GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Assistance Sensors

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
On my car, I can do it in 2 clicks with the buttons on the wheel, but have to do it every time I start the car. (Click the Assist Systems button on the left, then the OK button on the right.) There are no buttons on either stalk related to this though.

As for the cruise, on mine right in the same 'Assist Systems' menu I can choose ACC or regular CC. I've never tried the regular flavour, so I have no idea if that's sticky from start to start or not.
Can you post a pic of your steering wheel and that menu? Many (most) US cars don't have the driver assist button on the steering wheel or stalk.

I might additionally ask if you could post up an auto scan and adaptation map of 5F, 13 if you have VCDS.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Can you post a pic of your steering wheel and that menu? Many (most) US cars don't have the driver assist button on the steering wheel or stalk.

I might additionally ask if you could post up an auto scan and adaptation map of 5F, 13 if you have VCDS.
No VCDS, sorry.

Here's the wheel and info screen. 1 press on the button on the left (car inside a broken circle, above the + volume button) brings up the menu shown, then 1 press on OK deactivates Lane Assist. Below that you can also see the selections for ACC or Cruise Control.

789B359C-F31A-42D6-AFF5-1882DA30AA28.jpeg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No VCDS, sorry.

Here's the wheel and info screen. 1 press on the button on the left (car inside a broken circle, above the + volume button) brings up the menu shown, then 1 press on OK deactivates Lane Assist. Below that you can also see the selections for ACC or Cruise Control.
Gotcha... you have later/different MFSW buttons. Over time the buttons have changed, and there became more button configurations.

I have ACC but my buttons are different from yours...
You have Driver Assist, where I have Cruise Control Cancel
You have Voice Control where I have Phone
You have View where I have Voice Control

It seems you have a later car in that the setting doesn't stick but you also have the steering wheel buttons to make accessing the menu fast and convenient. The OP has the issue with the setting not sticking but must have steering wheel buttons similar to mine with no easy access to driver assist. I would rather have your buttons than mine as I don't use the Phone button. But since I have added the stalk with driver assist button I now have easy access.

What I have not seen before is the option for ACC vs regular cruise. I need to find a scan of a car setup that way, very cool.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@RudyH it's a long coding for steering wheel module 16. The circled bit is for a button on the turn signal stalk.

It's possible that the drop-down in Bits 4-6 might have something you're looking for. I didn't check it so I don't know what's in there.

Shouldn't matter which dash you have. Separate coding there. But if you have the same buttons as @GenX Retread you should at least be able to get the driver assist menu to pop up by pressing that button. I strongly suspect your car and his just have different coding... Which could be factory because VW does some weird things, unless one of you isn't the original owner of your car and tweaks were made by the previous owner.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
When the car was new, I took it back to the dealer because the setting for Blind Spot alert wasn't sticky... I had to set it ON at every start. They reprogrammed something, and it was correct after that. I don't recall the menu changing in any way as a result of that visit though.

I find the fact that all settings don't behave consistently on this point to be typical over-thought German bullshit.

I've discovered a lot of things that are different in the '21 from prior model years, as in things that can't be done, or not yet. Tunes, DSG stuff, a pile related to the late MIB3 head unit, tons of apps that don't work on my OBD11... maybe this is also a '21MY coding thing, or a Canuck GTI thing, IDK.

On the gauge cluster, the GTI never got the full digital cluster, though the late Jetta GLI did, as well as the R and some other models. I happen to like the analog clocks, but I'm old and angry.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
When the car was new, I took it back to the dealer because the setting for Blind Spot alert wasn't sticky... I had to set it ON at every start. They reprogrammed something, and it was correct after that. I don't recall the menu changing in any way as a result of that visit though.
Probably won't see a menu change. There are adaptations for many of the settings that determine their default behavior. That can be on, off, last menu choice, etc. I suspect the OP's original concern can be fixed in adaptations but no ad-map has been posted.
I find the fact that all settings don't behave consistently on this point to be typical over-thought German bullshit.
Eh, the settings for everything are quite granular. VW not thinking to set everything the consistently from vehicle to vehicle could be considered "under-thought" maybe. But the actual behavior is based on the settings.

The problem is the settings aren't the same on every vehicle. Some of that could be attributed to software changes that add controls (in adaptations, not menu controls) that didn't exist previously. So two 2019's built 2 weeks apart but with a BCM software change in between could have different adaptations (or some of the same adaptations may have different options). The result... they don't behave the same way from the driver perspective. That is very annoying.

