GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DQ381 Leaking (again)

LVGolfR

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello.

This might get a little long, i apologize in advance and appreciate any help.

I have a 2018 Golf R that is currently leaking from the gearbox for the second time. My shop initially thought it was the RMS, so before he tore it apart I bought the iABED seal. Turns out that the fluid was caramel colored and the RMS was fine. It was leaking from the clutch pack cover. Part# OGC-301-205 B.

After waiting 3 weeks for the part to come off of back order, the new one was installed and it was fine for 3 weeks. I got home after a trip to California today and noticed the same leak from the same area.

I have an extensive list of mods including built bottom end and EQT turbo. I was running TVS stage 2+ software, and took the opportunity to grab the stage 3 software while I was near LA. Not sure if its within normal temps, but the gearbox temp stayed between 187F and 201F. The leak did not start until the shop put the new engine in, and claims that its just bad luck. I was running stage 2+ for almost a year on the 034 Hybrid turbo kit with no issues.

Is it possible that the shop damaged something while the transmission and engine were separated that would be an issue with maintaining a seal? I do have more HP and TQ, but would the seal not hold for some reason with increased power?

I have included a few pics, and will take more if needed.

Again, thanks for any help of suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG-46751_1600x1200.jpg
    IMG-46751_1600x1200.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 1,727
  • IMG-4673_1600x1200.jpg
    IMG-4673_1600x1200.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 1,698

Mosquito

Go Kart Newbie
I have been having a similar issue on my MK7R DQ250 that I have tried to diagnose without a clear indication of where it is leaking from and there are few posts about similar leaks online that I have found.

In my case it is less pronounced than yours, but present and draft drives the oil back and slowly up & around the axle area. For a while I thought it may be the RMS because I cleaned the tranny housing really well in order to track the leak and was still unable to find it, but the oil did not seem like engine oil, but rather DSG oil. Oddly it seems to come and go so in my case it is not always leaking.

I haven't disassembled the engine/tranny assembly so I don't know for sure what is leaking, but judging by your description I am pretty sure it is the clutch pack cover in my case as well.

My car is ST2 APR FBO - No engine work of any sort.
For a while I thought that the DSG Adaptation which I carry out every once in a while might be harsh on it, but who knows...

LVGolfR

Passed Driver's Ed
If it's not too much trouble perhaps try putting OEM back in? Clean it up beforehand. It's $0 to try before you have it torn into again.

I can try it. Although I’ve had that one for 6+ months also. It only started happening when the new engine went in. Do you think it’s too rigid for the new power levels?

MK 7.5 R
034 R460 Turbo kit-TVS 2+ DSG Tune-Eventuri Intake-AWE downpipe-Miltek valved CB- little of this- little of that.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Well, the way I look at it, what is the first component there bearing the brunt when you take off like a bat out of hell? Also, you have their mounts which are known to fail. I wonder if maybe they have failed and now you have this super rigid arm, bolted to the tranny now taking the brunt of those forces. Might even put all of that back to stock or at least pull those mounts and inspect. Assuming you kept stock pieces it will cost nothing but your time.

LVGolfR

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have fixed The problem? I have the same issue...
Yes. The installer did not put the cover on correctly. Its very important to put it on correctly and you need to be careful.

Start at 1:11 and it’s a similar process, but don’t know what trans is in the video. DQ250 and DQ381 use a different tool.

Good luck. I know it’s frustrating.

sleepermk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GtTI
So you no longer have leaks to this day?
Yes. The installer did not put the cover on correctly. Its very important to put it on correctly and you need to be careful.

Start at 1:11 and it’s a similar process, but don’t know what trans is in the video. DQ250 and DQ381 use a different tool.

Good luck. I know it’s frustrating.