GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drenched rear seat!!!

avim28

Hi guys, anyone able to help or relate to an issue i have discovered... my rear passenger seat on the driver side is drenched. Having looked around to see if anything is the obvious cause.. i found a puddle of water in the boot where the spare wheel is. Any ideas where this water has come from? Thanks in advance.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
If your rear seat is wet and you’ve got water in the spare wheel well too, it sounds like water may be coming in around the rear roof area to affect both the seat and the boot area. Is your roof lining in the rear of the car showing signs of dampness or water staining? Are the carpets in the rear footwell area damp?

Have you had the car long and is this a new issue?

There have been some instances of poorly sealed tailgate hinges where they’re bolted onto the bodywork above the boot opening, I’d check there first. I’d also check the seals around the rear light clusters to ensure water isn’t getting in around the rear lights.

Do you have a sunroof? Blocked drainage pipes for the sunroof can also cause water to leak into the passenger compartment.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There's another thread that addresses this issue. I haven't seen the outcome. I think they were looking at the sunroof and hatch seals.

avim28

If your rear seat is wet and you’ve got water in the spare wheel well too, it sounds like water may be coming in around the rear roof area to affect both the seat and the boot area. Is your roof lining in the rear of the car showing signs of dampness or water staining? Are the carpets in the rear footwell area damp?

Have you had the car long and is this a new issue?

There have been some instances of poorly sealed tailgate hinges where they’re bolted onto the bodywork above the boot opening, I’d check there first. I’d also check the seals around the rear light clusters to ensure water isn’t getting in around the rear lights.

Do you have a sunroof? Blocked drainage pipes for the sunroof can also cause water to leak into the passenger compartment.

Thank you for the reply. I didn't think to check the roof area so il have a look in better light tomorrow.

The carpets in the footwell are dry as far as i can tell. I have had the car since January but its not brand new (2014) so i will be speaking to the dealership about getting this sorted. No sunroof on the car either.

I have read on other sites, it could be the rear light seals or a plug missing somewhere for draining. It is a 5 door, could it be the rear window letting in water you think?

I just don't want to ignore it and have the car smelling damp and mouldy.

avim28

There's another thread that addresses this issue. I haven't seen the outcome. I think they were looking at the sunroof and hatch seals.

Thanks, i will try another search and have a read but like you said so far no outcome or resolution.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
It is a 5 door, could it be the rear window letting in water you think?

It’s possible, although if water was coming in around the rear window/door, I’d have thought it’s more likely to be due to a defective rubber door seal around the door opening aperture, and the carpet would probably be damp, rather than the seat or boot area. Worth checking out (or getting the dealer to check it out) though.

Edit; a similar issue with water leaking into the boot area on the current model Seat Leon (very similar to the Golf, being part of the VW/Audi group) was discussed on seatcupra.net recently. In that instance, water was leaking in through a small hole in a faulty laser welded joint where the roof and quarter panels are joined at the top corner around the hatch opening.

Last edited:

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Some early MKVIIs had an issue with insufficient sealing of the rear hatch hinges. Could be a source of leakage on your's as it could leak into those areas.

avim28

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have checked in better light and the footwells are dry as is the head liner with no signs of damp or wet patches. I have the car booked in with the garage tomorrow to investigate the issue so i will update once i know more. I did also remove the spare wheel and had a little look whats going on and it was flooded underneath. I have now resorted to parking on a slope so the water runs to the rear rather than into the seats.

Mr. Abulia

Wheeeeeeeee!
Car(s)
2007 CW GTI
Had a similar problem with my MKV. It was the weatherstripping around the rear hatch! Water flowed in and down the side channels, into the wheel well and then sloshed about.

avim28

I got the car back today from the dealer who have replaced some parts in the boot space that are thought to be a cause of the leak. its been a fairly dry day so when it rains i will keep an eye on the situation.

The rear seats however are still squidgy and wet... have we any tips tricks to get them dry and not smelling of damp/mould? Thanks in advance

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Take the rear seat out and store it inside until it’s dry?

Grab at A and B and and lift it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Abulia

Wheeeeeeeee!
Car(s)
2007 CW GTI
I wouldn’t just store the rear seat. Consider getting it properly cleaned, including the foam interior. Who knows what kind of contaminants were in the water. I would also worry about mould. :(

haidenG

I just had this exact same issue diagnosed as being a "pressure regulator" on my back bumper being hit at some point (before I bought the car), which caused water to leak into the car in the trunk just like yours.

Trying to escalate this now to the dealer I bought the car from, as it was certified pre-owned and still under warranty... such bulls*it.. worse case im going to replace it all myself.

haidenG

Also the foam in my back seats are full of mold, I would be very careful about driving the car. I'm fortunate to have a different vehicle to drive while this is being worked out.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
x2 on what ZERO said. Take the back seat out and steam clean if they are cloth. Put them in a small room with a dehumidifier and a heater/fan blowing on them (not too close or the heater could damage them). Make sure they dry out all the way. If you can, elevate the seat on sawhorses or boxes or something, and put a fan beneath it blowing up. Again, dont put a heater directly under the seats or close to them unless you want a possible house fire.