GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dpf.regen.

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
Had my gtd 2 weeks I've noticed its regen is accruing hell of a lot more than my a3 170.

Read somewhere that the mk 7 doesn't do passive re/gen, in fact I've only heard my a3 regen 4 or 5 times in two years.

any thought guys.

Last edited:

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
They are totally different engines. Is your gtd brand new? Are you mistaking a regen for the fans cooling after you've turned the engine off?

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
They are totally different engines. Is your gtd brand new? Are you mistaking a regen for the fans cooling after you've turned the engine off?

my gtd is 3 month old, fan usually runs when switched off during a regen I thought. its a rare accession to hear it on my last few dfp cars a3. a4. vrs all 170s Many thanks for the reply.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Yes the fans will run on for 6/8 mins after switch off to cool the engine after a regen has been interrupted.

From my experience the 'fan run ons' become less frequent with more miles on the clock.

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes the fans will run on for 6/8 mins after switch off to cool the engine after a regen has been interrupted.

From my experience the 'fan run ons' become less frequent with more miles on the clock.

your a gent,i would have thought having all singing all dancing unit under the bonnet it would be doing less regens, considering the way it driven.
ive got to say though having been with v.a.g. for 40 years this is one hell of a motor imho.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
From my understanding (which is greatly limited) I thought with the VW TDI engines, not sure but assume it's the same with the GTD, that there is no regen cycle, because the diesel particulate filter is so high in the exhaust chain that when a TDI gets up to speed the heat coming from the engine and out the exhaust, actually burns out the particulate in the filter, which leaves no need for a regen system...???

• 2015 VW Golf SEL1.8L TSI - DSG w/ LP •

Last edited:

s7wag

Ready to race!
Funny I only noticed my fan continuing for some period of time for the first time this week and did it twice weirdly. Generally haven't noticed the re-gen happening during driving but only noticed it after switching off and the fan running for another 6-8 minutes while producing a characteristic smell of oil/diesel/hot rubber...all normal stuff and clearly if I'd carried on driving for another 10-15mins I would probably have not noticed the re-gen at all...

I'd also noticed slightly higher revs at idle tick-over when waiting at lights for example - believe this is a sign of active re-gen too going on...

Last edited:

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
EA 288 ENGINE. ours.
service training.....

in order. passive regen
active regen
regen trip by customer
service regen.

so it looks like its more of the same of the dfp units except a little cleaner.
I think the ea 288 engine fitted in heavier cars has add blue fitted seems a better idea apart from filling it up.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
The gtd doesn't do passive regens and the fans after switch off are cooling the dpf down not a continuing dpf regen. I think its been well documented that the mk7 does not do passive regens. The addition of adblue should effectively mean a dpf will never be clogged again.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
I think AdBlue only deals with NOx, not soot? But I do agree that the higher power diesels don't do passive regens. Which of course is not reflected in the EU test cycle!

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
dpf

The gtd doesn't do passive regens and the fans after switch off are cooling the dpf down not a continuing dpf regen. I think its been well documented that the mk7 does not do passive regens. The addition of adblue should effectively mean a dpf will never be clogged again.

I was quoting the vw service manual off anther site regarding passive regens for the new mk7 tdi:confused:. anyway I've not heard my fan going today probably worn out:rolleyes:.
I would have thought that bombing along at 2500 rpm would reduce soot levels some what.