GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downshift question

Captain_kid

That looks normal.
you are slowing in a controlled manner and the car is auto down shifting. When driven faster, coming in harder, the down shifts will be more dramatic. If you can drive similar to video in sport manual, it will be a good start.

Thanks for the feed back! Also every when do you recommend an oil change? My car is bone stock and currently do 5k oil changes. Would you say this is good or should I switch to 3k? Planning to go stage 1 this year with a Cobb access port.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Rev match Double or Single clutch downshifting while braking is something performance drivers struggle to learn well and is a laborsome skill useful when driving at the track. It used to be a necessary skill with dog box transmissions before synchromesh gears became popular.
Our DSG and TCU does all the work for us! That’s what you’re experiencing.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the feed back! Also every when do you recommend an oil change? My car is bone stock and currently do 5k oil changes. Would you say this is good or should I switch to 3k? Planning to go stage 1 this year with a Cobb access port.

I did oil changes every 10,000 up to 60,000. Once tuned I now do every 5,000. Several pulled oil samples at 10,000 and results always looked good, so stock at 10,000 is ok. Doing more often ok also, up to owner. 5,000 with tune is a norm for most. If one tracks the car hard then 3,000 might be needed. Sounds like you are good in what you are doing.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Unfortunately I’ve never driven a manual car before so I don’t know exactly when to shift or downshift. Hence why I got an automatic but I do want to learn how to use manual mode on the DSG looks like it might be a more immerse experience. Any pointers? Or videos you can suggest?

I searched on You Tube for "How to Drive a Manual Car" and there are some. Look for one that covers the subject best.
Might also try " How to drive a VW DSG" Likely someone ahs made one.

Hard to tell this on a forum, easier to teach in passenger seat.
Know anyone who drives a manual? Ask them for a ride and watch. Ask them to explain what they are doing and when they know to downshift. I learned to drive on a manual. Mother was my teacher as my Dad is limited on patience. After watching just drive in a subdivision that has lower speeds and practice coming to stops and down shifting. At lower speeds you can get the timing and then slowly try at higher speeds. Sorry can not offer more than that. Something to work on with you new GTI.

Google - "GTI My Fast!"

Soon you will be like the guys in the video and a lifetime GTI owner.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
To me it seems insane that in the states (unless I’ve got this wrong?) that you can get your licence in an auto and straight away go and legally drive a manual without any tuition what so ever!, in Europe if you learn in an auto you are not permitted to drive a manual at all! (Unless you were to learn all over again in a MT car), Most people learn to drive in a manual here though which then allows them to drive both MT and AUTO.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
To me it seems insane that in the states unless I’ve got this wrong?) that you can get your licence in an auto and straight away go and legally drive a manual without any tuition what so ever!, in Europe if you learn in an auto you are not permitted to drive a manual at all! (Unless you were to learn all over again in a MT car), Most people learn to drive in a manual here though which then allows them to drive both MT and AUTO.

You're right it is insane.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
To me it seems insane that in the states unless I’ve got this wrong?) that you can get your licence in an auto and straight away go and legally drive a manual without any tuition what so ever!, in Europe if you learn in an auto you are not permitted to drive a manual at all! (Unless you were to learn all over again in a MT car), Most people learn to drive in a manual here though which then allows them to drive both MT and AUTO.

i think you will find you have many more specific rules than we do. With current trend of no manuals, soon it will not matter much. Once we have self driving cars humans will know how to do less and less and look at our phone more and more.