GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe reducer to stock TSI exhaust?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Can't find answer on here and probably a noob question.

Looking to get a downpipe and it seems most FWD MQB downpipes are listed to fit both GTI and TSI. How is this when Catback for Golf is 2.25" in diameter and GTI is 2.5". Do they come with an adapter for both?

And to the more important question.
If I get a 3" downpipe and want to mate it with stock 2.25" exhaust, do I need 3" outer diameter to 2.25" OD or 3" OD to 2.25" ID or something else?

Can I just get a generic reducer or does it have to be from downpipe manufacturer?

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
I can't speak to the Golf sizing because I have a GTI but i just went through something similar. If you can get it from the manufacturer I would recommend going that route. The IE downpipe fitment was great but I bought it used and it didn't come with the original adapter because the seller used it with a 3 inch catback. IE doesn't stock the reducer seperately so I actually bought one from APR and then had it expanded but the combination was still too long and I had to take a little off of the catback side. The IE downpipe fitment was great but I bought it used and it didn't come with the adapter because the seller used a 3inch cutback with it originally.

Also it seems that APR lists the 1.8 catback as having a 60mm diameter so double check before buying the adapter.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Can't find answer on here and probably a noob question.

Looking to get a downpipe and it seems most FWD MQB downpipes are listed to fit both GTI and TSI. How is this when Catback for Golf is 2.25" in diameter and GTI is 2.5". Do they come with an adapter for both?

And to the more important question.
If I get a 3" downpipe and want to mate it with stock 2.25" exhaust, do I need 3" outer diameter to 2.25" OD or 3" OD to 2.25" ID or something else?

Can I just get a generic reducer or does it have to be from downpipe manufacturer?

This is what you need:

https://store.goapr.com/products/APR-Exhaust-Reducer-%2d-76mm-to-60mm-%2d-1.8T.html

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I can't speak to the Golf sizing because I have a GTI but i just went through something similar. If you can get it from the manufacturer I would recommend going that route. IE doesn't stock the reducer seperately so I actually bought one from APR and then had it expanded but the combination was too long and I had to take a little off of the catback side.

Also it seems that APR lists the 1.8 catback as having a 60mm diameter so double check before buying the adapter.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll just order the APR one.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The downpipe I got comes with clamps. Do you recommend something different.

20200409_113802.jpg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The 76 mm clamp will connect the DP to the APR reducer. The 60mm clamp will connect the APR reducer to the factory exhaust.

@GTI Jake , what do you think of the clamps in @MonkeyMD 's pics vs the ones I linked?

Last edited:

Scanner

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI 1.8
I have a 2018 TSI, now with stage 2 Unitronic and the Unitronic downpipe which came as a complete package (reducer, clamps). The fit was like OEM, easy install, great quality and results, however, more expensive than other brands. I'm very satisfied, in my opinion, the extra $ worth.
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-14 at 12.30.42 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-14 at 12.31.49 PM.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
In the Subaru side I've used cheap chinese downpipes and higher quality pieces. I can't say there was much performance difference, but there's something to be said for a well made, OEM fitting piece that you could use as a art piece. That's a nice looking DP.