GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipes - IE vs UR

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
It was virtual dyno so take it with a little grain of salt.
Normal Vortex on pump 92

CTS downpipe was 3.5" for the first 8" or so and then tapers into 3", into 3" cat and then full 3" catback.

Hmmm.... thanks. In my experience Virtual Dyno is usually pretty spot on, normally within a few %. Does seem a little high for standard vortex on pump though.

Last edited:

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
IE is usually pretty good about replying to questions on their products.... odd they didn't reply. I am going to email them. About how much power to you think you're making on current setup?.

I lobbed a call into them just now but the rep at IE didn't know the answer on the 200 cell cat whp rating. He said to send an email into them and then he can route to some of the more technical guys there. I'm curious as well as I run an IE DP on my R. Still on stock IS38 but EQT E40 tuned @ ~410-415whp, but have been planning to add Ed's Vortex running E40 at some point. I know "iTsLiKeAnEgG" had a catted DP failure with his high HP build but that was a USP DP. He changed to catless DP.
One other question I had is running ethanol and cats....does running full E85 and/or blends break down the cats faster than straight pump gas?

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Hmmm.... thanks. In my experience Virtual Dyno is usually pretty spot on, normally within a few %. Does seem a little high for standard vortex on pump though.

Yeah, here is the 'official' one from Ed.

When Virtual Dyno is setup a bit closer to the actual car / driver weight it bumps up the hp / torque a tiny bit.

Attachments

• 4th gear pull.jpg
    4th gear pull.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 209

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
I lobbed a call into them just now but the rep at IE didn't know the answer on the 200 cell cat whp rating. He said to send an email into them and then he can route to some of the more technical guys there. I'm curious as well as I run an IE DP on my R. Still on stock IS38 but EQT E40 tuned @ ~410-415whp, but have been planning to add Ed's Vortex running E40 at some point. I know "iTsLiKeAnEgG" had a catted DP failure with his high HP build but that was a USP DP. He changed to catless DP.
One other question I had is running ethanol and cats....does running full E85 and/or blends break down the cats faster than straight pump gas?

I think ethanol actually might be better for the cat... Runs cooler than pump. Lower egts

I did read something about ethanol reacting with phosphorus in engine oil that gets past the rings which creates phosphor compounds that can damage the cat... No idea how accurate that is though.

I talked briefly to "iTsLiKeAnEgG" on Facebook... USP cat definitely contributed to his engine issues/failure. I definitely wouldn't buy a downpipe or exhaust from them personally.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
IE DP and stock cat back.

Great numbers. Which housing standard or XL? You drive to Ed's shop for tuning? or is this a remote dyno or e-tune. Looks like the IE DP flows just fine.... really would have to see logs though. Bet that's really fun street car.

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
This quickly got over my head lol! I don’t see myself going over Stage 2, if I even flash. Good to know the IE downpipe will easily be up to task.

Fitment looks great! To me, it’s worth paying a little extra to avoid headaches.

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Bump from the dead - The IE downpipe is here and taking up space in my apartment. It a beautiful piece of engineering, and I'm loving the koozie and stickers they sent with it! I should be free to install next weekend! Going to pick up a new gasket from the dealer in the meantime. As per Oddspyke, a Vibrant straight spacer with the medium large insert is ready to go as well. There is one *slight* difference from clamps shown in the online instructions to what I received. Instead of a 2.5 inch slip fit exhaust clamp, they sent a 2.5 inch lap joint connector. I'm going to order a new 2.5 inch slip fit exhaust clamp just to appease my anal retentiveness.

I will attempt to run IE downpipe with AWE Track exhaust. When I get annoyed with that, I am debating whether to throw the OEM exhaust back on or cutting/clamping/welding in a Vibrant 17950 Vibrant resonator to the AWE midpipe. Or ordering Jake's AWE resonated midpipe. Or biting the bullet for the AWE touring section. I am also be interested in running a 3 inch TBE. Thinking a 3 inch clamp (Butt joint? Lap Joint?) and a new section of 304 stainless exhaust pipe mated to the AWE catback might work. Ideally, I'd like to run a length of slip fit pipe from the downpipe and mate that up to the exhaust, but I am having difficulties finding something pre-fabbed. What I don't know about fabrication can fill a book lol.