I've discovered a lot of things that are different in the '21 from prior model years, as in things that can't be done, or not yet. Tunes, DSG stuff, a pile related to the late MIB3 head unit, tons of apps that don't work on my OBD11... maybe this is also a '21MY coding thing, or a Canuck GTI thing, IDK.
Yeah your '21, being a later car, is just going to be different but that's typical, things evolve. Tune and DSG is just a matter of waiting for those companies to get it done. MIB 3 is new-ish so it will have growing pains, as did MIB II before it. Although I suspect worse with MIB 3 as VW figures out OTA updates.
As far as OBD11, blame OBD11 honestly. The apps are (or at least were, and seem to still be from what I read) poorly implemented. The first thing one of the apps should do is check that all the settings it intends to change actually exist. The reason for this is that the channels/coding/options can vary between different module software versions.

For example, my 2015 TDI came with BCM xx with BCM SW xx. Updating my BCM to the latest SW added additional options to control dynamic rear turn signals (with ignition on only, non-dynamic for hazards, non-dynamic with hatch open, etc.). A hypothetical OBD 11 app designed to work with my BCM's original SW would not work on my BCM with later SW.

Another example, the OBD11 apps to add additional RGB color options on facelift cars. BCM SW CG supports 10 colors while BCM SW DD supports 30 (I might be mis-remembering those versions, but stay with me, haha). If you run an OBD 11 app for facelift cars that assigns Color 12 to Sport mode but your BCM only supports 10 colors then you've got a problem. The BCM will simply reject the coding the OBD11 app attempted but where does that leave you?

Another example... often people run the OBD 11 app to add more ambient lighting color choices but then they lose the menu option to control footwell lighting brightness. Well the reason for this is that RGB footwell LED's (for cars that have them, not Golf's really but Tiguans/Passats/etc) are controlled differently than single color footwell LED's. Without getting into it, OBD11 does not account for this so the BCM changes it makes have non-desirable consequences.

I've ranted before that OBD11 apps should first attempt to read every channel they intend to change, recording the original values. If any of those values come back invalid (meaning the module doesn't support them) the app should stop running. Now assuming all the channels are valid it should go through and make the required changes, then read those values again to verify the changes were correct.
The reason for this is that depending on software the BCM may expect different input for the same named channel (where BCM 1 may accept binary value 0001001 BCM 2 may expect the decimal equivalent of 0001001, which is 9). So when OBD11 sends 0001001 to BCM 2 it may not accept the value... or worse it may take 0001001 as a decimal value, and since the max decimal value for that channel is 255 (or 11111111 in binary) BCM 2 now has a value of 255 and your car lighting options are jacked up.
If those values are not correct the app should revert any changes that were made back to the originally read values (and immediately refund your credits).

As an aside, I don't like that OBD11 doesn't tell you the changes an app is making. Of course, you can (should) always record your settings before/after. And I understand that if they published what they were doing there would be no reason to pay any credits beyond convenience. Maybe (hopefully) the charge is for convenience and not for knowledge.

On the gauge cluster, the GTI never got the full digital cluster, though the late Jetta GLI did, as well as the R and some other models. I happen to like the analog clocks, but I'm old and angry.
Coding for analog versus digital gauge cluster is mostly the same except for the AID specific things like showing maps. If anything I would expect the digital dash to have more possible menu options than the analog. But I don't think that's a concern here.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
Gotcha... you have later/different MFSW buttons. Over time the buttons have changed, and there became more button configurations.

I have ACC but my buttons are different from yours...
You have Driver Assist, where I have Cruise Control Cancel
You have Voice Control where I have Phone
You have View where I have Voice Control

It seems you have a later car in that the setting doesn't stick but you also have the steering wheel buttons to make accessing the menu fast and convenient. The OP has the issue with the setting not sticking but must have steering wheel buttons similar to mine with no easy access to driver assist. I would rather have your buttons than mine as I don't use the Phone button. But since I have added the stalk with driver assist button I now have easy access.

What I have not seen before is the option for ACC vs regular cruise. I need to find a scan of a car setup that way, very cool.
Still have to deactivate every time...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Still have to deactivate every time...
I'm bowing out of this thread, haha. Nothing else I can really assist with here without an auto scan and adaptation maps. Of course I'm not saying that anybody has to get VCDS and/or provide those to me. But there's nothing I can do to help without them.

I'll leave you guys to it 😁.