GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downsizing from 19s to 17s due to terrible roads. BBS advice please

lightbody

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI mk7.5
My 2018 GTI car has 19" Brescia alloys fitted to it from the factory but I can't stand the ride quality any more and am planning on downsizing to 17s. (I bought it used a few months ago). The roads here in the West of Scotland are just awful and I need the car to be usable. Even with the DCC set to comfort its unbearable.

Options I've looked at are the VW Brooklyn alloys - that are standard fitment to mk7 GTIs in some other countries, or perhaps a BBS SR alloy -BBS Fahrzeugkonfigurator | Car Configurator

The BBS SR comes in 7.5 x 17 (which is standard) but with ET35 or ET45.... which is closest to the standard wheel please?

Thank you for advice.

I then have to decide whether to sell the Brescias, or just keep them with the car for the day when I sell - given that they're the original wheels!

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Et45 would be closer to a oem offset.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Why not keep the 19s and use them for winter wheels if you plan on driving the gti in the winter or just sell the 19s.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Don't go just for VW alloys as they weigh quite a bit...I got Team Dynamics, Pro Race 1.2 multi spoke 17x7 alloy wheels in met’ silver with 225/45R17 Michelin Primacy 3 summer tyres..ET was 45mm..for summers..I got their PR3 in the same spec for winter....both types were 2kg per wheel lighter than the OEM Dijon's alloys & tyres in the same sizes that the car came with...

Narrow rims give better sidewall protection from the tyre...

Beatty599

What tyres are you currently running on your 19's? If you've got a PP GTI then I'd check to make sure the 17's would fit as I think 18's are the smallest you can go without hitting the front brake calipers.

I had Pirelli's on for a few weeks before I fitted Michelin PS4S' to my Santiagos, and the pirelli's were very comfy wouldn't know you were driving on 19's, that being said the Michelins aren't that much worse.

lightbody

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI mk7.5
I've now got genuine 17" Brooklyn alloys, which are standard fitment on the gti in other countries.

My understanding is you can fit 17" wheels even to the R, volkswizard on YouTube did this. However mine isn't a PP so I'll have no problem.

My 19" wheels have new pirelli P zero tyres and I've never got used to them. It's just too harsh. On poor roads it's horrific.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I've now got genuine 17" Brooklyn alloys, which are standard fitment on the gti in other countries.

My understanding is you can fit 17" wheels even to the R, volkswizard on YouTube did this. However mine isn't a PP so I'll have no problem.

My 19" wheels have new pirelli P zero tyres and I've never got used to them. It's just too harsh. On poor roads it's horrific.

VW offer 17inch as the "winter wheel set" for the GTI-PP & R...& 16inch as the "winter wheel set" for the GTI/GTD & all DCC equipped lower spec cars....17 & 18inch are the same tyre width from factory which is why I stuck with 17inch...but I sold mine & dropped 2kg per alloy with aftermarket Alloys....for the same size as they as low pressure cast & not cheap "gravity cast"...

lightbody

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI mk7.5
I've added photos of GTI PP cars with 17" Brooklyn alloys fitted for reference.

Attachments

• img-4174-1-1470332633018396825.jpg
    img-4174-1-1470332633018396825.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 153
  • EWVga5.jpg
    EWVga5.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 153