GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DP and Passing Inspection in NC

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Hey all,

I'm new to the Charlotte area and wondering how emissions testing works here. I don't have a downpipe yet, but I was wondering how easy/difficult it is to pass with a catted one that doesn't throw a CEL. I see there is a visual inspection that's part of the process here. I'm planning on the Ultimate Racing catted DP, but I could go for a DP with a nicer GESI cat if needed. Thanks

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
OBD scan for emissions readiness and for cell. That's it so a spacer and ensuring you clear any cell for a good drive prior to emissions testing.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks! That's it? The "visual inspection" is not really a big deal? OBD readiness is pretty easy to achieve.
Not really, go to a performance friendly shop and you should be fine. Window tint can pop you on safety inspection too but ask around and find the "right" place.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thanks! That's it? The "visual inspection" is not really a big deal? OBD readiness is pretty easy to achieve.
I’ve never had anyone do a visual inspection. Just an OBD scan and out the door.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

The "visual inspection" varies. Places like Mr Inspection or Quick Lube tend to at least look, but I'm not sure they know what they're actually looking for and could identify that something wasn't OE. I think they're mostly just checking a box to get their fee after the OBD scan.