GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downshift question

Captain_kid

So I’m new to owning a GTI, I got a 2016 DSG and I’ve noticed that when the car is in sport mode and it’s down shifting the rpms will reach 2k then shoot up to 3k before downshifting to the lower gear, which causes the car to jolt a bit. Is this normal? Never driven any other GTI besides this so I can’t compare myself. Thanks for the reply’s.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
That's...weird, based on how you described it.

In sport mode, (assuming the DSG is also in sport mode), It does downshift at around 2k, and that can slow the car rather suddenly, because of physics.

But, based on what you're saying, it's revving and then downshifting?

The car is still shifting itself, correct? You aren't touching the paddles or shifter?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Don't have a DSG, but does it try to rev match as it downshifts?

Captain_kid

That's...weird, based on how you described it.

In sport mode, (assuming the DSG is also in sport mode), It does downshift at around 2k, and that can slow the car rather suddenly, because of physics.

But, based on what you're saying, it's revving and then downshifting?

The car is still shifting itself, correct? You aren't touching the paddles or shifter?

This is correct the car still down shifts but when it hits 2k it quickly revs to 3k and you can hear it and see it. and it causes the car to sort of jolt. If this site lets me I can film it on my iPhone and post it if it’s iphone friendly.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes it feels like it’s rev matching from what I’ve heard rev matching is. I don’t own or ever driven a manual lol

It isn't rev matching it's just the engine RPM's rising because of the shift to a lower gear. The jolt so to speak is just the quick rise in RPM's which is really braking the car as you decelerate.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
The jolt so to speak is just the quick rise in RPM's which is really braking the car as you decelerate.

This, It's car science. When you downshift, the speed of the engine increases. Because the engine isn't being fed the right fuel to keep that speed, it slows down, thus slowing the car down. If you manually downshift, you'll notice it.

Physics are cool.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So you guys have this same thing happen?

Yes. It's only logical that when the trans shifts from 3rd to 2nd the engine RPM's will go up and since you're coasting down in speed it feels like a jolt because of the gearing.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
So I’m new to owning a GTI, I got a 2016 DSG and I’ve noticed that when the car is in sport mode and it’s down shifting the rpms will reach 2k then shoot up to 3k before downshifting to the lower gear, which causes the car to jolt a bit. Is this normal? Never driven any other GTI besides this so I can’t compare myself. Thanks for the reply’s.

If the car is in 4th gear at 2000 rpm the vehicle speed is roughly 40 mph. If the transmission shifts down to 3rd gear, still at 40 mph, the engine needs to turn 3000 rpm.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I also failed to mention that this jolt is felt more when braking hard. If I ease into the break slowly bringing speed down the rpms still shoot from 2-3 but jolt isn’t felt. @MyGolfMk7 @jimlloyd40

It's just the brakes having to work harder from the increased RPM's. You're on the brake hard just as the RPM's rise. Really it's not a concern but I suppose you could go to a mechanic to verify it. I wouldn't wouldn't worry about it. You can even prove it by doing the exact same thing but in Drive instead of Sport mode and you won't feel what you are calling a jolt.