GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drive TEST: CTS Front Mount Intercooler on MK7.5 GTI

Jewels_mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Hello everyone,

Ive been on the forums for a some time now and have previous experience modifying cars with upgrades. As much as I love the mk7.5 GTI in its base form, I decided I wanted more power and truly feel what a modded version is truly about! Fast forward, here I am 'stage 2' with an aftermarket downpipe. The power jump was a surprise to me and the added TQ in the power band is amazing! When I first got the setup I decided a stock intercooler should be enough for my goal with the car. Then on the cobb AP during my regular drives I would see my IATs creeping to higher levels. Out of curiosity I tried researching the difference an upgraded IC would make with real live data driving. Unfortunately I didn't find much online and it left my curiosity wandering about the potential of my stage 2 setup with an Intercooler upgrade.

I knew any IC upgrade would benefit the mk7 platform, but I didnt know by HOW MUCH. Especially since a lot of other members on here and in the community have similar setup ups, I decided to add a FMIC to the mk7.5 and test the results. With that being said, I am glad I upgraded the IC SOONER than LATER. So here it is, a brief video for those who might be wondering the difference a FMIC makes on these cars. Enjoy

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
The IATs drop impressively. Would you be willing to do a full 3rd and 4th gear run to see if that FMIC continues to keep those IATs close to ambient?

teemmy

Ready to race!
It makes a huge difference on our vehicles! I did an IC after a downpipe and I think the IC makes a bigger difference than a downpipe. The car is much more responsive with an upgraded IC. enjoy!

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
If CTS wasn’t so difficult with customer service, I’d be much more likely to buy things from them.

it would seem jakes kit is top quality, and I’d be much more inclined to buy that

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If CTS wasn’t so difficult with customer service, I’d be much more likely to buy things from them.

it would seem jakes kit is top quality, and I’d be much more inclined to buy that

A friend of mine bought Jakes and loves it. He got the DP also.

Borkowski

Man thanks for the review, got a 2019 DSG autobahn as a fleet car from my job. Got a CTS downpipe, FMIC, Cobb accesport-stratified tune and intake waiting for the spring to arrive here, cant wait to install everything ! Do you run stock cobb basemap ?

Jewels_mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Man thanks for the review, got a 2019 DSG autobahn as a fleet car from my job. Got a CTS downpipe, FMIC, Cobb accesport-stratified tune and intake waiting for the spring to arrive here, cant wait to install everything ! Do you run stock cobb basemap ?
I did run cobb basemap at first but I am now getting protuned. Good you already have the IC ready to go. It will only help the car rather than hurt it!

boostnonu

Go Kart Newbie
Unfortunately my order was canceled due to the Coronavirus. I guess the intercooler core come out of China and we are not allowing anything into the states at this time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Unfortunately my order was canceled due to the Coronavirus. I guess the intercooler core come out of China and we are not allowing anything into the states at this time.

An IC can't get the virus. ?