GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drenched rear seat!!!

mk1_gti

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I actually just had this same issue. It didn’t get all the way to the back seat being wet but the spare tire area was soaked. I tried the small drain tube behind the logo; cracked but not the issue. I bought new seals for the taillight; not the issue. I noticed it was more wet on the left side than the right so I started tearing things apart on that side of the car. Trunk carpet out and left hand trim in the hatch removed. From there, I could tell that water was collecting in a small little pocket and then sloshing over into the hatch tirewell area. The only open into that area was the pressure vent; the item in question. It is pn: 7N0819465E
It pushes open from one way to equalize cabin pressure and has a seal around it to prevent water from entering. I replaced it and silicon sealed it in place to prevent further issue. That was at the end of 2018 and I haven’t had water issues since.

Here is where it’s at in the parts diagram:

Here is a picture with the rear bumper off; notice the rectangular vent:

Hi,

Just wondering where you bought the vents please ? Would you have any links..

Thanks,
Rob

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
I actually just had this same issue. It didn’t get all the way to the back seat being wet but the spare tire area was soaked. I tried the small drain tube behind the logo; cracked but not the issue. I bought new seals for the taillight; not the issue. I noticed it was more wet on the left side than the right so I started tearing things apart on that side of the car. Trunk carpet out and left hand trim in the hatch removed. From there, I could tell that water was collecting in a small little pocket and then sloshing over into the hatch tirewell area. The only open into that area was the pressure vent; the item in question. It is pn: 7N0819465E
It pushes open from one way to equalize cabin pressure and has a seal around it to prevent water from entering. I replaced it and silicon sealed it in place to prevent further issue. That was at the end of 2018 and I haven’t had water issues since.

Here is where it’s at in the parts diagram:

Here is a picture with the rear bumper off; notice the rectangular vent:

Hey folks, just joined the forum, some excellent info & experience on here.

Word for word of the above experience Basemodel has had is what i am going through. I started off last week looking to add Dynamat sound deadening to my MK7. 3 days later i am chasing water! While just prepping the boot(stripping liners etc...) i found this puddle of water under the spare wheel.

From reading the forum i checked the little VW badge drain pipe. It was damaged and i got a new one today. It seemed like more, so i checked these vents. Water accumulating behind both. Left side almost full. It must be filling and overflowing into the wheel well.

These areas have drain plugs so i guess they are expecting these to be wet area? I was gonna pop a tiny hole in each plug to allow drain away but a proper fix is probably a better idea as i don't wish to bring on any unintended issues. I have taken off one vent. It looks fine, however the way it sits in the cut out is not exactly tight as can be. It's almost like it 'floats' in there ever so slightly. Surely the seal on the vent surround cannot be effective(Vibration/Airflow). I will seal it in tomorrow and see how i go and report back....

mk1_gti

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Hi there, these cars are crazy ! I’ve had the car from new (March 2015) and never noticed a drop of water until two weeks ago when I found the spare wheel full and the back seat soaking.. The drain pipe in hatch was changed last year and I’m confident it’s not coming in from there, so I checked the vents and they both looked good and the catch tray under the vents are both dry so I’m not so sure mine is coming from there BUT as a precaution I changed both vents anyway and still it comes in, I’ve even checked out the seals on the lights, again can’t see any water running down. However the strange thing I have noticed is water rising up through the floor when it rains or when I put a hose over the area so how the hell does the water come up ??? At the moment I’m driving around in a car with no back seats or rear trim trying to work out where the hell this leak is coming from, my next plan is to take the rear bumper off and see if that sheds any light !

Attachments

• 55764CC0-7B1B-4D12-B660-57F2B63CCB13.png
    55764CC0-7B1B-4D12-B660-57F2B63CCB13.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 1,201
  • IMG_4659.jpg
    IMG_4659.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,144
  • IMG_4670.jpg
    IMG_4670.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_4660.jpg
    IMG_4660.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,642

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Hi there, these cars are crazy ! I’ve had the car from new (March 2015) and never noticed a drop of water until two weeks ago when I found the spare wheel full and the back seat soaking.. The drain pipe in hatch was changed last year and I’m confident it’s not coming in from there, so I checked the vents and they both looked good and the catch tray under the vents are both dry so I’m not so sure mine is coming from there BUT as a precaution I changed both vents anyway and still it comes in, I’ve even checked out the seals on the lights, again can’t see any water running down. However the strange thing I have noticed is water rising up through the floor when it rains or when I put a hose over the area so how the hell does the water come up ??? At the moment I’m driving around in a car with no back seats or rear trim trying to work out where the hell this leak is coming from, my next plan is to take the rear bumper off and see if that sheds any light !
I see the water creeping up in a little corner in the second picture. Where is it in the first? Will look at mine tomorrow morning. It’s stripped.
Another option is maybe the rear windscreen washer fluid is draining somewhere then rising up as it pools?

mk1_gti

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Like I said it's all a bit odd and definitely not coming form the washer fluid as it only rises when we have rain or water is sprayed on the area ? And I can't understand why it's started now.. I've made a few videos if you wanted to have a look see links below, another intresting thing i've noticed over the past few days is if the car is park on a slight slope with the rear of the car at the bootom of the slope the water comes in but it doesn't seem to come in if the front of the car is at the bottom of the slope ? I've also updted the photos on the previous post to make the area a bit more clear hopefully.

