suck, I find I can't recommend VW to anybody anymore without the warning that they do not back their dealers up when it comes to warranty repair.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Hi. Any joy with Volkswagen Canada? I have written 3 times and talked to them on the phone...Absolutely no help at all, I am a diehard VW person but the after sales policies suck, I find I can't recommend VW to anybody anymore without the warning that they do not back their dealers up when it comes to warranty repair.
No, but I haven't checked. They told me 'summer', and I haven't had the need to visit the dealership since that one time.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
I think we have to stay on them regarding this issue as VW Canada is zero help, dealer here on Vancouver Island (Courtenay) is brilliant but I suspect they get bugger all in the way of help either...

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
Terrible when early Apexing...In the 2021 manual there are instructions on turning the lane assist off but when you get there it won't let you.
Just was at my dealer yesterday (March 9th) and an "upgrade" for the missing software is in the works, just don't know when. Dealer cannot or will not permanently disable my Lane keeping software but apparently can get an OBD11 reader and do it myself, will see what I can do...

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
No, but I haven't checked. They told me 'summer', and I haven't had the need to visit the dealership since that one time.
Apparently is now in the books as an upcoming fix, stay on your dealer as it is not classified as a recall so no notices sent out.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hmm, I'd be interested in how the MK8 operates. OP, if you had VCDS it would probably pinpoint which sensor it is. When almost all of my dash light lit up it was the LF wheel speed sensor. It gives input to about 12 submodules. A scan listed 12 modules affected, and the last entry was that sensor. Dealer replaced it under warranty, but I was able to see if it was in stock at the dealer before I took it in.

Funny, I just needed to buy my own Haldex fluid since it was out of stock at the regional warehouse. A month or two ago engine oil was out of stock. Yeah, there's no shortages. No surprise, Audi had plenty, same part number.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
Back at the dealer for a software upgrade (which made no difference in anything) They called VW Canada the were told an upgrade is coming but there will be no notice, up to us to stay in touch. Reminder this is about missing displays in the infotainment system, boost gauge, G-Metre, water and oil temperature displays and more