GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DP: MAP vs. Cobb (or others?)

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
I am really just looking to vent a little bit...
I was hoping to grab a SB Stg 3 Daily clutch marked down for BF but have yet to see it yet :-( Being that I was going to be replacing the clutch anyways after my EQT Stg 1 is slipping, I figured I might as well upgrade the DP and go stage 2.

Want to stay catted and was originally leaning toward Cobb. Seeing MAP catted (non-GESI/Non-resonated) on sale for significantly less. Off the top of anybody's head, are there any other potentially more viable options for a catted DP?

?Wondering: is a GESI cat going to be that much better than non (sound, performance, passing emissions, cost basis, quality)?

Thank you.

17 GTI SE 6MT - EQT Stage 1

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
CTS Turbo downpipe.
Get the GESI too it'll smell less and supposedly better performance/flow than the cheaper $100 ones
You'll want the Vibrant 17950 resonator next to combat drone. Also upgrade the rest of the catback to 3" if you're really feelin crazy
Have fun

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I am really just looking to vent a little bit...
I was hoping to grab a SB Stg 3 Daily clutch marked down for BF but have yet to see it yet :-( Being that I was going to be replacing the clutch anyways after my EQT Stg 1 is slipping, I figured I might as well upgrade the DP and go stage 2.

Want to stay catted and was originally leaning toward Cobb. Seeing MAP catted (non-GESI/Non-resonated) on sale for significantly less. Off the top of anybody's head, are there any other potentially more viable options for a catted DP?

?Wondering: is a GESI cat going to be that much better than non (sound, performance, passing emissions, cost basis, quality)?

Thank you.

I absolutely love my catted CTS Turbo Catted DP. I passed emissions without any issues. Just remember to install the O2 sensor spacer. And I love how it sounds, I might not even get a catback. It's quiet down low and screams up high. And I have a 2017 stage 2 eqt with a dsg.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Thank you.

GESI has become a bit synonymous with their EPA cats, which are much more likely to pass emissions. I *think* MAP's gesi cat is a high output epa cat, but good to check. GESI also offers an off road cat for much less which you might see floating around (so the MAP "race" cat might still be a GESI "GSport" cat, but, hey, marketing).

The further the cat is from the exhaust manifold, the less effective it is at reducing smell (and emissions). So MAP/Cobb would probably be pretty effective, trackslag a bit less, and CTS far less. For a street car where you might care about smells and emissions, the former are probably better. Having had a CTS, on the other hand, it did almost nothing as a cat besides act as a resonator. Smelled like shit, so I assume it didn't do much for emissions either. O2 spacers can get it to pass but with the design of the bung they tend to trap condensation and kill O2 sensors, however.

As for quality, I'd say if you're going for a cat close to the manifold, make sure it's something like GESI or HJS, even if the cell count isn't super high, just cause you'd be surprised at how often cat material goes the wrong way when it fails. I'd also say the fitment on a trackslag isn't great, so unless you need 4" for a big turbo, I'd avoid them unless you like chasing down exhaust rattles.

IMO everyone's preference on sound is pretty subjective and phone videos on youtube played through laptop speakers are a terrible way to audition exhaust noises, so it's hard to recommend the perfect exhaust. For most people, a cat and a resonator before your mufflers is probably acceptable. MAP is known for having a decent fab shop, so if you spotted a deal you like, I'd go for it.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Our GESI option is going to be the highest flowing emission "friendly" cat. The standard catted option is the G-sport option mentioned here. The performance difference between the two will be pretty slim unless going bigger turbo. I would also always recommend going with a resonated option regardless of the brand you go with. +1 for MAPS fab shop, just put one on my car and it was great! 😆

-Kevin, Brand Manager

GESI has become a bit synonymous with their EPA cats, which are much more likely to pass emissions. I *think* MAP's gesi cat is a high output epa cat, but good to check. GESI also offers an off road cat for much less which you might see floating around (so the MAP "race" cat might still be a GESI "GSport" cat, but, hey, marketing).

The further the cat is from the exhaust manifold, the less effective it is at reducing smell (and emissions). So MAP/Cobb would probably be pretty effective, trackslag a bit less, and CTS far less. For a street car where you might care about smells and emissions, the former are probably better. Having had a CTS, on the other hand, it did almost nothing as a cat besides act as a resonator. Smelled like shit, so I assume it didn't do much for emissions either. O2 spacers can get it to pass but with the design of the bung they tend to trap condensation and kill O2 sensors, however.

As for quality, I'd say if you're going for a cat close to the manifold, make sure it's something like GESI or HJS, even if the cell count isn't super high, just cause you'd be surprised at how often cat material goes the wrong way when it fails. I'd also say the fitment on a trackslag isn't great, so unless you need 4" for a big turbo, I'd avoid them unless you like chasing down exhaust rattles.

IMO everyone's preference on sound is pretty subjective and phone videos on youtube played through laptop speakers are a terrible way to audition exhaust noises, so it's hard to recommend the perfect exhaust. For most people, a cat and a resonator before your mufflers is probably acceptable. MAP is known for having a decent fab shop, so if you spotted a deal you like, I'd go for it.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Our GESI option is going to be the highest flowing emission "friendly" cat. The standard catted option is the G-sport option mentioned here. The performance difference between the two will be pretty slim unless going bigger turbo. I would also always recommend going with a resonated option regardless of the brand you go with. +1 for MAPS fab shop, just put one on my car and it was great! 😆

-Kevin, Brand Manager
But, it looks like even the G-Sport is a 300 cell and EPA compliant for 49 states? I still should use an O2 spacer to avoid a CEL and feel good I'm meeting 49 state emissions not being in CA? Or is the "OBD2 Non-EPA compliant" one that is used that is still 300 cell and should knock out pretty much all smells at least?
https://gsportbygesi.com/high-performance-catalytic-converters/g-sport-emissions-systems-products/

J.Etter

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm very happy with my catted (non-GESI) Map downpipe. I don't notice any difference in smell over the factory one and no CEL with a o2 spacer.

I had ran a used CTS catted downpipe for a short period of time. There was a very noticeable smell from it, and it had a tinny sound to it. Sold that and went back to the factory setup until I picked up the Map downpipe.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
I'm very happy with my catted (non-GESI) Map downpipe. I don't notice any difference in smell over the factory one and no CEL with a o2 spacer.

I had ran a used CTS catted downpipe for a short period of time. There was a very noticeable smell from it, and it had a tinny sound to it. Sold that and went back to the factory setup until I picked up the Map downpipe.
This is great to hear! I was lucky and found the MAP for only $450, the same price as the CTS but noticed the CTS had it's cat *after* the O2 sensor and pretty far back to heat up quickly so I chose the MAP based off it being closer to the engine for warmup and the O2 spot afterwards. I added an L shaped spacer off eBay for like $11 so it definitely is good to hear this setup should be good for no CEL without a tune and having full readiness for emissions testing. Thankfully, there is no visual n my state but do need full readiness. Thanks for the reply!

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
But, it looks like even the G-Sport is a 300 cell and EPA compliant for 49 states? I still should use an O2 spacer to avoid a CEL and feel good I'm meeting 49 state emissions not being in CA? Or is the "OBD2 Non-EPA compliant" one that is used that is still 300 cell and should knock out pretty much all smells at least?
https://gsportbygesi.com/high-performance-catalytic-converters/g-sport-emissions-systems-products/
It uses the 10030 non-EPA model (see link). Still better than most cheap catalysts, but not as good as the EPA certified ones.

If you want a better cat than that, the only options I've found are Baun Performance which has a GESI Gen2 EPA option or DBV2 with the GESI 50030.