I am not sure what my final exhaust set up will be and I don't know how to weld, so keeping my options open and easily reversible are important to me, but an exhaust comprised of hella clamps doesn't sound ideal either.

While I'm at it, anyone have any tips or tricks for the removal/install? I'll keep researching the boards but figured I'd ask
- I'm planning to remove the oxygen sensor from the car before taking out the OEM downpipe. I think I read it's doable with offset o2 wrench, extensions, and adjustable angle ratchet? Slather copper anti-seize on o2 extension and sensor threads and attach to IE pipe before install?
- To help the get the old pipe out, I want to twist counter clockwise as I try to work it out correct?
- Anything else that might make my life easier?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wouldn’t bother with the turbo gasket, it actually a fire ring and won’t be disturbed unless you purposely seek it out (digging it out with a pick).

Also, I leave the o2 sensor installed. Much easier to R&R it off the car.

The proper DP rotation will leave it v band facing up and the aft end of the downpipe behind your passenger front tire. It only comes out one way, so be patient don’t fight it.

I can’t discuss the resonator here, but you know my recommendation already

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Bump from the dead - The IE downpipe is here and taking up space in my apartment. It a beautiful piece of engineering, and I'm loving the koozie and stickers they sent with it! I should be free to install next weekend! Going to pick up a new gasket from the dealer in the meantime. As per Oddspyke, a Vibrant straight spacer with the medium insert is ready to go as well. There is one *slight* difference from clamps shown in the online instructions to what I received. Instead of a 2.5 inch slip fit exhaust clamp, they sent a 2.5 inch lap joint connector. I'm going to order a new 2.5 inch slip fit exhaust clamp just to appease my anal retentiveness.

I will attempt to run IE downpipe with AWE Track exhaust. When I get annoyed with that, I am debating whether to throw the OEM exhaust back on or cutting/clamping/welding in a Vibrant 17950 Vibrant resonator to the AWE midpipe. Or ordering Jake's AWE resonated midpipe. Or biting the bullet for the AWE touring section. I am also be interested in running a 3 inch TBE. Thinking a 3 inch clamp (Butt joint? Lap Joint?) and a new section of 304 stainless exhaust pipe mated to the AWE catback might work. Ideally, I'd like to run a length of slip fit pipe from the downpipe and mate that up to the exhaust, but I am having difficulties finding something pre-fabbed. What I don't know about fabrication can fill a book lol.

I am not sure what my final exhaust set up will be and I don't know how to weld, so keeping my options open and easily reversible are important to me, but an exhaust comprised of hella clamps doesn't sound ideal either.

While I'm at it, anyone have any tips or tricks for the removal/install? I'll keep researching the boards but figured I'd ask
- I'm planning to remove the oxygen sensor from the car before taking out the OEM downpipe. I think I read it's doable with offset o2 wrench, extensions, and adjustable angle ratchet? Slather copper anti-seize on o2 extension and sensor threads and attach to IE pipe before install?
- To help the get the old pipe out, I want to twist counter clockwise as I try to work it out correct?
- Anything else that might make my life easier?

Thanks in advance!
Mine worked with the largest, most open spacer if you want to swap it before you install. I'm too busy before Christmas to lend a hand, but I can lend any tools you might need seeing as you're right around the corner. O2 socket, high temp anti-seize, and the like if you need them.

I didn't have a problem getting the sensor out before removing the DP, but that might not be the case for you. Pretty easy to try though; anything to make getting the factory pipe out easier.

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Jake - Thank you for the input and saving me a few bucks/headache! There is at least one VERY helpful thread on here about the Vibrant resonator, with a good video showing how nicely the the Vibrant resonator pairs with a dp/AWE Track exhaust, and I know of one very skilled fabricator. It all depends on my exhaust endgame/budget for which direction I ultimately go in.

Oddspyke - Appreciate it man! I think I'm good to go on tools/supplies but thank you for the offer! I'll edit my earlier post about the spacer size as I was working off memory. Not always the most reliable lol. I'll try getting the o2 sensor off first - I can envision myself getting it all tangled/damage as I try to rip the factory dp out. If it's too much of a hassle I'm sure I can work around it.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
LOVE my Ultimate racing downpipe, best deal out there. I had a UR catted and resonated dp on my k04 mk6 and now on my mk7. It's near stock silent and arguably their black friday/holiday deal is the best pricing out there. Never had any issues and if you want catted and resonated, it's one of the only options