Video links

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Like I said it's all a bit odd and definitely not coming form the washer fluid as it only rises when we have rain or water is sprayed on the area ? And I can't understand why it's started now.. I've made a few videos if you wanted to have a look see links below, another intresting thing i've noticed over the past few days is if the car is park on a slight slope with the rear of the car at the bootom of the slope the water comes in but it doesn't seem to come in if the front of the car is at the bottom of the slope ? I've also updted the photos on the previous post to make the area a bit more clear hopefully.
Morning mate, rather than coming up, is it possible this water is moving sideways? There little open corners you have are only created because the sheet metal is bent up like a tab and glued i guess. I will put a pic here to show what i mean.

CAB50D10-48BB-457C-8A51-9C93AF0B794B.jpeg

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Hey folks, just joined the forum, some excellent info & experience on here.

Word for word of the above experience Basemodel has had is what i am going through. I started off last week looking to add Dynamat sound deadening to my MK7. 3 days later i am chasing water! While just prepping the boot(stripping liners etc...) i found this puddle of water under the spare wheel.

From reading the forum i checked the little VW badge drain pipe. It was damaged and i got a new one today. It seemed like more, so i checked these vents. Water accumulating behind both. Left side almost full. It must be filling and overflowing into the wheel well.

These areas have drain plugs so i guess they are expecting these to be wet area? I was gonna pop a tiny hole in each plug to allow drain away but a proper fix is probably a better idea as i don't wish to bring on any unintended issues. I have taken off one vent. It looks fine, however the way it sits in the cut out is not exactly tight as can be. It's almost like it 'floats' in there ever so slightly. Surely the seal on the vent surround cannot be effective(Vibration/Airflow). I will seal it in tomorrow and see how i go and report back....

*** UPDATE***

As with Basemodel, i have exactly the same issues. Looks like sealing the vents to the structure should stop the issue. If i am right with what i found it's a SHOCKING design.

1. The channel either side of the rear window is used as drainage. Water can't get in car because of the boot door seal.
2. The water is ported down passed the rear light cluster. Water can't get in car because of rear cluster light seal.

2FB0A799-D1FC-4A2B-BFBB-E0044EE7A7C2.jpeg

3. The water then flows across the Vent Assembly on its way to just landing on the bottom of the rear bumper and draining to the road. Water should not enter the car because of the 4 rubber flaps that only open outward. Water should not enter the car as this entire assembly has a seal around it to mate with the car body.

The issue: The bloody assembly is free to float within that cutout making the seal useless. While static, it doesn't seem allow water in. But gently vibrate it or move it(simulating 70mph on the motorway with vibration and/or airflow) and water pisses in the seal!!! :(

This is a very poor fitting piece of plastic in a hole thats 2mm too wide and about 4mm too long. The Vent floats in this cutout way too much. And to show you what you can expect to be passing by that vent when it's raining, here i am pouring water in the channel next to the rear window, designed to carry water away......

A1796051-5140-40EB-823D-9C6076C3918F.png

FCBFA40F-E5F2-49F0-AAE6-FC822277DF79.jpeg

Conclusion: The design of the car is that any water that makes its way into the channel either side of the rear window WILL physically pass over this air vent(Which seems insane). So if it's not sealed with silicone or it's able to float around then, you WILL get water inside.

Last edited:

mk1_gti

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Morning mate, rather than coming up, is it possible this water is moving sideways? There little open corners you have are only created because the sheet metal is bent up like a tab and glued i guess. I will put a pic here to show what i mean.

View attachment 193083
Evening boss, the water could move sideways I guess but it would still need a lot of water to rise out of the open corners. The vents seems the obvious place for the water to enter but where the vent sits behind the panel you have marked up is completely dry. As you have pointed out it's a crap idea having the vents there and I'm really disapointed with VW for such a stupid design ! When I find the source I'll let you know. The new vents are a much tighter fit and was hoping that would sort it but it hasn't so plan B

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Evening boss, the water could move sideways I guess but it would still need a lot of water to rise out of the open corners. The vents seems the obvious place for the water to enter but where the vent sits behind the panel you have marked up is completely dry. As you have pointed out it's a crap idea having the vents there and I'm really disapointed with VW for such a stupid design ! When I find the source I'll let you know. The new vents are a much tighter fit and was hoping that would sort it but it hasn't so plan B

Morning :)

You say alot of water, but IMO in your video it's only 'weeping' from that hole. I had a look just now and i stuck a thin cable tie down both of those holes left and right and as expected it bottoms out after 5mm. I'd be fairly confident there is no area below them as such and the water is traversing behind the sheet metal joints, i don't see how else it could get there.
AC8E4EDF-FF23-49A8-A0F8-633E4FAAA22A.jpeg

In this pic you can see how if there is a little channel at all behind there that water could be coming from far away and then end up at your low point and begin weeping out. The sheet metal is well sealed in some places, and not at all in others.

