GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe What's the best brand ?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Why not just use a spacer on the uni dp?
Tried everything, 3 spacers tons of settings driving trying to set readiness. In the end the result was that my O2 sensor had actually gone bad (pretty rare for that to happen)

Regardless, the UNI DP rev I had purchased at the time (in 2016) did not have a high quality catalyst.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For what it's worth, I also helped install an ARM FMIC which was even easier than yours, since there's zero drilling required at all. Their mouning brackets attach to already existing spots, and also include an actual spot for the ambient air sensor to be attached, no zip ties required. But, is it really a modified car if there's no zip ties somewhere? 🤣

There’s something to be said for mounting something solid vs just mounting it to be easy. (Hanging stuff from a stud vs command strip).

Being realistic with how stuff gets treated by FedEx is the reason for not tabbing the sensor. Absolutely nothing wrong with a zip tie for something that weighs 1oz.

Tried everything, 3 spacers tons of settings driving trying to set readiness. In the end the result was that my O2 sensor had actually gone bad (pretty rare for that to happen)

Regardless, the UNI DP rev I had purchased at the time (in 2016) did not have a high quality catalyst.

They haven’t changed. I was given one and there’s been zero interest at $500 for it used with about 2-3k miles on it.

20555490-3957-4D9C-8B32-C7703C7B1E03.jpeg

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I like my uni dp. Great fit and a quality piece. Never had any issues. Don't smell any gas. I didn't buy it with the illusion that it won't cause a cel without a tune.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
They haven’t changed. I was given one and there’s been zero interest at $500 for it used with about 2-3k miles on it.

View attachment 259543

Totally different design than what I had. My Unitronic R downpipe had a Vband right below the catted section so you could swap catted and catless from the top of the engine bay. The cat had no heatshield and I believe looked to be magnaflow or some other ceramic oem based on the magnet test.

This was when they first released it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Totally different design than what I had. My Unitronic R downpipe had a Vband right below the catted section so you could swap catted and catless from the top of the engine bay. The cat had no heatshield and I believe looked to be magnaflow or some other ceramic oem based on the magnet test.

This was when they first released it.

I stand corrected. The development car for my AWD DP/MP was the original owner of that UNI DP. He was frustrated with the smell and CEL which led to him bringing the car to SC from Illinois for the full TBE.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Over three years later and my 3.5 BIG inches of cast CTS downpipe is still running (and smelling) strong

swifty1

Ready to race!
I have the milltek HJS catted option. It is very pricey but it sounds mature and it throws no CEL. It is rated as a 3" downpipe but the cast upper section is very big and transitions smoothly into a massive diameter catalyst, so i assume it flows better than a mandel bent 3". With the resonated turbo back it is almost too quiet. Mine shipped within a week.

I have no doubt that the baun DP is awesome, but the milltek also throws no CEL, at the same price point, with no waiting list....

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
JFC. Who hurt you? Rallying a crusade against a guy making essentially bespoke parts for cars isn’t a good way to channel your energy.

I’m pretty sure he isn’t getting rich off the parts he’s making.

I cater to the 1% on this platform.

Nothing to do with money, it’s the 1% who understand & appreciate what I’m doing.

Honestly, that makes it that much more rewarding in-spite of losing money hand over fist vs just picking up a OT shift every once in a while.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
JFC. Who hurt you? Rallying a crusade against a guy making essentially bespoke parts for cars isn’t a good way to channel your energy.

I’m pretty sure he isn’t getting rich off the parts he’s making.
To you it may be "a guy making essentially bespoke parts", to me it is "Baun Performance, Limited Liability Company, making essentially bespoke parts".

Baun Performance making derogatory comments about products available from competing businesses, without a validated reason, is the issue.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
To you it may be "a guy making essentially bespoke parts", to me it is "Baun Performance, Limited Liability Company, making essentially bespoke parts".

Baun Performance making derogatory comments about products available from competing businesses, without a validated reason, is the issue.

What company are you representing in its official capacity with the claims you make on these forums Jeffrey Jones?

How is it I’m held to one standard while everyone else is held to none?

I’ll point out whatever I feel like, and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it. Stop standing up for dog shit quality Chinese parts and I’ll stop protecting people from wasting their hard earned money on them. You honestly think anyone is cross shopping the “Rev9” eBay downpipe with mine? I’d hardly call me speaking from experience on their lack of quality “making derogatory comments about products available from competing businesses, without a validated reason”.

-Jake Baun (in his official capacity as a car enthusiast).

Last edited:

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
What company are you representing in its official capacity with the claims you make on these forums Jeffrey Jones?

How is it I’m held to one standard while everyone else is held to none?

I’ll point out whatever I feel like, and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it. Stop standing up for dog shit quality Chinese parts and I’ll stop protecting people from wasting their hard earned money on them. You honestly think anyone is cross shopping the “Rev9” eBay downpipe with mine? I’d hardly call me speaking from experience on their lack of quality “making derogatory comments about products available from competing businesses, without a validated reason”.

-Jake Baun (in his official capacity as a car enthusiast).
"You honestly think anyone is cross shopping the “Rev9” eBay downpipe with mine?"

No. That's the only sentence I agree with you on.

"me speaking from experience" - is an opinion.

Of course, there's nothing stopping a business (you) from telling consumers that competitor products will cost more in the long run. If you cannot back it up, you've violated federal advertising law, and probably a section of the South Carolina Unfair Trade Practices Act.

The laws exist to protect consumers from being misled by claims from a business that affect the consumer's purchase decision, that the business cannot substantiate.

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
"You honestly think anyone is cross shopping the “Rev9” eBay downpipe with mine?"

No. That's the only sentence I agree with you on.

"me speaking from experience" - is an opinion.

Of course, there's nothing stopping a business (you) from telling consumers that competitor products will cost more in the long run. If you cannot back it up, you've violated federal advertising law, and probably a section of the South Carolina Unfair Trade Practices Act.

The laws exist to protect consumers from being misled by claims from a business that affect the consumer's purchase decision, that the business cannot substantiate.
the butthurt is strong with this one.

P.S. the MAPerformance downpipe with the GESi cat is also a good option if you need to pass emissions. I am running one on my 2018 and all emissions monitors have set and no CEL.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

adam1911 are you back with a new profile? youre honestly ridiculous

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Are you still trying to sue guys with cancer over parts they didn't make or sell?