GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipes

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
I would not put a downpipe on that car without a specific tune for that.
To many blown turbos cos of that. This is gen 3 EA888 with very complex ECU , very picky about bolt-on parts. Tune it properly and according to your hardware and you will have a great and reliable performer.

^ That is pure speculation and generalization. There is no specific data to suggest that downpipes have caused turbo failures on the MK7 GTI. Previous generations of the GTI have not experienced any issues with running a downpipe with just a stage 1 tune, or even no tune. I agree that one should get a tune if they want to utilize the full potential of their bolt-on parts, but GTIs and VWs have always taken well to modifications with the ECU adapting to protect the engine before any real damage is done. There is no solid data to suggest this generation of the GTI is any different, but there is a whole lot of speculation from armchair philosophers who are stating their opinion rather than looking at the actual data we have on the subject.

Turbos are catastrophically failing on completely stock cars in large numbers, on both the GTI and R of this generation. Most of these failures are on completely stock cars. What motor oil or downpipe was used has nothing to do with this issue imo.

Last edited:

blackcat1

Banned
I firmly believe that the motor oil used plays a huge part on this issue.

^ That is pure speculation and generalization. There is no specific data to suggest that downpipes have caused turbo failures on the MK7 GTI. Previous generations of the GTI have not experienced any issues with running a downpipe with just a stage 1 tune, or even no tune. I agree that one should get a tune if they want to utilize the full potential of their bolt-on parts, but GTIs and VWs have always taken well to modifications with the ECU adapting to protect the engine before any real damage is done. There is no solid data to suggest this generation of the GTI is any different, but there is a whole lot of speculation from armchair philosophers who are stating their opinion rather than looking at the actual data we have on the subject.

Turbos are catastrophically failing on completely stock cars in large numbers, on both the GTI and R of this generation. Most of these failures are on completely stock cars. What motor oil or downpipe was used has nothing to do with this issue.

isaidsthats

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I change my oil twice since I got my car... After first 1k miles with motul then I had an under carriage accident where the oil pan leaked oil, and VW fixed that.

Nightbluegti

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys.. if i fabricate a "3" downpipe and make tghe fabricator make some space for the sensors to b plugged intob the fabricated downpipe will i get the CEL?? Ive done the same on my mk2 audi tt without any lights showing and the car was fine...i would appreciate some replies thank you in advance