I'm back at it today having just got sealant(for the vents). To do this i will whip off the bumper, if i see anything else in your area of concern behind the bumper, i will let ya know. :)

update: Picture of the underside of the corner where you are having issues.
4513579C-F780-4BB7-8FC4-B1FC7E0C38C7.jpeg

Last edited:

mk1_gti

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Morning :)

You say alot of water, but IMO in your video it's only 'weeping' from that hole. I had a look just now and i stuck a thin cable tie down both of those holes left and right and as expected it bottoms out after 5mm. I'd be fairly confident there is no area below them as such and the water is traversing behind the sheet metal joints, i don't see how else it could get there.
View attachment 193229
In this pic you can see how if there is a little channel at all behind there that water could be coming from far away and then end up at your low point and begin weeping out. The sheet metal is well sealed in some places, and not at all in others.

I'm back at it today having just got sealant(for the vents). To do this i will whip off the bumper, if i see anything else in your area of concern behind the bumper, i will let ya know. :)

update: Picture of the underside of the corner where you are having issues.
View attachment 193235
Evening mate, thanks for taking the time to report back (y) just spotted on your floor panel it seems to be all in one piece where as mine has the inner corners as seperate pieces, have a look back at my photos / video against your second from last photo and you'll notice the floor seam on mine.. I'll have another go this weekend if I get chance and let you know.. Fingers crossed you have sorted yours :)

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Evening mate, thanks for taking the time to report back (y) just spotted on your floor panel it seems to be all in one piece where as mine has the inner corners as seperate pieces, have a look back at my photos / video against your second from last photo and you'll notice the floor seam on mine.. I'll have another go this weekend if I get chance and let you know.. Fingers crossed you have sorted yours :)
Hi fella,

I see your panel is made from more than one piece. Interesting. Any luck with your leak? I sealed both my vents and carried out my Dynamat job. Hopefully it doesnt leak and my rattles may be gone now. Hope all is well. :)

Peter32427

Car(s)
Golf Mk7
Hi Guys,
I've had the same problem with water in the tyre well. No great surprise I traced it back to leaking pressure vents on both sides.
Basically the 'reservoir' below the vent slowly fills up with water and then overflows into the tyre well.
To get to them you have to remove some bits of trim. The key bit being the rear trim to the luggage compartment. This video shows how to remove it:
The removal of the rest of the trim is fairly straightforward.
I put a good seal of silicon around the edge of each vent.
As a 'belt and braces' exercise I also drilled a small drain hole in the plastic bung just below each vent. Should the vents ever leak again, then the 'reservoirs' will self drain to prevent any overflow into the tyre well.
Fingers crossed that I've solved the problem!
Peter

elshiftos

Car(s)
MK7
My story....
Recently purchased a 3-year old Mk7 from an approved dealer, only to discover after a week of driving it that there was a nice pool of water under the spare - needless to say I was absolutely gutted. After doing some research on here and youtube, I discovered it is a common problem, and decided to have a go at tackling it myself.
I found the vent on the passenger side (it's a RHS drive car) had come out of its mounting hole and somehow ended up lying on top of where the rubber drain plug is situated....WTF?! Thrusting my arm though the hole in the trim that provides access to the lamp cluster connector, I was able to pass the vent back though its hole and clip it back in place.
I'll give a week or so with the well carpet removed to dry out before declaring it a fix, but man, what a stupid piece of design!

Cheers

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My story....
Recently purchased a 3-year old Mk7 from an approved dealer, only to discover after a week of driving it that there was a nice pool of water under the spare - needless to say I was absolutely gutted. After doing some research on here and youtube, I discovered it is a common problem, and decided to have a go at tackling it myself.
I found the vent on the passenger side (it's a RHS drive car) had come out of its mounting hole and somehow ended up lying on top of where the rubber drain plug is situated....WTF?! Thrusting my arm though the hole in the trim that provides access to the lamp cluster connector, I was able to pass the vent back though its hole and clip it back in place.
I'll give a week or so with the well carpet removed to dry out before declaring it a fix, but man, what a stupid piece of design!

Cheers
Welcome to the forum. Glad you figured it out. I've never seen another car brand so prone to leaking in so many places. This has to be the second most common problem right behind the thermostat leaking.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
My story....

Cheers

The fact that the vent assembly had come unmoored is troubling. Was it snug when you fitted it back on? Some people experience the leak from a loose vent and apply a bead of silicone caulk around the frame. You might want to remove the bumper skin and do that.