GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drag race Civic Type R v Golf R 8

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’m happy to see any Type R(idiculous) to get beaten by anything. Even my wife’s Kia.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Dual clutch transmission w/AWD vs. manual w/FWD, close in horsepower on their spec sheets (though VW has a reputation for underrating their vehicles too) - I think we all knew how this would turn out :p I was more interested in the results of the race from a roll. The Golf R has some serious legs! Quarter mile in the low-mid 12s range is crazy fast too!

That said, I've still got some real respect for the Civic Type R as an FWD performance vehicle, even it does look like a toy.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I’ve never seen my brother in law outlaunch anything in his type r tbh

but take them to the track. That’s when the type r thrives.
Better be a cold day. Those things melt in five minutes down here, supposedly the 2021 got cooling improvements, but I think it's still going to suck at the track unless you tackle some serious cooling upgrades.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Civic is kind of a pain to launch, and its coming from a GTI 6MT which was also kind of a pain to launch. Like the guy said if you just drop the clutch it bogs super easily. I had to slip both the Type R and GTI when I actually try to launch the car.

Honestly owning the Type R now, there are things I like and there are things I definitely don't. And things I just find disappointing with the name plate like Type R and what it supposed to mean....

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Better be a cold day. Those things melt in five minutes down here, supposedly the 2021 got cooling improvements, but I think it's still going to suck at the track unless you tackle some serious cooling upgrades.
Nah. Assholes think u can just indefinitely do lap after lap after lap. My brother in law can do three laps before he’s not comfortable with oil pressure

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Civic is kind of a pain to launch, and its coming from a GTI 6MT which was also kind of a pain to launch. Like the guy said if you just drop the clutch it bogs super easily. I had to slip both the Type R and GTI when I actually try to launch the car.

Honestly owning the Type R now, there are things I like and there are things I definitely don't. And things I just find disappointing with the name plate like Type R and what it supposed to mean....
Stage 1 fixes that big time. And even then, with the spark based launch control it isn’t great

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Nah. Assholes think u can just indefinitely do lap after lap after lap. My brother in law can do three laps before he’s not comfortable with oil pressure
Umm, why is at an asshole thing? Isn't it fair to assume that a car built with tracking in mind could actually track? From what I've seen down here, the Hondata tunes just make it melt down even sooner.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Umm, why is at an asshole thing? Isn't it fair to assume that a car built with tracking in mind could actually track? From what I've seen down here, the Hondata tunes just make it melt down even sooner.
Not too many cars can just indefinitely lap over and over. Brake and brake temps, tranny temps etc. they’re not gonna hold up

there’s cars that are very well considered in terms of cooling. The zl1 for instance, everything has a cooler. Including the diff. And even then, they can’t take more than 4-5 laps at my local track.

a shit box 4 banger, not too many can do three laps just like that. All oem parts and stock.

my Wrx (not stock) with larger intercooler and radiator can barely do three. Half way into the third I only feel grip in the rear tires man

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Not too many cars can just indefinitely lap over and over. Brake and brake temps, tranny temps etc. they’re not gonna hold up

there’s cars that are very well considered in terms of cooling. The zl1 for instance, everything has a cooler. Including the diff. And even then, they can’t take more than 4-5 laps at my local track.

a shit box 4 banger, not too many can do three laps just like that. All oem parts and stock.

my Wrx (not stock) with larger intercooler and radiator can barely do three. Half way into the third I only feel grip in the rear tires man
To be fair, I've only tracked rwd cars, but my Miata would lap all day in 105 degree heat, as would my M Coupe. Both just had better pads and fluids, nothing fancy. The M Coupe had a large oil cooler and full metal radiator, but that was it and the Miata was bone stock. The only car I've had issues with was the stupid 135i, which lacked an LSD and had stupid six piston Brembos that were all looks and no actual performance. The actual pistons broke. That thing sucked.

But yes, we've discussed my time in both seats of and STI and WRX on track, they don't hold up down here either. A full Cobb car was pretty well sorted, but still was lucky to get through a half hour window without losing something important.